Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looking back at my photos I have misinformed you, Mouse.

I did use 2 conduits; one for the cold leads and the other for the sensors. Since my box is in the wall there no conduit for the 120V supply.

I haven't looked back at the install directions but I think Schluter wants the cold leads and sensor wires separate because the current, probably the frequency, supplied to the cold leads will play havoc with sensors (the receptacle in the photo was only temporary).
Attached Images

ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Generally, you aren't supposed to mix high and low voltage wires in the same conduit. Nobody runs actual heating wires into their thermostat for a floor warming system, they splice on a power lead. Note, while it may provide that function in some climates, they do call the system floor warming for a reason...in many places, it is not sufficient for room heating in the winter. If you happen to live in CA, the floor warming must be on a timer and activation limited, and cannot by code, be room heating.

About the maximum range of heat you can achieve with electric floor warming is 13W/sqft or about 44-BTU. A typical electric space heater is in the range of around 5000-BTU, or 1500W.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #18
mouseandcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Looking back at my photos I have misinformed you, Mouse.

I did use 2 conduits; one for the cold leads and the other for the sensors. Since my box is in the wall there no conduit for the 120V supply.

I haven't looked back at the install directions but I think Schluter wants the cold leads and sensor wires separate because the current, probably the frequency, supplied to the cold leads will play havoc with sensors (the receptacle in the photo was only temporary).
ss_spd, thanks for the update. i spoke with my inspector. he said no problem doing what im' proposing to do. but did ask why the heck i would want to hide it like that. i said (1) aesthetics and (2) it has wireless connectivity so not concerned. i guess in 10 years there'll be new standards, products, and the like but future me will deal with that.
Unread 10-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
mouseandcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashua
Generally, you aren't supposed to mix high and low voltage wires in the same conduit. Nobody runs actual heating wires into their thermostat for a floor warming system, they splice on a power lead.
thanks for that. wonder how many wires burned out/house fires with constant-on infloor warming? the thin wires for the job seem inadequate. either need thicker wires or some other way for convection.
Unread 10-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #20
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The most current the longest cable Schluter makes is like 444', and on 120vac, it draws less than 15A. The cables you'd use in a typically sized bathroom draw less than 5A or so, which equates to 600W...a space heater on low would seem to be a close equivalent. The wire itself feeding the cable is much heavier gauge than the heating cable it attaches to. You must ensure that the heating leg of the cable is fully embedded in the floor, so only the feed wire will come out and go to the thermostat. That shouldn't be any different than the wires running to the thermostat...they should not get hot during normal operation. Heat could build up if that splice point between the supply wires and the heating ones was not embedded in the floor, or the heating cables were too close to another heat source, or there was some insulation over it that would not let the heat propagate away from the heating cable. That's all covered in the instructions, but not everyone reads them, or, if they do, understand what they've read and follow.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #21
mouseandcat

thanks, that makes sense.

what i could do to minimize any sort of heat under the vanity would be to have the connection between the heating cable and 'cold' cable meet 'outside' of the vanity footprint.

because our vanity is raised off the floor by 6 inches i want start a row of heating about 3 inches 'under' the vanity since i know we'll be 'tucking' our feet under the vanity when using the bathroom sink.
Unread 10-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #22
ss3964spd

If the vanity is raised 6", Mouse, you won't have any issue with heat build up under it.

My vanities are 4" off the floor on feet, and the cables run about 1/2" under them, approx 12". No issue whatsoever.
Unread 10-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #23
mouseandcat

ss_spd, thanks for the input. i would hate to be going through all this and find that my feet aren't warmed when standing in front of the vanity.
Unread 10-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #24
mouseandcat

this is what i ended up doing, inspector said it was fine. i'll be hiding the thermostsat inside the back wall of the vanity. our vanity has lots of open space back there so should be less of a pain to get to after setting it up.

the floor is the last thing i'll do so working on the bathtub surround now

https://i.imgur.com/qcDpS9z.jpg
Unread 10-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #25
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mouse, it would really help if you would attach your photos from storage on your computer so they appear in your post and remain a permanent part of your thread.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #26
mouseandcat

my photos for these projects are automatically uploaded from my phone to various cloud platforms.

i try using the forum's 'upload from url' but all of my photos that i upload are too large for that function.
Unread 10-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

You can dowload them to your computer and reduce the electronic size if you need to.

The problem is that the third party storage facility will eventually alter the URL and your photos will disappear from your thread rendering it useless to users in the future. And we know we have thousands of lurkers viewing various threads many years later for information for their own projects.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #28
HouseOfJoe

For what it's worth on the discussion of using one or two conduits for the cold lead and sensor wires, the Schluter video on the installation shows two conduits, but does say that using only one is acceptable.
Unread 10-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #29
ss3964spd

I had read somewhere that the 60Hz from the cold leads had the potential of interfering with the very low signal from the sensors when both wires are run next to each other in parallel, but maybe it's a non-issue. Whatever the reason, running two seemed prudent to me at the time.
Unread 10-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #30
HouseOfJoe

Definitely seems like it falls into the "can't hurt, might help" category!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase