Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Billwiser

Did I break all the rules?

Let me start by saying that my profession is landscape construction. I primarily work outside. I had the help of a friend who did interior construction. We gutted the old bathroom to the studs. To do the shower we sistered new studs to the existing ones and stapled roofing felt to the walls and floor. We poured a mud pan sloping to a linear drain. We used what I assume is the equivalent to redgard for the liquid membrane, making sure to tape seams and corners. Curb and half wall cap were mortared and siliconed. All thinset is latex modified.

I'm embarrassed to say that this project has taken 3 years to finish. I finally got around to grouting the shower with quartzlock2 and as I was about to grout the floor I noticed one tile sounded hollow. After breaking the tile out and trying to gently remove it, I accidently tore a section of the membrane. The tub of liquid membrane I have has been climate controlled in the dark for two years, but I'm hesitant to use it. I imagine sealing the hole with silicone is probably not ideal. Should I buy a whole tub to fix this? Should I rip this all out? How badly have I screwed the pooch? I am learning that I probably did A LOT wrong here. I'm at the mercy of you guys. Looking forward to any advice.
Attached Images

Last edited by Billwiser; 05-01-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Billwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Not an expert, but I believe the experts will want to know how you tied the drain to that yellow stuff (which I think they may also question), and how the bench is waterproofed. I am seeing water moving through the cement board, and into the bench underneath. I think they are also going to want to know more about the yellow stuff. Like who makes it.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
Kman

It's TEC brand, which is fine for showers. But just covering the seams really doesn't do much good. And I can't tell how the bench is waterproofed, which is a critical part in the waterproofing.

Did you break every rule? I doubt it. There's probably one or two still intact.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Billwiser

Thanks for the reply. We set the drain and poured the pan around it. The yellow stuff is TEC Waterproofing and crack prevention membrane. Lowe's is our local store and this is what they carried. I installed two coats at a thickness of 25mil per the instructions. I applied the membrane over the lip of the drain where it met the pan. All changes of plane were taped. The seams on the durock walls were also "parged" (not sure if that's the correct term for this application) with TEC latex modified mortar before applying any waterproofing. The waterproofing membrane runs up and over the tops of the curb and wall. Every surface in the shower has the membrane rolled over the durock. The bench consists of a 2x4 frame clad in durock with waterproofing applied to it. The bench frame was built to have positive slope away from the wall.

Forgive me if I'm leaving out any pertinent details. Thanks for the help!
Unread 05-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
kdev

I'm definitely not a pro, but did you ever do a 24hr flood test to see if that shower pan is 100% leak free?

Data sheet for the TEC product attached. This may help you decide what to do...

Shelf Life
Maximum of 1 year from date of manufacture in unopened package.
Unread 05-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
Billwiser

I've attached a few additional pictures. The one with the micrometer is just to show you guys how the drain is tied in to the waterproofing, you can disregard the micrometer. The fun little colorful one is in case there are people like me who sometimes need visuals. I didn't draw the felt paper in, but you can see in the pics that it is behind the durock. In the drawing the pink is supposed to represent my durock and the yellow is the membrane. I'm sorry for all the pictures uploading sideways. I don't own a desktop or a laptop so I'm uploading everything from my phone. I'll jump over to the Liberry again in case I missed something on posting pictures from a phone. I'll be honest, I didn't look up infranview for my phone. I'll try to get some pictures up that don't require you to cock your head to the side to look at them
Attached Images

Unread 05-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
Billwiser

I did do a flood test and never lost a drop of water. This shower is on the second floor of my house, if that detail matters or clears anything up. I was working 70hrs/week on night shift when I started this project. So the process didn't move too quickly. Everything had time to cure as I was pretty well only working on it during weekends. I think I left water in it for 3 days when I did the food test? Maybe longer? That was 4 years ago, but I know it held water well past 24hrs. I also didn't do the flood test until the membrane had probably about a week to set up. I know it only needs 24hrs. I was just running on fumes at the time and the bathroom wasn't my top priority. I called TEC last week hoping they would tell me different than their data sheet, but like you said, it only had a 1 year shelf life. The idea of using silicone is appealing because I don't want to buy a whole tub to do that one spot. I did read on here that the silicone doesn't play nice with cement though. I hate to waste a whole tub of membrane, but I hate the idea of a leaky shower more.

I'm really appreciating all the help thus far!
Unread 05-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
Kman

Ok, so it sounds like you progressed beyond the first pictures you posted. If everything was waterproofed correctly, then I would have the same concerns about the membrane/drain connection.

Unread 05-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Billwiser

I'm afraid I'm not fully understanding what you're asking Kman. I drew some more pictures to explain what I did in case I explained it poorly before. The drain comes with a lip around it. The top of the drain extends up past the lip. We set the drain at the height we wanted and poured our floor around it. After the pan had a couple weeks to cure I applied the liquid membrane. I essentially "painted" it on to all the surfaces. I ran the membrane over the lip on the shower drain. In the drawing the orange represents the lip and the highlighter is the membrane again. The sample picture is of a drain similar to mine.
Attached Images

Unread 05-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
Kman

Do you remember what drain you used?

Unread 05-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #11
Billwiser

I honestly don't. I normally hang on to that stuff, but I'd say that somewhere in the course of the last four years it probably disappeared in a cleaning spree
Unread 05-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I doubt anyone here is going to give you the on using silicone to patch that tear. I'd buy a new bucket. I assume a bucket of it costs about 50 bucks. Just think how much it'll cost if you use silicone and it leaks.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
Billwiser

Well I went to Lowe's and picked everything up. Doing some research , but I'm assuming that the mapelastic will stick to the tec and everything will go smoothly. I'll continue to research.
Attached Images

Unread 05-03-2020, 02:30 AM   #14
Kman

Did you end up buying a 50lb. bag of mortar? They sell 10 pounders at most stores.

Unread 05-03-2020, 07:23 AM   #15
Billwiser

That's all Lowe's had. 50lbs of grey or 50lbs of white. A $15 bag of mortar is much less of a blow than the $54 gallon of membrane for the thimble full of it that l need. Glad you said something though, I might check one or two other places around to to to see what they've got.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase