Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #46
HouseOfJoe

Good thing I love my wife!

So I tell her this idea of free laying this tile expecting her to be ecstatic and her base reaction is “meh”. She’s afraid the grout will be too dominant, and it’s a legitimate point.

So we’ve decided to buy like three of these mosaics and I’ll do a test of free laying it and we’ll be able to find out what the grout ends up looking like.

So burn a hundred bucks to make sure we don’t burn a grand.
Unread 08-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #47
cx
Moderator emeritus

Excellent way to approach it, Joe. If you were to set the tiles using something like white glue you may even be able to soak the test board in water and recover some of the tiles after the experiment. Operative word there is may.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #48
HouseOfJoe

That’s a good idea, CX. I might try that.

I was also thinking about a trick I saw a tile pro on YouTube use. He was setting a vertical waterfall stripe like I’m planning, and he was using kerdi board. He cut a strip of kerdi as wide as he wanted it and the length of the height of the wall. Then he laid that on the ground and thinsetted the mosaic in place over the entire strip. Then he took the whole thing and mounted it on the wall. Can’t remember what he did on the mounting, but it looked like it worked out slick.

If I can pull that off I can do my test and if I’m happy with the result just keep going on that strip. I might get to have my cake and eat it too! We shall see.
Unread 08-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #49
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

People have set mosaic murals and medallions on Kerdi, then moved the sheet to where it was ultimately installed...that technique does work.

Depending on the waterproofing you're planning for the shower, that may or may not be an issue if you don't use it for the whole shower...moisture could get in from the drain or the walls, and really take a long while to dry out, if ever.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #50
HouseOfJoe

Hmmm, I just watched the video again. He was using very large very thick tiles and he did the mosaic using 3/16 kerdi as a backer. Then he just thinsetted it on the 1/2 inch kerdi he already had on the wall. He also did it in two 4 foot strips not one 8 foot. Came out perfectly flush to the tile. So it might take a little bit of experimenting to figure that out in my situation.

I suppose I could put studs in place where I need them and then cut my half inch kerdi 3 inches wider on each side of the mosaic and then I could just screw it in place.

Gosh, do you think I could find a way to make this more complicated? I’m just cheap, hurts me to burn 100 bucks on a test panel!
Unread 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #51
HouseOfJoe

On the shower floor, considering alternatives as backup plans. I've found a handful of 2 inch tiles that I like (we'll see what Mrs Joe thinks). Thing is, they're all marble.

So two things. Haven't I seen you guys grumble about marble in showers? And my deflection is L/687 which obviously is below 720. But it's not much below, and we'd only be talking about the shower pan area, not the main bathroom. Can I get away with it?
Unread 08-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #52
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Haven't I seen you guys grumble about marble in showers?
Maybe a few times. But the grumbling usually comes from owners who are trying to figure out what went wrong.

As to whether or not you can get by with those stone 2X2's on the shower floor, from what I've read here I might give it a try if the shower pan was a traditional mud/liner/mud pan. I believe the small tiles are unlikely to crack, and the multitude of grout lines will absorb some movement.

Grain of salt though, I've no first hand experience with little stone tiles over a such a substrate.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #53
HouseOfJoe

Shower Pan slope

So six weeks later and I've finally gotten my plumber to finish up and gotten my subfloor in. He does great work when he's here...just tough to GET him here! Finally ready to start making some progress.

Quick update on that mosaic tile that a lot of this thread has been about. We're still using it, but only in the shower niche. It's a big niche, so it'll still have a strong visual impact, but with none of the potential nasty side effects of a horizontal installation.

Question of the day is shower pan slope. Doing a mud base covered by Kerdi to a Kerdi drain. Pan is 57.25 X 36.5. So do I base the 1/4 inch per foot on the long or the short dimension? Or do I split the difference? If it matters the tile finally chosen for the floor is a simple porcelain 2" square.

Tempted to base it on the long, but I'm afraid if I do that the pitch of the short dimension will feel too steep.
Unread 10-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #54
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You need a minimum of that 1/4" per foot, so yes, you need to go by the long distance. If the drain is centered, that's about 3/4" drop from the furthest corner. Most people prefer a level perimeter, but it doesn't have to be, but that makes cutting the bottom row of the tile tougher to cut.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #55
cx
Moderator emeritus

Joe, keep in mind that the 1/4" per foot slope is the minimum requirement anywhere on that shower floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #56
HouseOfJoe

Schluter floor heat installation

Will hopefully be ready to install the heated floor within the next week or so. In reviewing the official Schluter videos, I see that they run 2 conduits from the thermostat electrical box to the floor for the cable run through the wall.

It's obviously necessary to protect the cable as it comes through the sill plate. Anybody have an opinion on the need for the conduit? I've still got that section of wall open, so I can easily add it. But I've got plenty on my "to do" list, so just trying to figure out how necessary it is.

Thanks!
Unread 10-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #57
Gozo

It’s more a matter of code. Bare wires within the wall will work just fine, but.... the codes are there for a purpose. Unless the wires are rated and approved for in wall use, they need to be in an approved conduit. Some areas are OK with plastic flex conduit, some require rigid metallic, etc. The cost differential is minimal for such a short run, so go with what’s required in your area. If you’re having the job inspected/permitted, it’s a moot point.
Unread 10-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #58
ss3964spd

You won't need the 120/240 feed in conduit, Joe, since your box is in the wall, but you will need to run the cold leads to the floor and the sensor wires in separate conduits.
Attached Images

Unread 10-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #59
HouseOfJoe

Thanks, Dan, and thanks for the pics. I've got precisely that setup (my floor thermostat is where your single gang plug is). On mine though it's a metal double gang box with a single gang mud cover.

I was looking at rigid non-metallic pipe and wasn't finding anything that would fit properly. But I see you're using flexible conduit. Any reason I can't do the same thing?
Unread 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #60
ss3964spd

The only possible reason you wouldn't be able to use flexible conduit would be due to local code restrictions.

That single receptacle was only temporary so I'd having something to plug tools into until I finished up all the other electrical work. That's now where the floor controller is.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase