Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Probably better than the Toto resort, Mike, because I heard that place was crappy.

Sorry, I'll cede the thread to those who'll actually provide useful information.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #17
Kman

Painting something on to match the tile color was all I could think of. You'd have to find something that would hold up in those conditions, though.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #18
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Some kind of thin picture frame, pencil trim? Don't think I like how that ends, but it's a thought.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #19
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_MA View Post
Find some matching half-round or pencil trim, miter the ends, and picture frame the niches by epoxying them on so they cover the exposed tile edges.
If it creates any kind of a lip on the lower piece, it would hold water. Unless you could shave it enough to make it flush.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Years ago I had a customer use model paint. It comes in a small glass bottle and can be found at hobby stores. The paint held up well in a dry area but I don't know how well it'll do in a shower. The nail polish idea might work too.

If the installer was supposed to use the metal profile and didn't, then call him and tell him to make it right, whatever he has to do. This shouldn't be your problem. Don't pay him until he does it right.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #21
mrberryman

An oil based paint probably would hold up better. Probably could get a small tin of Rustoleum white and black and make a gray that sort of matches.
Unread 11-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #22
Gozo

Along the same line of using paint, how about using a 2 part epoxy floor paint? You probably could get a sample kit in one of many colors from one of the floor coating companies such as Armorpoxy or Legacy.
I got a few some years ago when I was doing the garage floor from a few companies to see which one I liked the best. I don’t recall the cost, but it wasn’t too much and they were like 4oz kits or so.
Unread 11-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #23
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

how can this happen?

it must have been a newish hourly worker who did the work.
I say your whole shower job should be in question. This issue is nothing compared to what a poor water proofing membrane leak issue will look like in 3-6 years. Do you have pictures from the beginning because I think you are worried about a few aphids on the rose 2 days after roundup was sprayed to kill them.

Last edited by Elkski; 11-02-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: ps.. YEs I killed a beautiful 4 year old 8'X 8' climbing rose like this.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #24
portiadeans

Solutions

Thanks all. So, we have narrowed it down to a couple of options

1) taking out the tiles in the niche and replacing with marble or granite in the niche. Finding a through body porcelain to match was too difficult and would take too long.

2) I like the pencil trim idea. I am a little worried about potential for mold growth or issues with/around the epoxy, but maybe it is no different than anywhere else

3) Saw a video where they used aluminum tile trim that was secured on the inside of the niche instead of the outside. So, take out the tile, put in the trim, and then re-install the tile in the niche thereby securing the trim.

While I was at work during the day, I did see the Schluter membrane being used, so hopefully we are good. The issues is a result of a lack of communication. Instead of asking me what I wanted, he looked in our other bathroom and saw that this is how we did the niche there, so did the same thing. Difference was that the tile in that bathroom was a through body, so it looks really good exposed.

Upward and onward . . . thanks for the help.

Beth
Unread 11-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #25
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Installers need to learn how even small details mean a lot to folks that are spending a lot of money in their bathroom. Everyone has a phone in their pocket and instead of leaving it like he did, it only takes a minute to make that call to get answers. And, if he was on top of things, he would have already asked these type questions.

Most of the work I do is from return customers. If I want more work from people, I need to make sure they are happy when I finish everything I do for them. A little common sense and consideration goes a long way.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #26
workhurts

If you go down the road of removing the tile, I’m not sure how adding a profile is a concern. The issue isn’t adding the profile. The issue is the damage to the waterproofing when removing the tile. If that doesn’t become an issue I’m sure you can find a profile that works.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase