Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #166
wwhitney

If you are only a little bit too long, then I believe you can use up some of the extra by using an inefficient (extra squiggly) path while still meeting the manufacturer requirement of 3 nub spacing. Obviously this would raise the power density a little bit.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 11-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #167
Kman

How many feet do you have left over? Sometimes it's just a matter of rerouting the cable.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #168
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
It is about 6' too long, and that's even with extending the runs to well under the vanities. I'm not too concerned with running under the vanities by 6 or so inches, and doing so was my intention, as they are free standing vanities but the runs would have to extend the entire 21" depth of the vanities (minus 3" to keep away from the wall) - which would be pushing it. A lot.

The space is right about 10X7, with a 4" X 5' jog caused by a knee wall, and a 6" X 3' bump out for the wall hung toilet. Not too many lay out options. I knew the 64 SF would be close to max, but clearly miscalculated.

So I guess I'll have to set the Durock drain instead, which I've been putting off because it's freaking me out.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #169
Kman

As long as the space under the vanity is open, it shouldn't be a problem, but I understand your concern.

If you want you could always post a picture of what you have. Maybe someone could offer some rerouting advice that would help.

Unread 11-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #170
ss3964spd

Kevin,

As you stand in the doorway the vanities are situated along the 10' long back wall and stretch from the left wall all the way to the knee wall on the right. My first layout attempt had the cable ending 16" off the back wall, so under the vanities by about 5". With the 3 lug spacing there are 16 "loop's" under the vanities. I knew I was in trouble when I got to the tag on the cable that indicates half the length has been used but I'd already covered more than half the floor.

Next attempt was to go a couple of inches farther on the 1st loop, then to within 3" of the wall on the next loop, alternating the subsequent loops like that. Still too much cable left over. If I ran each loop to within 3" of the back wall under the vanities it would be close but still too long I think.

If I could get closer than 3" to the walls (I don't understand that limitation, but imagine it has to do with overheating) I could probably make it.

Last edited by ss3964spd; 11-24-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Unread 11-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #171
ss3964spd

And oh, didn't take pictures. Was pretty cranky so pulled it all up, wound it back onto it's spool, and went off to sulk. LOL
Unread 11-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #172
ss3964spd

Had to take another...ok, 2 runs at it. and took photos.

This layout has all 16 loops running under the free standing vanities ending 4" off the back wall. There are very short sections that are 2" off side walls.

Opinions?
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #173
ss3964spd

more...
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #174
makethatkerdistick

I let others comment on your cable work, Dan. I just don't know much about that heating system. But wouldn't the extra density under the vanity come in handy concerning your fear of pipe freeze in that wall?

Concerning the drain connection, don't you have access from below? That should take some of that fear away, wouldn't it (as opposed to slab plumbing)?
Unread 11-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #175
ss3964spd

That was my reasoning for the cabling under the vanities, Wolfgang, to mitigate the freeze fear. I just hadn't planned to run it that far under the vanities, I felt that half way under would be sufficient.

No, no access to the P trap from below, unless I cut open the garage ceiling. I was just test fitting the drain flange again, everything lines up nicely. My angst stems from needing to apply mortar to the underside of the flange, then PVC glue to the flange's PVC coupler and the pipe riser, then set it before any of the goop skins over while making certain the edge of the flange remains parallel to the back wall. PVC joints like to be glued up by twisting the fittings together, but this drain assembly won't allow for hardly any twist at all.
Unread 11-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #176
makethatkerdistick

I know the angst as a slab owner. I guess mine was limited to just gluing it in straight before doing the mud bed later. Maybe you should have a gin before you do it to steady your hand. Mine was, admittedly, a bit shaky at the time. And yes, I hate PVC because you can never do a complete dry fit. That final twist can only happen with the glue on. Good luck!
Unread 11-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #177
Kman

I wouldn't have a problem with the way it's run under the vanity, provided the bottom of the vanity is far enough above the floor. How high is it?

Unread 11-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #178
Lou_MA

What if you tightened up the spacing?

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...e-stud-spacing
Unread 11-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #179
ss3964spd

Kevin, the feet for the vanities will position the bottom of them 4" off the floor.

Lou - thanks for digging up that little tidbit. In all the reading and searching I did I never saw that 3/2/3/2 option. That would certainly use up some cable if necessary.
Unread 11-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #180
Lou_MA

Also look at the u-shaped jog on page 20.

https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amaz...20Handbook.pdf

I had a previous project where I was also looking to use up cable, and called Schluter to ask if I could do that jog on every row of wire, even though longest room dim was less than 10’. After some discussion on their end, I got a half-hearted ok (more like “we don’t see any documentation saying you can’t”).

It won’t eat up a lot, especially compared to 3-2-3-2 stud spacing, but maybe every little bit helps.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase