Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
MesaTileworks

How far to take the tile...

Curious if folks on here think there are pros and cons (other than extra moisture protection) of stopping the tile at the edge of the tub vs. wrapping over the edge and down to the floor. The detail I've seen most often here is to bring the tile—ie bullnose or trim—just shy of the edge of the tub, leaving a bit of a reveal for the rounded edge. Less frequently I've seen installations where the tile extends a few inches past the tub and goes down to the floor.

Aesthetically, I don't really like the look of the latter option as much, but it does seem like it affords extra insurance against water penetration in an area that often gets wet. Are there other things to consider here?

Thanks!

-matt

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If water does exit the tub, maybe from a misplaced curtain or a door not fully closed, the ends are where that water is most likely to go. I think the majority of installations do extend the tile beyond the edge of the tub. Is it required, no.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Matt.

I’ve torn out oodles of tubs and moisture damage to the drywall where it meets the tub apron is extremely common. But it’s your house and your choice.

Are you installing a curtain or shower door? A properly installed door that is properly used will virtually eliminate water in the area in question.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
MesaTileworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg View Post
Hi, Matt.

I’ve torn out oodles a tubs and moisture damage to the drywall where it meets the tub apron is extremely common. But it’s your house and your choice.

Are you installing a curtain or shower door? A properly installed door that is properly used will virtually eliminate Any chance of water in the area in question.

We are probably installing a shower curtain. If I bring the tile about 3" beyond the tub (to match the depth of the knee wall on the other side) does that seem like an OK compromise? This would mean that on the one side in the picture, those three inches of tile might need to be drywall—to hide the seam where it would meet the CBU (which would only come as far as the face of the tub)...

But it would all be outside the shower curtain so maybe that's ok? We are using moisture resistant drywall, and as I understand it, it's ok to tile over that outside the tub as long as you've got properly waterproofed Durock for the tub surround inside where it will be getting wet.

Unread 10-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg

If the tile extended a mere 1/2” past the tub, that would adequately eliminate most of the damage I’ve seen.

I personally wouldn’t tile over drywall in this location. That’s up to you.

By the way, “moisture resistant drywall” doesn’t add any significant protection over standard drywall. While it’s sometimes required by code, the tiny bit of moisture protection is far eclipsed by the waxy coating’s bond breaking ability to keep paint properly stuck to it when it sees drops of water.

Unread 10-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Mathman

I extended the kerdi board about three inches past the edge of the tub and tlled it.
Attached Images

Unread 10-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
MesaTileworks

I'll post some more photos tomorrow to explain, but...

I'm thinking that on the left side of the tub, the till will come all the way to the corner (outside corner) 3" beyond the face of the tub. Because it's continuous, no trouble to have that be CBU all the way to the corner. Matching that on the other side, if I break the joint between the CBU and the sheetrock on the stud, it only allows for for about a 2" wide piece of CBU running down to the floor. I guess I could put that in, it just seemed so narrow that it might be compromised, structurally... If that makes sense.

Unread 10-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg

A couple thoughts: you can pre-drill a narrow piece of Durock to keep it from cracking when you fasten it.

Also, You can run your Durock out further into the area being painted, if it helps. You tape and finish the parts that will get painted with drywall compound (hot mud for at least the first two coats).

Unread 10-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
MesaTileworks

I hadn't thought of actually taking the Durock beyond the long of the tile and finishing it. That's an interesting idea. I'll talk to the guy who is doing the sheetrock and see if he's game. Also, pre-drilling the Durock on a narrow strip is a good idea.

Anyone have a sense of what is the smallest strip of Durock you can use and still have structural stability? Is 1 1/2" too thin?

Unread 10-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg

No, 1 1/2" is not too thin. But do understand you are going to finish the joint between the two materials. And if the drywall guy gets his way, he will MISTAKENLY apply water soluble joint compound across the joint, thereby inserting a weak layer into the equation. You don't want a water soluble layer on stuff getting wet. It could be argued that this area doesn't really get too wet. But if you have the choice...

I'd make the Durock extend out so that everything under the tile's foot print is bare Durock that the thinset mortar can directly bond to...and you can put on drywall compound on all the areas outside that tile to the drywall guy's delight.

Unread 10-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #11
MesaTileworks

Interesting. Is this what installers usually do? Or is this more of an above and beyond measure? I've seen quite a few jobs where that joint (which is under the tile but outside the shower) gets finished with drywall mud.

Unread 10-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg

I will answer your question in a blunt fashion that will not sit well with some installers. This answer comes from decades of what I’ve personally seen. Maybe the rest of the country does it better, but...

What do installers usually do in a situation like this? They almost always do it in a substandard way because: either they don’t know any better, the paying customer doesn’t know any better, or the contractor is taking a shortcut to aid the support of a low bid or higher profits.

Most installers would consider this “above and beyond”, when, in reality, should be thought of as a minimum standard.

Unread 10-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #13
redlude97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg
Most installers would consider this “above and beyond”, when, in reality, should be thought of as a minimum standard.
I didn't extend my backer board past the tub but haven't put drywall up yet. I can't reasonably add tile outside of the tub as I've already installed a schluter trim
Should I
1. Add 0.75" of CBU, then drywall and mud over both to blend?

2. Kerdi band on the stud overlapping onto the tub face 1/2" and onto the subfloor extending out a few inches from the base? Then drywall right up to the tub?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase