Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
MarvalSam

Kerdi drain flange covered by pan?!?!

Hi guys, we're finally around to getting the pan poured and so far on attempt #2. Had my plumber pour this one, but his guy didn't follow the instructions and instead poured over the lip of the flange so it looks like the pic below (not like how it's supposed to be) and it created a "hump." Is this a jackhammer it all out and get a new drain/flange or can I compensate with a new layer to create the proper slope (doubtful, but I'm beyond myself angry).
Attached Images

Unread 03-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
MarvalSam

Flange... not flame. Damn autocorrect..
Unread 03-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Lou_MA

Unfortunately, it’s a jackhammer out and replace drain and pan. The fleece on the drain will be wrecked trying to get it clean.

Also - what did plumber use for the pan? Concrete? It should be deck mud, a very weak mix that’s mostly sand, with a bit of cement.
Unread 03-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
MarvalSam

Lou, thanks for the response. I got it down to the fleece without any damage (amazingly)!
Unread 03-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
ZZZK

Samantha what's up with your shower walls? I see a big gap between the pan and the walls. Do you have a wider picture?
Unread 03-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Kman

It would be best at this point if you use a straight edge and a level and check all the way around the floor, making sure you have a smooth, gradual slope from the walls to the drain, with no dips or humps, and a bare minimum of fall of 1/4" per foot.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
MarvalSam

John, I noticed that as well. It looks worse in the pic because it seemed to get darker up against the wall. He's heading back over to look at it this afternoon.
Kevin, yeah, its definitely bumpy. I got some of it sloped right with a masonry sander, but it needs some addl work get the slope right since a lot of it is level or dipping on the edges...ugh

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase