Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
Kman

Ah, well. It may not be worth the trouble to return that big bag for a smaller one. Some of them may be upwards of $10.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #17
Billwiser

Hey guys, I'm back to admit defeat and ask for advice. I got everything patched and as I laid the tile back in I noticed some lippage. I grabbed my torpedo level and found more lippage. Then I noticed a low spot or two. Long story short I ripped the tile off the floor.

Now I'm looking at the mud bed we poured and debating on how to smooth and flatten things while maintaining at least 1/4" slope. I've got just under 3ft from the bench to my drain. The top of the drain is about 5/8" above the lip that my tape is sitting on in the picture so I'm also wondering if I should build that up a little before laying tile to keep the tile just above the drain (tiles are 1/4" thick ceramic)

I considered building it up a little at a time with thinset, letting it set up/cure between applications, but I've read that's a no no. Can I get away with self leveling compound? Please let me know if I've left out any pertinent info. Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Unread 10-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #18
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There's no reason to have lippage. The floor should have pitch to the drain but be flat. If you pull the mud using a straight board, you should be able to get it flat.

I see a lot of flaking in your pictures. Are you sure the membrane is still good?
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #19
Billwiser

Thanks for the reply, there are a few low spots I must not have caught in my picture. I used a roll on Waterproofing membrane. It got damaged in a few spots and was peeling up with the tile, so before removing the tiles along the perimeter I used my oscillating tool to cut down through it to prevent it from peeling where the floor meets the wall. I will have to apply new membrane. I'm planning to use Aqua Defense by Mapei.

My original thought was to use thinset, because of how little I need to bring most of it up. The bulk of the inconsistencies probably don't add up to more than 1/8", but the top of the drain sits about 5/8 above the lip that sits on the bed. If I rolled the membrane on now I'd need to be sitting on roughly 3/8" of thinset near the drain to get to the top of it. I feel like that is a little much, but maybe I'm wrong

I wasn't sure what product to use or how how thin I could spread it to fix the holes. A little sand and Portland? Self leveling compound? Could I screed thinset (since I'll have to use a bag of it for tile anyway) allow a few days before applying Aqua Defense, then with everything being relatively flat, lay my tile over that or am I asking for trouble?
Attached Images

Unread 10-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never used a drain like you have. Maybe I'm missing something but are there weep holes anywhere in the drain? With the top of the drain 5/8 above the flange, what happens to the water that gets to the membrane? Without some type of weepholes, water will be sitting on the membrane 5/8 deep.

Also, usually we add a fabric to the membrane for the shower floor. Was that not recommended with the yellow membrane?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #21
Billwiser

The brand I used before was TEC Skill Set, and I'm not positive but I don't recall it stating that I needed fabric. I know I haven't exactly done a bang up job, but I did try to follow manufacturer's recommendations. I'm the guy who still reads instructions even when things seem easy enough to assemble without them. The Aqua Defense I plan to use does offer optional directions for use with fabric that you can buy separately, but doesn't show that it's necessary. I reinforced all changes of plane with tape and liquid membrane. No fabric around the drain and no weep holes.

From what I've read regarding surface applied membranes, the amount of water that would penetrante the grout is negligible and would evaporate before ever being an issue because the thinset isn't much more than 1/4" thick. I feel like drilling weep holes would almost introduce more moisture to the thinset than what would penetrate the grout, but I fully acknowledge that I'm not the expert.

Would it make sense to screed *appropriate product* and bury the lip by 1/8" or 1/4" and then waterproof over that? Thus raising the tile slightly above the height of the drain. That way any water that would penetrate could only sit in 1/4"of thinset and then evaporate?

Or does it make more sense to drill a few tiny holes down low on the sides? Maybe 1/8" holes every 8-10 inches?
Attached Images

Unread 10-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #22
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Does the grate finish out flush with the top of the drain?

I see the red dots in your picture. You don't want to drill holes lower than your membrane.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #23
Billwiser

Yes the grate will be flush with the drain. I definitely wouldn't put holes below the membrane. Just wasn't sure whether to drill some above the membrane or not drill at all.
Attached Images

Unread 10-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #24
Billwiser

This video is similar to the instructions I got for my drain. I found it on Terry Love where somebody else was asking about weep holes for their linear drain. https://youtu.be/lwDeP5bGqAw

Hydroban also shows the same method of installation I used, but it looks like their drain doesn't raise up above the lip like mine. Would it be wise to drill holes just above the membrane on my drain?

Would it make sense to :
- raise the mortar bed slightly
- roll on membrane
- flood test
- CAREFULLY drill holes just above membrane
- temporarily seal holes (or plug drain) and flood test again for peace of mind
- lay tile

I'm trying to answer questions and I'm eager to hear any advice. If I'm way off or failing to provide the right info please let me know. I'm keenly aware that I'm in a little (okay, maybe a lot) over my head here. I'm grateful for the help so far. Please keep it coming
Attached Images

Unread 10-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #25
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would want some weep holes, as long as they are above the membrane. That would give the water a place to escape although I'm not sure if the water is going to flow thru the thinset.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #26
Billwiser

Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to think I don't fully understand where weep holes should go. I understand the idea is that water penetrantes the grout. I just assumed that meant it laid in the thinset, between the tile and the membrane. Should I be cognizant of the direction in which I'm troweling my thinset to encourage water to flow to the drain (weep holes)? I had assumed it was a somewhat moot point after pushing the tile down into it as that squishes the ridges down. Am I wrong with that assumption? I'll try to do some more research.
Unread 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #27
Billwiser

Correction : I WILL do more research
Unread 10-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #28
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

With 1/4 inch thick tiles, the mud bed should come up to within about 5/16-3/8 of the top edge of the drain. That means the mud would cover the flange about 1/4 inch. I can't say if you would have problems without weep holes.

There are many different drains on the market and I've never seen this one. You shouldn't have to drill weep holes in the drain. Can you call the drain manufacturer and ask them?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 10-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #29
Billwiser

I wish I knew the manufacturer. It's been quite some time since the initial install and I don't have any of the information left from the drain. I was considering bringing the mud bed up just as you said. Maybe even a tad higher. I've watched videos, read other forums, downloaded pdf files from manufacturers and everything seems to suggest that I should be okay. I fully acknowledge that I haven't found my exact drain, but the ones I've found are the same construction.

My plan of attack was:

-Bring the mud bed up to roughly 1/4-5/16" shy of the top of the drain.
-Apply liquid membrane
-Trowel 1/4" thinset
-Lay tile to a finished height 1/16-1/8" above drain
-Slope grout from tile to drain

My thought is that if I go this route, any water that does penetrate can only sit in roughly 1/8" of thinset as half the tile is sitting above the actual drain. I used 1/4"spacers on the rest of the tile. I figure I can use that 1/4" space away from the drain to slope my grout down.

It's in the master bathroom so it won't be seeing 5 showers a day. I'm hoping that will leave plenty of time to dry out. Also, if it matters, I'm using urethane grout.
Unread 10-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #30
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

With 12x12 tiles, I usually use a 3/8 tall notched trowel. That 3/8 notch should give you about 1/8 or so of thinset, which is about right.

Looks like you'll have cut tiles against the drain. You might want to rub the sharp cut edge with a rub stone, especially if you plan to leave the tiles a little higher than the drain.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase