Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
cnap

1/4” backer board or SLC under ditra?

Laying 3/8” porcelain tile and I need to bring a small section of the subfloor up 1/4”. It’s about 2’x16’. Basically I have a 1/4” discrepancy on the subfloor of a kitchen bump out and need to level off the existing (prior kitchen) lower section. Can I just build up the thinset in that area (1/4 plus the 1/8 that will be used on the other subfloor for the ditra)?

Or SLC to address the 1/4”? Or 1/4” backer board without thinset underneath (thinset and ditra on top). From what I’ve read I’m pretty sure plywood filler is a bad idea but wasn’t sure about backer board or just building it up with thinset since it’s only an extra 1/4”. Thanks.

Chase
Unread 03-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

DitraXL might give you enough extra height along with a slightly deeper notched trowel.

1/4” cbu , once you put the thin set under it and over it, will probably raise things a bit higher than you want.

What is the other surface you’re trying to match? If it’s wood, it’s fairly easy to make or have made a transition piece, or there are some profiles that can help if you like the look.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
cnap

All of the tile will transition to a hardwood floor but the area with the 1/4” subfloor depth issue is under where the tile will go, so I’d prefer not to have transition between tile and another transition to hardwood.

I think your suggestion might work fine. Use ditra xl and a bit more thinset then transition to regular ditra. I should be able to also fudge a bit with this right at the transition point to ensure the tile is flat when setting it, right?
Unread 03-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As long as you do not exceed the maximum depth of the thin set, a little more or less is usually okay. How deep the material you need for a particular installation depends on a few factors, mostly on how flat things are, both the back of the tile and the substrate. You need a complete coat and ideally, full coverage, and that requires at least some minimum thickness of the thin set material.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase