Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
SDFFR

Thanks jadnashua and Davy for further guidance.

I seem to have run into a wall. I cut Denshield first and measured later! The Denshield is 1/2" thick while regular backer boards average 1/4". So Denshield is a no go.

I could buy a regular backer board but all I need is a 12" x 4" piece and it seems criminal to buy a whole board. Thinset, as jadnashua advised, could have voids (or worse, shrink) and cause more headaches. Any other suggestions before I waste a whole backer board for getting just a tiny piece?

jadnashua, I agree that the right way would be to cut to the two boards to the joists but I would rather leave an uncut board untouched if I can avoid it. As Davy suggested, I am leaning towards a single layer but the 1/4" vs 1/2" may force me if I cannot find any other viable option. Plus cutting both means I would have to get serious about some type of waterproofing as well.

Thoughts, suggestions for an alternative to a whole board?
Unread 10-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #17
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Cement board comes in 1/4 and 1/2, or close to 1/2.

I think that's what Jim was talking about. For example, Hardie isn't a true cement board but it isn't a half inch thick, it's about 7/16. And then they also have 1/4 inch, which I have never measured.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #18
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You might find a broken sheet of cbu at the store that they'll discount or if it's really bad, give you. What may cost more is to buy a box of the screws to attach it that would need to go into the studs ideally, or blocking if there's any behind it. Those screws are coated, so should not present a rusting problem on a wall in the shower behind the tile.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #19
SDFFR

Unfortunately, my adventure/saga to get the two and half tiles back on continues! My limited experience and knowledge shows!

I have explored a few options but none that is perfect. As I mentioned previously, the Denshield board is a bit too thick. As advised, I explored use of CBU. A single layer of CBU and tile is not quite thick enough and would require more thinset than normal. On the other hand, two layers of CBU with the tile is just perfect and adding thinset to affix the tile would increase the thickness to more than the space/depth available. For smiles and grins, I checked out gypsum board and it was as thick as the Denshield board, so no go there.

So, here are the options as I see it (and yes, I can be educated to see other options):
1. Screw in a single layer of CBU onto the studs (and over/through the first layer of gypsum board already in place) and use a healthy amount of thinset to get it level with the rest of the wall
2. Screw in the two layers of CBU onto the studs (and over/through the first layer of gypsum board already in place) and use an adhesive to affix the tiles since thinset would increase thickness more than available space.

If option 2 is the best choice, what adhesive would work?
If option 1 is the best choice, what issue should I be aware of and what is the best way to put this in place.

Thanks all and appreciate your patience and kind assistance as I learn along the way.
Unread 11-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #20
SDFFR

Bumping the thread back up.

Should I read no further comment as both options are equally bad and should be avoided? Or just that folks are busy with real life (and elections) to worry about this!

Would appreciate assistance and guidance. Thank you.
Unread 11-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #21
smifwal

As it has been stated before this is a band-aid so you can really do whatever gets your tiles back on the wall.

In option 1 you have to make up a half inch is that correct? And that is using a 1/2 cbu?

You could use a 1/2 cbu and a 1/4 cbu then you would only need to make up a 1/4.
Unread 11-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #22
SDFFR

Thank you, Shawn, for the guidance. I should have been clear in my note. The CBU I am using is 1/4".

So, one layer of CBU at 1/4" is a little short, two layers of CBU that add up to 1/2" is a little too much.

I am looking for guidance on the better of two evils,
a. A single CBU layer with healthy amount of tileset OR
b. Two layers of CBU with an adhesive assuming something like that exists.

If the second option (i.e. adhesive option) does not exist then I default to the first option unless there is a different option that my limited experience and knowledge (if I can even call it that) does not recognize.
Unread 11-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Hardiebacker's nominal 1/2" board is thinner than 1/2" (so once you add thinset for the tile, the tile might be even with drywall placed next to it (but it's generally better to span that with the tile IMHO). Their 1/4" stuff is 1/4", and most other cbus 1/2" stuff is 1/2", but not Hardie's.

While Kerdiboard is avaliable in thinner (and thicker), they want at least 1/2" on a wall to span studs, so it probably isn't an issue.

If you're laminating the 1/4" cbu, I don't think you need to do that, and that would save a little thickness. Just use the screws designed for the 1/2" boards.

Nominal 1/2" Hardie, is 0.42" thick if that helps.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #24
smifwal

Option 3 sister a stud in there that makes up the distance using only one 1/4 in piece of backer

Option 4 plane the studs so you can fit 1 piece of 1/2 backer or if you don't want buy a piece of 1/2 in and want to use the (2) 1/4 in pieces you already have i understand

Back to option one, you can build the thinset up in layers to reduce the chance of it shrinking when it cures or if you have access to ardex products then you could use ardex X5 with a 3/4" "U" notched trowel that should get you your 1/4" you are trying to make up. Or ardex X77 you can put that stuff super thick, I think up to a inch. There are probably other manufacturers that can handle a 1/4" lift in one shot and I would venture to guess that a large format tile mortar could do it but I am only for sure on the ardex products that I mentioned above.

Hope this helps

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase