Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #31
amodoko

Anyone have any preferences between Mapei Large Format Tile mortar and VersaBond LFT? Or are both basically equivalent when laying down 24 inch by 12 inch tile? Here are the links to the two options I was considering:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...MG50/205789819

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-Large...tar/1000695980
Unread 10-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #32
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My preference between those two would be driven which of the two BBS's was closest to me.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #33
amodoko

Thank you! I figured they were both fine but wanted to be sure. I guess I'll just get the VersaBond LFT since it's a tad cheaper and that store is closer to me too. Win-Win
Unread 10-17-2020, 01:31 AM   #34
amodoko

Okay, ran into a moisture issue before I could lay my tile down. I'm a bit surprised honestly, wasn't expecting anything significant to slow down this project besides my slow work speed, lol.

As mentioned earlier in this thread with pictures, I live in a 2 story condominium in Missouri. I'm on the first floor and I have a crawl space under my floor that I have access too. The floor looks to be concrete that was poured over a corrugated sheet that was welded to metal trusses (as PC mentioned earlier in this thread).

The floor was basically dry two weeks ago, then I started to cut and lay tile down without tile mortar to try to get the tile layout right before I actually adhere the tile to the floor. I left some tile sitting on the floor for that time period, and when I pulled it up two weeks later it was pretty wet underneath. But after just a few hours, the water dries up and won't come back.

Also I want to note that I had removed our toilet a while back in preparation of me tiling the floor, so the toilet itself can't be a source of the moisture. Just have the toilet flange there now. But the moisture area still is closer to the toilet flange area, as the moisture primarily showed within a few feet of the flange area, but not sure if that's a coincidence. The shutoff valve by the toilet was not sealing fully either and would drip a bit since it's an old valve, so I just attached a new toilet refill valve to it and that appears to be bone dry now. So I don't see any obvious water source leak around the toilet.

I noticed a similar problem in another bathroom in this condo years ago too around the toilet. We had vinyl tile laid in a second bathroom and noticed water coming up between the vinyl tiles over time, kind of close to the toilet. We removed the vinyl tiles, and then no more water came back. I'm sure it would come back if we laid down the vinyl tiles again though, but we have yet to finish that floor.

I haven't noticed any water coming up from our floors in the condo anywhere else besides our bathrooms though. We have tile in our kitchen on the floors and haven't ever noticed water coming up through the grout lines there. Maybe there is moisture under the tiles there, but I haven't seen any obvious signs of it.

I have a couple of questions if you guys don't mind before I proceed to tile the floor:

1) Would anything bad really happen if I laid ceramic tile over a moisture rich floor? I assume the tile should adhere fine since the moisture wouldn't accumulate fast enough to affect the tile mortar bonding, but after the tile job is done I may need to clean the grout lines more frequently over the years as water would come up through the grout from time to time.

2) The thing is, the concrete floor is not directly touching the ground since there is a crawl space, so this is most likely either water vapor coming up from a damp crawl space or just condensation forming on the surface right?

3) Could I just tile over the floor and then use epoxy grout so no water can come up through the floor?

4) If I do need to address this moisture issue, and can not safely tile over this floor, can I just paint RedGard over it and then tile over the RedGard?

5) If RedGard is not sufficient, then will an uncoupling membrane of some sort do the trick?

Not too sure how to proceed. I'm wondering if this is even a big deal at all and if I should just continue on and tile the floor this way or if it does require me to stop and address this issue. I've attached some photos to try to show some of the water droplets right after I lifted the tile. But as I mentioned earlier, these droplets dry up and dissappear within hours after lifting the tiles, so the moisture will only accumulate if something is directly over the floor.

Thanks in advance for any help
Attached Images

Last edited by amodoko; 10-17-2020 at 01:47 AM.
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #35
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Had the tiles over the wet areas been cut on the wet saw?

Were the tiles left in the cold damp weather and then brought in?

Were the tiles left in the rain or other source of moisture?

When we use a membrane over a slab and then set the cut tiles in place before installing, the next day we will have moisture on the membrane due to the moisture that soaked into the tiles from the set saw. You don't have a membrane but you still have the adhesive that might seal off the slab in places.

You might want to find a piece of plastic (poly, say 2 ft x 2 ft) and tape it to the slab (duct tape) and see if moisture forms under it. 24 hours would be long enough but moisture may form right away.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #36
amodoko

Whoa, Davy, you are so smart. I didn't even think about the tiles being wet from the wet saw. Yes, that is most likely the reason. I brought them in from the wet saw and they were still very damp. That would also explain why the area around the toilet flange was still wet since those tiles were the ones I most recently cut on the wet saw. I will still do the poly test to be sure, but thank you, I believe you are correct and that is most likely reason. Genius!
Unread 10-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #37
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Just a lucky guess. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #38
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, AM, that's probably the first time Davy has ever thought about carrying a tile from the wet saw to the installation area.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #39
amodoko

Hahaha! Had to give Davy his credit He hit the nail on the head Saved me a ton of time trying to figure it out. I totally forgot about the tiles being wet from the wet saw, lol
Unread 10-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #40
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Happens a lot these days, Cx. With my old knees, I'm the helper when we do floors.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #41
cx
Moderator emeritus

You finally got Lil' Davy setting the tiles, Davy?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #42
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, now I need to find him a helper so I can nap all day.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 11-17-2020, 05:05 AM   #43
amodoko

I will say, laying floor tile showed me how out of shape I am. Really wears me out just doing a small room lol. Three more basic questions about filling in gaps if you guys don't mind:

1) Regarding the expansion gaps between the tile and the drywall on the floor... These parts will be covered with baseboard trim anyways, so do you guys fill it with silicone caulk or leave it empty? I googled it and it seems that different people do different things with it.

2) Regarding the expansion gaps between the toilet flange and the tile... It seems most people I talked to just fill this in with grout. But wouldn't it make more sense to either leave this empty or fill it with silicone caulk? Grout would not allow for expansion so I thought silicone would make more sense here, but maybe I'm missing something here. Should I fill this in with silicone, grout, or leave the tile/toliet flange expansion gap empty?

3) And if you guys do recommend filling these expansion gaps with something, why is this even done? Just curious, that's all. These gaps are going to be covered by a toilet and baseboard trim anyways, so they won't be seen, so there isn't a cosmetic reason to fill them. But maybe there is a functional reason to do this that I'm unaware of.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by amodoko; 11-17-2020 at 05:41 PM.
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #44
Kman

There's no good reason to fill any of those gaps. Leave them open.

Unless you make a bonehead cut like this one, in which case you should fill that in.

Name:  KIMG0122.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  25.4 KB

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #45
amodoko

Hopefully when I install my toilet the gap won't look like that photo you posted, hahaha. Okay, that's great to hear. I will leave all those gaps open then. Thanks for the information. I was wondering why some people filled them in to begin with. I had assumed maybe it was to just keep water from collecting in areas where it wouldn't dry as easily, or something like that. But I'll definitely leave them open now, saves me from having to do extra work Thanks again, much appreciated!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase