Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Jlinkrn

Tile grout issues-see photo

Hey guys/girls,
I need some expert opinions and advice on the issue I am having with my tile and installation. I had this projected performed by a professional. However they have no explaination of what’s causing the issue. The instillation was completed and I noticed some diffuse spots that made the grout appear to be wet or dirty all the time. They came back out and dremeled all the joints to reapply and the same thing happened again! But in different areas. It’s not moisture seeping through the grout because the dark spots do not penetrate throughout. It also does not go away after the grout dries. It remains all the time making it look like crap. Unsanded grout was used. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
It’s not moisture seeping through the grout because the dark spots do not penetrate throughout.
1. How was it determined that it was not moisture?

2. How was it determined when the grout in those areas was wet or dry?

3. What waterproofing method was used on the shower walls?

4. What bonding mortar was used and how was it applied to walls and/or tiles?

4. Specifically, what grout was used?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Jlinkrn

Thank you for your reply

1) The dark spots appear to be only on the outer surface of the grout. I did not specifically watch the installers apply the grout between the tile however when they left and I looked over the project the dark spots were there and remain there even after 72 hours and a fan blowing on the grout. They did say that it was wet grout and would dry however when it has dried the dark spots have remained.

2) it has now been five days and it still looks like that. The shower has not been used since to rule out the potential of moisture coming from the shower.

3) I believe it was green drywall or green board I guess that was used underneath the tile. It was a new construction.

4/5) TEC grout was used. I was also told that it does not need to be sealed? However I would not think at this point that would make a difference because we have not use the shower and it appears to be wet however when scratching just the outer surface it removes that dark grout
Unread 03-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

3. Ouch!

If your tile is actually bonded to gypsum drywall in a shower you have a far more serious problem than blotchy grout. But perhaps we can address the grout issue while you verify that shower construction.

4. Please be more specific on which TEC grout. You've given the manufacturer, now give us the make and model, as it were.

We have has some persistent problems with at least one of TEC's grouts here, but your discoloration does not spring to my mind as one of the complaints.

The fact that the proper color exists below the darkened surface of the grout in the problem areas is a bit strange. Not at all uncommon to have complaints of a white residue on the surface of darker grouts, but I don't recall any such as you have. Perhaps one of our members who uses TEC grouts on a regular basis will have some insight for you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's most likely unsanded grout. You might try rubbing the grout with fine steel wool in a place or two and see if it takes away the dark spots on the surface. Just wrap a little steel wool around the tip of your finger. Make sure the steel wool doesn't scratch the tiles, I doubt it will.

Same concerns as Cx about the tile over green board.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
Jlinkrn

Here is some pictures of the material beneath the tile. Sorry I was mistaken about the material used underneath.
Attached Images

Unread 03-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
speed51133

that's kerdi sheet membrane. drywall is probably under it. from the looks of it, it looks pretty good. I would not worry about that part of it. most likely the kind of grout used or the age of the grout or the water used to mix it or the amount of mortar in the grout joints .

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase