Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
makemenuconfig

Review my new construction shower/bathroom design

I am drafting plans for an addition, looking at the master bath at the moment. I want a curbless shower ideally without a door, I have the opportunity to drop the subfloor in the shower area up to 4". I need to decide where that should be done, and to do that I need to know the finished design, elevations, and slope of the shower.

There is a large partition wall which contains the shower. The drain will be a linear drain sloping down to the back end of the shower area. Shower heads will be typical shower head, rainfall head, and wand. I am hoping the walls and sheer depth of the shower are enough to contain the splashing.

I was planning to keep the bathroom tile flat at one elevation, including the area at the entrance of the shower where the bench is. This would be within 1/4" of the flooring in the rest of the house. Then the rectangle which makes up the shower would obviously have typical slope. I'm using large format tile, so this simple slope and transition from flat to slope would be relatively easy to achieve.

What do you think about this design? I want to avoid water splashing out that doesn't drain. I just don't know if what I have here is enough is sufficient to do that. I have a few other design variations and am open to new ideas here.

Would really appreciate the help,
Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 11-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Evan.

Some dimensions on the drawing for the shower would help in evaluating the potential for curbless/doorless construction and use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
...the shower would obviously have typical slope.
Not sure what you might consider typical, but the minimum required slope is 1/4" per horizontal foot.

Have you considered the slip/fall potential of using those large format tiles in a usually barefoot always wet area?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
makemenuconfig

Quote:
Some dimensions on the drawing for the shower would help
Good point. I'm attaching a drawing with dimensions.

Quote:
Have you considered the slip/fall potential
This is a good question. Not really, I'm pretty early for actual tile selection. I was hoping for large format, so I wanted to make the design work easily for that. If it turns out to be impractical, it should be easier to pick a smaller tile, or something like those pebble stone mosaics.

1/4" per foot is the number I had in my head.
Attached Images

Unread 11-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If you have the necessary slope the 6' length of the shower will be sufficient to prevent water from migrating past the transition from flat floor to sloped floor, Evan. But with the rain head running you might get some light sprinkles on flat floor, but not enough to worry about.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'm thinking the sprinkles could be a bit heavier than Dan thinks, Evan. I'd move that rain head as far back from the opening as would still be comfortable for use.

I'd also recommend you consider reducing the size of your entry opening a bit, also.

Unread 11-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Gozo

Aside from the floor slope comments; and this is just a personal observation...
My water heater is a ways from the bathroom and in the mornings it takes a bit of time for the warm water to make it from the heater to the shower head. My shower control is an easy reach to get to from the shower entry. I reach in, turn it on, let it warm up while I’m getting naked, and hop in.
With a 6’ distance from the entry to the controls, you’d need either really long arms, get blasted with cold spray, or run real fast to beat the spray. If you’ve got an on demand water heater right there, not a problem. Or if you have the controls more accessible from the entryway.
Just mentioning as this is the stage to think about the little ergonomic bits rather then after you’re getting ready for the first use.
Unread 11-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Just basing my comments from experience in my own shower.

In the photo below the shower foot print is roughly 83"X42". The rod for the hand held isn't centered on the long wall but, in it's current orientation, the head is roughly centered. The walk in opening itself is 26.5".

That leaves roughly 15 inches of glass panel to block the spray and yet I get almost no water on the floor just outside of the opening. The closest towel gets a little wet but still usable, the end of the bench only gets a bit of spray, the right end wall gets none.

The C/L of your rain head to the opening appears to be 36". The fact that you'll be using a rain head makes the difference; with much less pressure comes much less water ricocheting off body parts.

I think it'll work.

Totally agree with Jeff's comments about the control valve placement.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

I also agree with Jeff's comment about the control location. Indeed, I just assumed you would put it somewhere other than under the shower head in that layout, 'specially with the rainhead where it is.

Unread 11-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
makemenuconfig

Jeff, great suggestion. I was indeed planning to place the controls closer to the shower entrance. Somewhere where it is easy to turn on from outside, but not too far to adjust while showering.

CX, reducing the entry opening would help. What is an appropriate width in your opinion, something around 30"? Wouldn't want it to feel cramped or like the bench was in the way.

Dan, thanks for the real world example. Nice looking bathroom!

Sounds like if I tuck the rainhead back a little, I should be good with a non-sloped entrance area. I'm thinking I'll drop the joists on the whole shower area, and can build up the entrance area with plywood. That way I have more options later if I need them when plans turn into the real world.

Thanks again.
Unread 11-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Appropriate width to my thinking is something closer to 24 inches, Evan. I've never had a customer think that was too small, but that's entirely up to you. You can leave the entire end open as you've shown if you like.

And I can't say if the bench would be a factor. I don't think what you've depicted in your drawing is actually what you'll have for a bench, right? I think you'd actually wanna mock that up and be sure exactly how you want to arrange that area.

As for dropping the floor, I think I'd be inclined to drop the whole area and build it all back up with deck mud. Depending upon your drain selection and how you install it, you shouldn't need to drop more than about 3 inches.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase