Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
Creato

Help With High Gloss Tile

I am attempting to cut 12x24 high gloss porcelain tile with a wet saw and a brand new Alpha Porcelana blade and it continues to chip. Any suggestions on the best way to cut this tile? Should I be using a score and snap cutter?
Unread 09-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What size blade and what saw are you using? Is the table running square and true? Sometimes the back edge of the blade chips the tiles as you push the tiles thru, especially if it's not running true and square.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Creato

DEWALT saw with 10” blade. I did check and it’s square. I slowed down to a crawl how fast I was pushing the tile through and that seemed to do the trick. Taking forever to cut these but it’s not chipping now.
Unread 09-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I'm no pro but I think some new blades need to have the tall diamonds worn down and I think it takes scores of feet of tile cuts. Maybe cut a brick like some claim for dressing blades. If one side of the cut chips more it can be a non parallel blade to table feed issue like Davy said. I bought a low cost harbor freight saw and I had this issue. It seemed better after a long break in period. But best thing was using a knife sharpening stone on all cut edges that were to be exposed. Putting a chamfered on the edge really helped.

Last edited by Elkski; 09-20-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I did but a new better blade for this saw and still chipped.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
smifwal

If you have or have access to a snapper I would use that for anything straight. I get the cleanest cut from my sigma most of the time depending on the tile
Unread 09-20-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
Creato

Thanks Teddy. I tried stoning the edges but the chips were too big. But, as I mentioned above slowing down the cut to an absolute crawl fixed the problem. It’ll just take me forever to finish this job.
Unread 09-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
Creato

Shawn, I’ve been strongly considering a snapper. Been looking at the Montolit Masterpiuma Evolution 3. I’ve never owned a snapper but sure seems it’ll speed up work considerably.
Unread 09-21-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My Sigma will not snap a clean edge in the porcelain I was installing. While great for cuts that will be covered by baseboard it won't work for an edge that will be exposed, though it does leave a nice sharp, clean edge on the glaze. The body - not so much.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I rip a fire brick 4 or 5 times and it helps expose fresh diamond to the surface of the blade.

I don't own a big one but the score and snap cutters have come a long way over the years and from what I've seen, they work really well. They can get pricy too.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
smifwal

I only own sigmas so I can't speak to the other brands, but I'm completely happy with what I got. As Dan mentioned you sometimes get a gnarly edge in the body of the tile, if that happens I will run it through the wet saw and get as close as I can without actually letting it touch the finished edge and the hit it with a granite polishing pad. Most of the time however the cut it is so good that I often have to mark the edge so I don't install it backwards. I have this one Sigma 3D3M MAX Professional Tile Cutter 90cm and this one Sigma 3F4M MAX Professional Tile Cutter 151cm both with the klick-klock handles
Unread 09-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
ss3964spd

I think mine's the 3B2, Shawn, and it did save me a bunch of time but it never left a clean, wet saw like edge. Could have been the tile I was cutting or, more probable, my inexperience with it.
Unread 09-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #12
smifwal

Dan, sometimes adjusting the bar down will help you get a more consistent and deeper score. What tile did you use?
Unread 09-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #13
ss3964spd

The wall tile is CDA Elegance 12x24 Polished Bardiglio, and the main floor tile is Anatolia Mayfair 12X24 69-347 Matte Volakas Grigio.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase