Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
zzmac

Backsplash Project Question

Hi all,

I just found this forum and it looks like a great resource.

I'm tackling my first backsplash project (glass mosaic) tomorrow(!) and have some last minute questions I need help with.

1. There is an existing small bead of silicone caulking between my granite countertop and the walls. I want to scrape this off so it's at least just a fraction below or level with the countertop. I'll be re-caulking the bottom row of the backsplash when done. Is there any issue with scraping out some of this caulking?

2. I have black galaxy granite countertops and I've attached a pic of the backsplash I'll be using. Does anyone have picks of backsplash using similar type tiles where a piece(s) of the glass was used as a bullnose?

3. It'll be an L shaped backsplash with an exposed wall where the cabinets end and where I'll put the bullnose pieces. Should I start the project with the bullnose pieces and then work my way around the wall from there?

4. There are 3 colors of glass in the tile (light gray (looks white in pic), silver and dark gray). I know it's personal preference but which of the 3 colors would you try to match with the grout?

Thanks very much in advance for all your answers!!!
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
zzmac

Regarding #1 - I already took the caulking out so you can disregard that question.

I'm looking forward to some help on my other questions.

Thanks!!
Unread 11-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Kman

#2 - Look through this thread and see if you find what you're looking for. Also, if you know the name of the tile you're installing, you can plug it into the Advanced search feature and possibly find it somewhere on our site.

#3 - Yes, except that you could end up at the other end with some tiny little pieces that are almost impossible to cut. I might lay out the tile on the floor or countertop if possible and see how large the cuts are going to be at each end and plan accordingly. You could start at either end and work toward the middle, but your pieces won't match up, if that's important to you.

#4 - Go with the middle one. Hard to go wrong with that.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
zzmac

Grout/Caulking Help Needed

I finished installing my new kitchen backsplash and am happy with the results.

I have caulking (bottom & top rows) and grouting to do. What order do I do this? If I do the grouting first I'm concerned with getting grout where the caulking is going to go. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Unread 11-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

You'll wanna do your grouting first, let that cure, then apply your flexible sealant.

Keep the grout cleaned out of the joints to receive the flexible sealant. Not usually all that difficult to do.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase