Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
RSquirrel

Schluter Trim Install Advice

I am seeking advice regarding the installation of Schluter tile edge trim (e.g. Q100AT or A100AT) along the exposed vertical edges (12x24 porcelain) of a shower enclosure’s side walls. I won’t be installing this myself, but I need to know if contractors quoting my project can be expected to do so, if they have little or no experience with these products (our HOA has only approved two tiling contractors, so my candidates are limited). Also, I’m trying to educate myself so that I have an appreciation of the complexity of the project for the successful bidder.

From videos I’ve watched, the entire length (i.e. ~96”) of trim must first be imbedded into thinset and pressed into the substrate. It’s apparent that the plane of the field tile is now ‘locked-in’ to coincide with the face/edge of the trim piece. The next step consists of setting the tile into more thinset over the ‘anchoring leg’ of the trim. It would seem that there’s a potential for the thinset securing the trim to start setting up, before the top courses of tile are set (especially on a wall with a time-consuming niche installation). If so, adjusting the relationship between the face of the tiles and the trim edge, so that they are flush with each other, could be problematic. Deferring the application of thinset behind the upper portion of the trim cannot be a solution, as a good bond would not be realized by forcing thinset through the trim’s trapezoidal holes.

I’m sure there is more to this than is depicted in the rather curse Schluter video. Please share any thoughts on how you would/do manage this seemingly difficult challenge. Thanks . . .
Unread 03-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
redlude97

They can set the strip with a little hot glue or super glue. I set mine with the first few rows of tiles the. Held it in place with some tape as I worked up the wall and filled in as I went
Unread 03-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You must embed it into thin set when used on a floor to ensure you you full coverage to prevent any possible movement, but you don’t walk on a wall, so, in a class with Schluter, their recommendation was to place the trim on the wall where required then spread thin set over it. The thin set between the tile through the holes in the profile will support the tile to the wall and then, you won’t have a layer of thin set showing between the trim and the wall that isn’t finished. You do need to do something to hold it in place while you’re then starting to set the tile that will lock it in place once it cures. Tape or a little hot glue would work.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
pls

I used a profile in a similar situation and for what ever reason decided to not put the trim piece up until after the tile was up. I used a putty knife to get mortar behind the edge of tile and then set the profile. I am not suggesting you do this but my profile is solid and not going anywhere so I would not be too concerned on what method is used to install the profile.
Unread 03-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #5
RSquirrel

redlude97/jadnashua/pls,

Thanks much for each of your responses. From your advice, I now feel more comfortable with using the Schluter trim.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase