Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #61
HouseOfJoe

So a question on the best order of things. By the end of this weekend I'll have the Kerdi board up on the shower walls and ceiling and the rest of the bathroom drywalled. Then I'll do the waterproofing on the Kerdi board, and tape and mud the drywall. Then I'll be ready to do the pan and the Kerdi drain with deck mud, then Kerdi waterproofing.

At that point I plan on tiling the shower, then I'll do the Ditra heat and floor tile.

So the shower floor first, or the walls? I've seen any number of videos and seen it done both ways. At the end of it all I know it's dealer's choice, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions on what people's preference is and why.

My instinct is the floor first, because I may damage the mud bed or Kerdi on the floor in the process of doing the walls and ceiling.
Unread 10-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #62
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Wall or floor first is dealers choice, and everyone who does it one way will offer compelling reasons why. I think the most notable reason to tile the walls first is if you drop a tile, or tool then you don't risk breaking/chipping a floor tile. A worthwhile concern.

I did my shower floor first, but I was tiling over a membrane covered foam pan that I really, really didn't want to hurt. Your mud pan will be less susceptible to damage with just a couple layers of cardboard on it. My bottom row of wall tile isn't real high so I was also a little concerned about having enough space to install the membrane band and pre-formed corners to seal the walls to the floor. After the floor was done I covered it with two layers of cardboard.

I'll confess, too, that by that point I'd been working on the bathroom for soooo long that I really wanted to get some tile set!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #63
smifwal

I like to tile the entire shower and grout minus the first row of tile before I do the pan. I learned that here (credit CX) and is the best thing ever. You can drop, spill, move around, set a platform/ladder in there with no worries. Since learning this, I think I have only poured the pan and set the shower floor tile once and that was because I was doing a staggered plank on the wall and I didn't want to have to squeeze the pieces in between the set tiles. But I was real tempted but the chance that something might be out of whack made me too nervous. Ugliest shower Ihave ever done IMHO
Attached Images

Unread 10-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #64
HouseOfJoe

Curb questions

Shawn, thanks for the reply, if CX recommended that sequence I’ll have to give that serious consideration!

I’m not a fan of “wood” tile either, but if I was, I think I would love that shower you did!

So I’m going round and round in my head on how and how high to build my curb. I want the curb as low as I can get it. 2 inches above the drain seems to be the consensus minimum both here and the internet in general. So if I set my Kerdi drain one inch off the subfloor then the top of my finished curb would be (at minimum) 3 inches off the subfloor. With a 5/8 pan slope plus tile the inner side of the curb would only be an inch above the finished shower floor. The outside of the curb would be 2 1/4 plus. Anybody see that as a problem?

It occurred to me this morning that I’m going to have enough scrap half inch Kerdi board left over to build a 3 inch high curb. Is it a good idea to build a curb with five to six layers of Kerdi board? That’s laid flat, but if I lay it on edge would that be stronger? Anybody have thoughts on that?

PS curb is 58 inches long and a few of the layers would be made up of at least 2 pieces.
Unread 10-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #65
cx
Moderator emeritus

While the building codes generally require the shower curb top to be a minimum of two inches above the drain grate, the ceramic tile industry has long recommended the curb be a minimum of two inches above the shower floor. You can make your curb only one inch above the shower floor and it will probably work just fine so long as you plan to have a door in the opening rather than just a shower curtain.

Might also be a little tricky to tile that one-inch area.

We see a lot of folks here recommending the use of KerdiBoard for making shower curbs, but I've never tried it. Would make no structural difference which direction you oriented your bonded thin layers of that material. You do need to cover the whole thing with membrane to comply with Schluter's recommendation that everything be orange before it's considered waterproof.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #66
HouseOfJoe

CX, just so I’m clear, you mean 2 inches above the highest part of the shower floor, right? So if I am at 2 inches (including tile) above the subfloor I should be at 4 from the subfloor for the top of my curb.

The shower will have a frameless glass door, but you make a good point about the issue of tiling that one inch space.
Unread 10-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #67
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like you've go the concept, Joe.

Unread 10-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #68
HouseOfJoe

Outside corner

I have a question on how to handle an outside corner. If you look at the pic, the left side of the three sandwiched 2x4s will finish at the edge with bull nosed tile. That also will be where the frameless glass door will be mounted. On the perpendicular face of that 3 board sandwich will be the mosaic pebble tile we’re using. That mosaic will flow down to the top of the pony wall you see in the pic.

So the bull nose will cover the edge of the mosaic. The question is how to reinforce the corner. The bull-nosed side will be Kerdi, the perpendicular side could be either Kerdi or drywall since it’s well outside the shower.

Complicating this question a bit is the fact that I would like to install the mosaic tile on a piece of Kerdi stone by stone and then install the piece onto the wall. Placing these stones one by one flat on a table is challenging enough, having to do it vertically would be that much tougher. But doing that makes using a standard metal corner bead a bit of a problem.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 10-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #69
HouseOfJoe

If anybody has any thoughts on post 68 I’d love to hear them!

I decided I would set the mosaic tile in the niche stone by stone. It was the only way I could get the spacing that I thought looked best. Here’s how far I’ve gotten.

The kicker, of course, is that they’re not thinsetted in yet. If anybody has any bright ideas on how to thin set them other than picking them up one by one dabbing a little thin set on them and putting them back in I am all ears. Because that’s the only thing I’ve been able to think of so far.
Attached Images

Unread 10-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #70
cx
Moderator emeritus

You could get some paper backing made specifically for face-mounted mosaics and apply it to your tiles after you get them all set the way you want them. Pull the adhesive paper out of the niche along with the tiles, mortar the niche, and put the mounted tiles back in. Let them set up a while, wet the paper per instructions, and remove the paper.

We've had a number of threads where someone told us just where to purchase such mounting paper, but I've slept since then.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 10-20-2020, 10:22 PM   #71
HouseOfJoe

That’s a great idea! I’ll look around and see what I can find.
Unread 10-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #72
cbaum

Hey Joe are you tiling the ceiling? Wondering for my own project how I should do the ceiling. Current shower has a tiled ceiling which I am ripping out. I hadn’t planned on tiling the ceiling so was going to use something cheaper up there before transitioning to drywall over the rest of the bathroom.
Unread 10-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #73
smifwal

https://youtu.be/LLfvSyyGIGM
Unread 10-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #74
HouseOfJoe

Hey Charlie, yeah, I am tiling the ceiling in the shower, so I have Kerdi board installed on the ceiling, which extends out to just beyond the shower doors, where it then transitions to drywall. I'll waterproof the joint between the Kerdi and the drywall with Kerdi band. When I tile I'll end the tile with bullnose extending just an inch or two onto the drywall.

If you don't want to tile your ceiling that isn't a problem. Your backer board (of whatever sort) should finish above the highest point of a water source (usually your shower head). At that point I think you can transition to ordinary drywall.

Shawn, thanks for the link. Unfortunately both of the methods that video shows don't quite match my situation but maybe that video will lead me in the right direction.
Unread 10-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #75
cbaum

Thanks for the reply Joe. I'm planning on using kerdi boards for the shower all the way to the ceiling and then just purple board or durock on the ceiling with no tile.

Although that brings me to a question. I was planning on getting the 4x8 kerdi boards to use vertically. However I think from my subfloor to the ceiling is like 98" instead of a useful 96" Thinking of getting an extra board so I don't have to have a sliver at the top, and instead have like a 60" cut and a 38" cut but I'll stagger them to avoid a long seam.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase