Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #16
microbehay

photos for total tear out of bathroom floor.

in photo #2, beneath the closed door there's some blocking. i'm guessing i can pull back the nails and remove to sister the joists?

above the door wall is open attic space. i.e. the wall isnt supporting the roof there.
Attached Images

Unread 10-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You'll probably have to cut the nails holding the blocking in, Michael. A sawzall with a metal blade will do the trick. Just be sure there's nothing on the other side of the blocking that you could hit with the saw.

Is the roof framed with rafters or trusses?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #18
microbehay

thanks dan
yea, cutting nails makes sense. i can get open up underneath the blocking to make sure its clear.

well, rafters but there aren't ceiling joists, per se. i've included a photo of the ceiling behind/above the bathroom door. the main beam i'm trying to get my sisters to (or close to) is below the lit up wall.

2nd pic is of main room in house. bathroom is directly behind kitchen hood.
Attached Images

Unread 10-02-2020, 06:31 AM   #19
microbehay

oh geez. found pretty decent termite damage along the sill thats holding the joists. joists all seem fine, but now i gotta deal with that.
Unread 10-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
microbehay

hey yall

still finishing the structure work. had to: change our cast iron plumbing, ease joists to replace sill, sister joists, add bracing.

talked wife out of marble for shower, but now she wants cement tile.
1. will cement have same absorbancy issues as marble?
2. is cement a bad idea in shower?
3. what does the deflect-o-lator say about cement? im guessing its "technically" a ceramic.
Unread 10-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

Depends upon just what you mean by "cement" tile, Michael. You're talking perhaps about a concrete tile that is not fired at all? Or maybe an encaustic tile? Or.......other? If just concrete, the ceramic tile industry is gonna have nothing at all to say on accounta it's not ceramic.

I would say that an unfired concrete tile would be only slightly worse than using marble in a shower. Gonna have a very porous surface and even if you try to seal it well, it's still likely to absorb soaps and other cosmetic products over time in a shower application. Might not have the same wet-look problems as the marble, but I've never tried them in a shower and can't testify.

What's Mrs. Michael got against a nice porcelain tile that maybe looks just like marble?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #22
microbehay

cx yea she is looking at a hydraulically cured encaustic tile from Clé.
Clé - Trade's Resource Guide

i don't think she likes the "Marble Looking" porcelain because it looks fake to her.
the ideal tiles so far were: 1. Marble 2. Slate 3. Cement
But it seems none of those are ideal for durabliity & clean looking (clean looking is her main concern).

so thanks for helping us bypass any issues. i have found several posts about weird stains occuring on cement tile. also some posts with people having no issues.
But we are hard working people that are hard on things. So i would assume we'd get a non-porcelain tile dirty in no time.

Last edited by microbehay; 10-18-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Repair Link
microbehay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

That link doesn't take me to anything concerning encaustic tile, Michael. Goes to a homeimprovement.com page. After I corrected the close [/url]

Unread 10-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #24
microbehay

hmmm. thats weird.
lets try this
https://help.cletile.com/trade-cement-resource

or Clé - trade resource
Unread 10-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #25
cx
Moderator emeritus

You get into all sort of issues with those non-ceramic tiles, Michael. For example, your linked instructions include this line: "Please refer to the current edition of the TCNA Handbook for best installation results." If you refer to the TCNA Handbook, you'll find that the only information there will be found in the short paragraph titled, "Specialty Tile." And in that paragraph you'll be instructed to "review installation guidelines supplied by manufacturer/distributor of specilty tiles and/or adhesive manufacturer." And "Specialty tiles include, but are not limited to, tiles made from nonceramic materials."

So, why would your specialty tile manufacturer refer you to the Handbook of the ceramic tile industry? I dunno. Feel like that leaves you mostly on your own? There's a reason for that.

A lot of the information in your links concerning sealing those tiles would worry me some as well in your shower application. They seem to mix the terms sealant and sealer as though they are the same thing (they're not) and even indicate that you will be making your tiles waterproof using their recommendation of Miracle 511 Porous Plus, which is not really the case. Even the manufacturer of the 511 product says it will make the surface "resistant to moisture and stains." How well and for how long? Again, I dunno.

But if you've read the care instructions carefully and are confident that those tiles are what you want to use in your shower, go for it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 10-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #26
microbehay

thanks for the response cx.
i did read how the cement company seemed to not really stand behind their product.
And thanks for the clarification that sealant is not sealer. I did find that confusing in a way that clearly didn't perk my ears enough.

good to know that the TCNA really doesn't think too long and hard about specialty tile.

and no, i am not real confident about anything right now. especially the tile. The wife, upon hearing that it may stain easily, especially from an errant male around the toilet, backed away from them immediately.

So we're shopping for porcelain.

ill post some progress pics when i get a moment.
thanks again.
Unread 10-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
So we're shopping for porcelain.
As Martha would tell your wife, "This is a good thing."

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase