Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2004, 06:10 AM   #1
Ann

Grout dried too light

My tile man used TEC Kahlua Cream grout on Monday. It dried too light- looked more like antique white. He came in yesterday (Thursday) to seal it and also thought it was lighter than it should be. He suggested using TEC stone sealer and enhancer to seal it so that it would darken up. My question to him was "Will the color be even?". He said yes. He put two coats on yesterday and today it still looks splotchy and uneven. Where should we go from here? Should I let him add more sealer or does it need to be removed and started over? If he starts over, how do I get the color grout that the sample shows?

Go Bucks!
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Mike2

Hi Ann.

Sorry to hear about your problems, really sorry. I sure wish we could have caught this before the enhancer was applied.

I'm moving your Thread over to our Tile and Stone Restoration Forum where the experts over their can take good care of you.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Ann, Welcome!

The grout will not even out as is, and the enhancer will need to be removed in order to do so.

First find out exactly what product was used, and call their technical service department. If it was TEC, here's the number - TEC technical service department 800.832.9023

The grout probably had too much wash out, and developed a "skin" in areas where excess water was used. Sometimes something as simple as a vinegar & water wash would remove this, but not with the sealer/enhancer on top.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us, and let us know how it's going, or if you need more help.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
Ann

Well, he ended up removing the stone and grout enhancer (yes it was TEC) and put grout colorant on it. It looks great now, hopefully it will wear well. Thanks for your help!

Go Bucks!
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase