Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #46
432Meyers

Yeah, roger that, I'm on to worrying about other things.

Should that entire gap from back wall end tile to side wall be filled with silicone?
Unread 09-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #47
432Meyers

I'm looking closely at the Schluter niche that I picked up. The felt doesn't wrap around the niche corners and the white foam is visible. Looks like the majority of the edges are filled with some type of adhesive or sealant but there are spots where I can't see any.

Is this normal?
Attached Images

Unread 09-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #48
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

They're made from 1/2" Kerdi Board, right? I've never really looked at Schluter's niches, but the ones I make look similar although I use Kerdi Fix to assemble.

I don't think you have any worries there.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #49
432Meyers

Yeah, it's out of 1/2". For some reason, probably the price, I was expecting something without seams on the edges.
Unread 09-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #50
432Meyers

Hey Peter, how do you usually address where a vertical Schluter profile around a window meets the window's sill? Leave a gap to fill with grout or caulk?

I'm going to do like you usually do - three sides of Schluter trim and a sill. I got some bullnose tile to create a sill - am thinking this will be better than having a continuous grout line that runs the length of the window sill just upstream of a Schluter profile.
Unread 09-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #51
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I've kinda adopted sill,(window or niche) curb top, bench top and often vanity c-top all from same material as my standard fare now, but if I were doing one with bullnose I'd be inclined to go all the way around with same bullnose or profile 4 sides.

If I'm doing sill in stone or engineered stone, I almost always put "ears" on the sill and those cover the profile. I'll leave space and caulk.

Not a window but you get the idea...
Attached Images

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #52
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I like that Peter.
Unread 09-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #53
432Meyers

Looks really slick Peter.

I found the porcelain bullnose at a second hand store and I'm going to use three of them to make the sill. They're black whereas the rest of the tile is green, otherwise I think I'd use the bullnose all the way around the window as well.

Will afternoon sun through the window on this black tile sill cause any issues?
Attached Images

Unread 09-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #54
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton
Will afternoon sun through the window on this black tile sill cause any issues?
I would probably hang something over the window for a couple of days after the tile are installed so they don't get too hot, if that's a possibility. You want them at room temperature for a few days during the drying process.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #55
432Meyers

Thanks Kevin. I set the sill pieces and covered the windows for the last few days during the afternoon to cut down on the heat.

I'm now working around the window where there's considerable tile cutting needed. I may have some help from my brother in law for part of a day and was thinking either he or I could cut tile while the other sets it.

Would it be a bad strategy to install tile all the way up both window side jambs and then all the way up the two vertical columns on the wall that flank the window? The tiles in these spots all need to be cut and this method seems like it would be most efficient for a temporary two man crew. My concern is that the grout lines might get a little skewed. I'm not all that concerned with the vertical lines as there is some play in the gaps at both of the wall's ends and the tiles here are covered up by the side wall tiles.

Any thoughts? It seems like common and best practice is to progress upwards evenly amongst the walls.
Attached Images

Unread 09-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #56
CaliGrown

Pencil out some plumb lines for your head joints based off the layout of your tile. Then layout some tile on the ground and reference the lines for your cuts, pre-cut a few rows and check them to make sure that it’s a viable method for a little bit of a production style approach. For the inside jambs of the window set your edge the scribe mark and cut all your pieces and set them in one go. Of course keep a level out to maintain as your encase the window.
- The Brutally Honest Tile Mechanics -
Joseph Peres (7/16/95 - 8/31/19)
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #57
432Meyers

Thanks Christopher. I used cardboard to make templates for the tiles to be cut around the window. It worked out pretty well.

I made a mistake in the tile layout that just now became obvious to me. Initially I took the tile to be 3" wide, but in actuality it is slightly more than this. So from the tub to the top of the window the tile on the wall is higher than I expected, leaving a 1/2" sliver above the window. Bummer.

The original plan included a strip of 1" hex sheet tile as an accent to be placed somewhere above the window. As a way to avoid a 1/2" sliver, what do you think about adding this strip centered height wise along the top of the window? The accent could be about a 5" strip, 2 1/2" both above and below the window top. Of course, this would, in my mind, necessitate the same hex tile in the top of the side window jambs and along the top jamb. Or is there some other way to deal with the 1/2" sliver a the top?

Regardless, what is the best way for this sheet hex tile strip to meet a straight edge, be it that of the green subway tile or the Schluter profile around the window? Fill the gaps left in the pattern with grout or cut through individually hexagonal to create a straight edge? Thanks everyone.
Attached Images

Unread 09-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #58
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like to cut the points off to get a straight edge. I run a whole sheet thru the saw whenever possible. Much better than cutting individual tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase