Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
JanInSA

Reusing Marble Tile

I am in the midst of redoing a lousy job a friend/handyman did on my tub surround. Ripped it down to the studs. It was tiled with 3x6 by 3/8" marble tile. At least I didn't have to remove the grout since he never got around to grouting it. I popped the tiles off the substrate (hardiebacker) with a hammer and chisel/putty knife. As you can imagine, the backs of some of the tiles were chipped along the back edge(s). I am in the process of scraping off the mastic he used to set the tiles. In order to save some $$$ can I reuse the chipped tiles when I retile the tub surround? If it is unadvisable it will save me the time it's taking me to clean the tiles. Thank you for your assistance.
Unread 10-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jan.

Perfectly acceptable to re-use tiles if they are in usable condition and the backs are cleaned of unwanted material. Especially if they were actually set with "mastic" as you indicate.

If that's actually an organic adhesive, you may find it helps to soak them in water, preferably hot water, before scraping. Some of the newer organic adhesives do not re-emulsify nearly as easily as some expect, but it's worth a try. Again, that's if it's actually an organic adhesive, aka mastic.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Jan.

Keep an eye out for staining, as some mastics don’t play well with natural stone. If you’ve got a stain (not a temporary darkened moisture spot, but a discolored stain), it’s not going to come out.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #4
JanInSA

Smile Reusing Marble Tile

Quote:
Keep an eye out for staining, as some mastics don’t play well with natural stone. If you’ve got a stain (not a temporary darkened moisture spot, but a discolored stain), it’s not going to come out.
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely be on the lookout for stains.

I am soaking the tiles in water prior to scraping off the mastic. (He used Acryl-Pro when he originally set them. That's considered a mastic right?) But I'm thinking about using a large tile thinset (Eight of 3x6 weigh 5 lbs.) to reset them.

Last edited by JanInSA; 10-04-2021 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Need to add text
JanInSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you'll look on the bucket you'll see that it says it meets ANSI A136.1, Jan. That's the standard for organic adhesives, commonly called mastic. Yes, Acryl Pro is one such product.

In your friend's defense, the industry standards indicate the use of that product in a tub surround and the manufacturer indicates it for use with natural stone. I feel sure he could have done an equally poor job with a more appropriate thinset mortar.

You do not need any LHT (Large and Heavy Tile) mortar to set your small tiles, nor do I think you'd particularly like or benefit from the use of one. A modified thinset mortar (ANSI A118.4) will suffice quite well in your installation. But you can use whatever you like, including the Acryl Pro, but I'd recommend against that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 10-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
JanInSA

To Seal or Not to Seal That is the Question

I am planning to install carrara marble (3x6) on walls of tub surround. The friendly fellow at F&D suggested I soak the tiles in 511 Porous Plus Sealer prior to installation. From what I've read, the purpose of sealing is for stain resistance not waterproofing. Please provide advice before or if I should proceed with this soaking process.
Unread 10-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

I know you put your sealing question in the sealing forum, Jan, but we'll have more background for your question if it's here on your project thread.

I would recommend against that soaking idea, but I'm not an expert in either stone or sealing.

Unread 10-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi David and Catherine,

You asked about a pen that will color grout. There are a number of products out there under the heading "grout colorant." Basically, they are paint, and I have had pretty good luck using regular latex paints. Keep in mind that they are topical and will eventually wear. Might be an option, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanInSA
…The friendly fellow at F&D suggested I soak the tiles in 511 Porous Plus Sealer prior to installation.
That is called 6-sided sealing. But beware: that generic advice can be disastrous as some sealers and mortars won’t be compatible. If they aren’t compatible, the mortar will not bond to the tile. If you really want to do this, call the Tech Department of the munufacturer of the mortar you intend to use and ask for their approval of your sealer/mortar combo. Specifically ask if there will be an issue with poor bonding.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
JanInSA

This was great advice. I contacted Laticrete, and they do not recommend sealing all sides of the stone.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase