Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #301
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Funny you mentioned a dropped tile, Jeff. Last evening Mrs. Dan was reconsidering a glass accent tile, about 3X3, when I heard the unmistakable sound of it hitting the tile floor. I don't remember much after that as my black out lasted longer than I'd have guessed it would.

I've amassed an impressive stack of sizable cardboard pieces from the vanities, the large vanity mirrors, the box the Ditra heat mats came in, etc. Should have enough to cover the floors twice.

I may do the Masonite on the shower floor, CX, cheap insurance against bobbling one of the 12X24 wall tiles.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #302
ss3964spd

I'm struggling with this and would really appreciate some opinions.

Plan all along has been to use 12X24 wall tiles. The long back wall is almost exactly 84", and each end wall is approx. 45". No matter how I slice and dice I can't seem to get away from some 4" skinnies as the back wall wraps around the end wall(s) using a 1/3rd offset.

Am I missing something?
Attached Images

Unread 02-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #303
wwhitney

No, you're not missing anything. When the back wall is 3-1/2 tile widths, and you are doing a 1/3 offset with all 3 shifts, you are going to end up with 1/6 width tiles on the back wall. That is, 4" wide tiles. With the sidewall only 1-7/8 tile widths, you will also end up with a 1/24 width tile on the sidewall, i.e. 1".

[In the diagram you posted, you cheated the layout on the middle row of the right hand side to avoid the 1" end tile, you went 4"-16" wrapping around the corner.]

You could switch to a 1/4 offset, and then your smallest piece on the back wall would be a 1/4 width tile, or 6". That's the best you can do in terms of avoiding skinnies with a regular offset that isn't a 1/2 offset and using a progressing shift. [You could check your tiles to see if they are flat enough to support a 1/2 offset without excessive lippage.] That would give you a 1/8 tile on some end wall rows, or 3".

You could also look at offset patterns where every other row is the same, even though it is not a 1/2 offset.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #304
RipRap

As shown, your inconsistent/random offsets are disturbing to me. I think I would get away from the wrap concept and just layout a nice and consistent pattern for each wall, letting the corners add up as they will.

See if you can get a repeating 3 or 4 row pattern with equal shifts for each wall and see how that looks imo.
Unread 02-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #305
wwhitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
As shown, your inconsistent/random offsets are disturbing to me.
The diagram posted is not drawn well, so the offsets appear inconsistent, but based on the numbers it represents a consistent 8" offset with corners wrapped. [Except for the righthand corner in the second row, as previously noted.]

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 02-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #306
ss3964spd

Wayne, Kevin, thanks for the feedback.

I'll have to invest some additional "stare" time on this. Ease of installation would have the 12X24's simply stacked with no offset but that, to my eyes, imparts a more modern look. But it does solve the challenge in rear left and right corners, the most visible. But then again, it creates a challenge with the wall hung toilet bump out, which is about 36" wide.

Maybe using a 50% offset would do the trick, and just live with the resulting lippage to whatever degree the leveling system can't mitigate it.
Unread 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #307
RipRap

In my opinion, a 4 inch cut is not a "skinny", especially if it fits in an overall plan and is symmetrical.

If you had full tiles on one side and 4 in cuts on the other, that is a different kettle of fish....

If you drag that middle panel over a couple inches, you could have 6 in on both sides and it might look even better.

The back wall is the one seen straight on, the sides are less important since they are compressed from looking at an angle except during use.
Unread 03-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #308
ss3964spd

Deck mud for filling Better Benchs

In a previous post I was asking about deck mud for filling my Better Bench brand corner benches.

Would this Mapei 4 to 1 do the trick? The bag actually says "Ideal for floating shower bases". https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-4-to-...-Patch/3115749

Also, cx recommended adding some thin set mortar to the mud as an aid to bonding tile. Any idea how much to add to this 55lb bag of mud?
Unread 03-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #309
cx
Moderator emeritus

Those pre-bagged mortar mixes should be OK for your Better Bench, Dan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Also, cx recommended adding some thin set mortar to the mud as an aid to bonding tile.
Don't think CX said that. I do commonly toss a handful of thinset mortar into a small can of deck mud when filling under bonding flange drains or doing the front of a Better Bench, but it has nothing at all to do with bonding tile. Has to do with making the deck mud act more like fat mud in those applications.

No idea whether that would work or be needed with your MAPEI 4:1 mix. Never used the stuff outside a MAPEI training class and I've slept since then.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #310
ss3964spd

Thanks CX, I recall you mentioning adding TS mortar but perhaps I don't recall the reasoning behind it.

Moot point now that I think about it, as I'll be covering the mud on the bench tops and fronts with USG membrane.
Unread 03-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #311
cx
Moderator emeritus

The fronts of those benches I've found work better with a bit of metal lath screwed to the front with some stainless sheet metal screws, Dan, 'specially if the front needs to be extended a bit vertically to accommodate a particular tile pattern, which I've needed to do more than once. But even when I don't need that, It's become my habit to add the lath anyway just to better hold the mud on the face.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #312
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I think I've installed one Better Bench and I believe I used wall mud. But I bet Mapei 4 to 1 would work right out of the bag. I've used that mud once and found it didn't really act like the dry pack I make from scratch. Way too expensive too.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #313
ss3964spd

Wish I'd seen the lath tip sooner, as part of the front has already fallen off. Fail.

The instructions call for 3-4 quarts of water, I used about 3.7, which appears excessive as water is dripping out - and is probably why the front fell off.

I've done only 1 bench so far. I'll remove the rest of the front from the one and let the top cure. I'll mix the next batch dryer, and will definitely install the lath on both.

Thanks gentlemen, really do appreciate the advice.
Unread 03-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #314
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

"3-4 quarts of water" See, that's way too much variance in water. When you think you've got the mud about right, adding just an ounce or more water in the mix might make it too runny (depending on your application and batch size). You eventually learn when it's just right by looking at it and not paying any attention to the amount they recommend.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 03-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #315
Radas
Tile Newbie

If I remember correctly, I used a little more than 2.5 quarts of water per bag. That left a nice consistency.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase