Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
djbutzen

Cold Weather Pool Tile Install

Hi all. Newbie to this forum. I am looking for advise if its advisable to let a swimming pool renovation company install a tile splash line in cold weather.

I live in S.E. Wisconsin with day time temps in the low-mid 40's and dropping to low-mid 30's at night. They indicate they have precautions they can take but I have my reservations.

Pool has been down all summer and with Covid-19 its been next to impossible to get contactors to take time and even look at the project.

Any advice is appreciated. Dave B...
Unread 10-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, David.

For nearly all ceramic tile installation products the substrate, tile, and setting materials must remain above 50 degrees during and for at least three days after setting. I've no idea how your contractor would do that in a swimming pool application, but maybe one of our Yankee members will know. We do know that tile work continue up there during cold months, but not sure some of those methods would work well in a pool.

From my vantage I would say you need to wait for one of your two weeks of summer to do the work.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I don't see keeping it warm unless you wanted to go to the expense of a big tent and a heater. Curing cement is a chemical reaction that doesn't do well when it's cold. It's what is referred to as an exothermic reaction..IOW, it generates heat when it cures, but when it's cold out, there may not be enough energy in that chemical process to let it happen very fast, and under some circumstances, could almost stop it entirely.

Pouring a slab may work because you have a much larger, deeper mass of material that can contain some of that heat, but with thinset, almost instantly, it would cool off to the base temperature. Conversely, if it's super hot out, it can start to set much faster.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase