Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
mynewoldhome

I just bought my first (old) home and considering renovating the bathroom. Advice?

hi all. glad to join this forum and looking forward to learning as i go.

for the above referenced project i plan to pay a contractor.

right now we're doing a "freshening up" of the 2nd floor hallway bathroom. per the photos, you can see it needs it. interestingly the subway tile around the shower/tub looks pretty good.

the plan at the moment is to match the rest of the subway tile on the walls to the tile currently around the shower/tub area. we're also planning on replacing the floor. it appears the floor might be asbestos so we're contemplating just tiling over it vs. removing it entirely. would be curious what the board thinks about this idea?

i guess i'll need to pay a plumber to remove the hot water radiator so they can get behind it properly?

lastly, any decent (but not expensive) tile to look at? i've been looking at datile, american olean, etc.

anything else that looks off/or i should consider?

thanks again and looking forward to being a part of this community!

Unread 01-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Matt, welcome. If you plan to tile other walls and want the new tiles to tie in with the old, the first thing I would do is bring some sample tiles home to make sure they are the same size. The A-4200 mud type bullnose you have is still available but matching the exact shade of your old tiles might be hard to do.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
mynewoldhome

thanks Davy.

my issue now is that since i mentioned the tile could contain asbestos, my contractor backed out saying it's now a liability...

what should i do next? how do i find a contractor that's comfortable and able to handle old asbestos tile properly?

thanks!
Unread 01-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never done it but it would probably be best to go over the floor tiles with cement board. But, lets get the opinion from others first. Years ago, before we knew better, we removed a lot of those old asphalt tiles. I'm not going to tell you to do it though. I would want to make sure they are all bonded well and that there's no soft (rotten) places in the floor. Can you get to the space under the floor, maybe a basement to check it out?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase