Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
godblsmnymkr

CBU joints not flush

first time doing a bathroom renovation so i'm making some mistakes as i go.
i did not put a stud behind where the 2 CBU's meet and the butt joints are off by about 1/2" on one joint and 1/4" on the other in the worst spots.
is it possible to even out the joints with a couple layers of thinset over top or is this a lost cause and i should take the time to put a stud in?

I'm using 12x24" porcelain tile.
tyvm for the advice!
PS second pic should be turned 90deg right.
Attached Images

Unread 04-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I know it's a lot of work but I would add a stud.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
What Davy said, Aaron, those 12X24's won't tolerate much deviation from a dead flat surface so any build up is likely to cause you trouble when you start setting tile.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
godblsmnymkr

where to lay first tile over curved bathtub?

hey there
I have a corner unit bathtub with a symmetrical round curve upwards to to the corner on both sides of the tub. usually with a flat rectangular, regular tub, i've seen videos where they put their spacer on the tub and then start tiling up from there.

I can't put a space on a curved surface obviously, so where do i start tiling from? do i attach 2x1 wood piece onto the wall and start tiling up from there? thanks, i'm a little confused here!
Unread 06-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Need a picture.
Unread 06-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
CaliGrown

Find your lowest point and start with a full tile from there, make a level line off that height to scribe cut your first course off the contour of the tub.
Be sure to layout your tile with spacers on the ground to avoid slivers at the ceiling if you’re going up full height, you may need to start with less than a full tile at the lowest point if that’s the case.
- The Brutally Honest Tile Mechanics -
Joseph Peres (7/16/95 - 8/31/19)
CaliGrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Elkski

I think this corner tub has a big curve against the wall so two low spots on each side away from the corner. A laser level and good tripod sure would be a good tool for this. I love mine. Yes you must plan your grout lines so no slivers. It can get complicated to figure. Need to know measurements for grout lines using your planned spacers. In my current shower i had to analyze for many locations. Bench, floor, top and bottom of sloped ceiling, mud bed top and low spot by drain, top of doorway, and the niche. It gave me a headache.
Attached Images

Unread 06-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
godblsmnymkr

my concern is a tile will just slide off its space if you are trying to tile off that curved back of the bath.
thanks guys.
Attached Images

Unread 06-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
godblsmnymkr

i should have mentioned: i'm using 12x24 tile in a vertical 1/3 offset pattern so its a little tricky if i attach a piece of wood to the wall to start tiling up from.
Unread 06-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Yes, place a starter strip and use that to set the first course. I typically set the height of the strip based on 1/2” height of the tile so I can custom cut the bottom row to match the tub profiles.

Name:  B3E3C2EC-4F0E-4632-848A-E2A3E123A7C5.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  6131CA78-8EA1-4666-AC33-C3CB9552D9A9.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  24.5 KB
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
godblsmnymkr

thanks for the reply!
i couldn't find a pic on the web for large 1/3 offset vertical tile pattern above a tub so will have to settle for this one on a shower wall. this seems pretty complicate to do over a bath from a starter strip. i'll have to do some youtubing.
Attached Images

Unread 06-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
godblsmnymkr

another question:
where would you put the first tile on this shower wall? covered under the packing blanket is a 48x35.5" fibreglass shower pan. there's a black line on the left wall about 25" from the corner that marks where the grout line will be on the floor, so i want to match them up. problem is because of dimensions, that would require a dumb 1' wide till cut from the corner to make the grout lines match.
what would you guys do here? thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

I’d not worry about lining up the floor grout line (which I have to admit I’m not really seeing in my head)

I would carefully consider the relative height of the tub versus the pan when setting my starter course to make sure I didn’t end up with a skinny on one or the other.

Last edited by PC7060; 06-04-2019 at 06:27 PM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, I like the idea of starting the layout at the lowest part of the tub and see what size cut you have at the shower floor.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
Elkski

Are the floor tiles installed? And the same width tiles? So to match lines up the wall you get a 1" cut on tub or shower corner? I think your tub corner is a focal point and this need to be even sizes at that corner and not 1". At least half width or more. Preferably close to full width.
Is different floor and wall lines so important to match? That sure complicates tile selection, grout line size and installation skills.

You have many heights to look at for slivers. Top of tub Arch, top tub rim, top shower basin, ceiling in shower if going all the way up and floor if the wall contacts the floor somewhere. Plus no slivers in all the corners. Have fun. Oh is there a window too? So top and bottom of the window too. Someone must have a spreadsheet for best grout line height. Solving for maximum minimum tile slice. Inputall the room feature heights and tile pattern and tile size and grout line size. Hit calc button
I do like that 12x24 pattern but it will be 3 times the fun to calculate.

Last edited by Elkski; 06-04-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase