Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #16
johnssc1

Is it acceptable to glue a small piece of kerdi board there, if the whole thing will be banded?

Something else I noticed. Part of the room will have a heated floor, and part won't (under the cabinet, under the tub, near the toilet)

Can you transition from ditra heat to ditra by using a larger notched trowel (maybe 1/2 by 1/2) on the ditra? It looks like the ditra heat is about 1/8 thicker than regular ditra. Or do I have to splurge and use ditra heat everywhere?
Attached Images

Unread 10-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Splurge, Steve, it'll make your life a whole bunch easier.

It will be extremely difficult to build up the height of the regular Ditra with a thick bed of mortar while maintaining a uniform height across the area.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #18
johnssc1

Things are coming along nicely. The tile and edging is in and I am going to start laying it this week

Is it best to thinset in Dilex eke before the tile? Or at the same time? Picture for reference
Attached Images

Unread 01-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #19
ss3964spd

I'd do it at the same time.
Unread 01-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #20
Kman

Definitely at the time you set the tile. It would never stay in place beforehand.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #21
johnssc1

The tile I'm putting down is scabos travertine. It has some nice quartz inclusions that go through the tile. It seems like a waste to grout these. Would a clear epoxy hold up?
Attached Images

Unread 01-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #22
ss3964spd

I think the clear epoxy would hold up just fine, especially on a bathroom floor. My only concern would be that the epoxy may not be completely clear, and might yellow over time.

Still, will probably be nicer than grout.
Unread 01-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #23
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A true clear epoxy might allow some coloration of the thinset underneath to show through. You might like this translucent one https://laticrete.com/en/tile-and-st...nslucent-grout

Any coloration of the tile would tend to be mirrored by the grout.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #24
johnssc1

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I almost have a full floor.

At the doorway out of the bathroom, I'm stumped on the best way to handle the drop off. The bathroomnis built up on a second layer of 5/8 plywood, so there is a drop-off at the threshold

I could use a Reno TK, but the lip would be too high and would just catch feet. Option 1 is a Reno U, but you would still sort of see the subfloor peeking out. Option 2 is a Trep FL, which would cover the plywood, but would stick out more over the carpet.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 04-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #25
johnssc1

I've run into a problem here. I was planning on treating the half wall corner like a countertop and using a rondec step to cover up the drywall/kerdi interface. Im finding out that the 90s only come in horizontal turns, not vertical turns, and I'm trying to avoid mitering

Is there any trim that exists that would cover up the gap AND has a vertical 90? Or does anyone have any thought on this?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase