Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
MesaTileworks

2” Hex Over Ditra?

Just got off the phone with a Schluter rep and they said that, given their 2” minimum tile size spec, a 2” hex tile is fine over Ditra. Anyone do this type of install before and have tips?

Is it better to trowel some thinset flat to fill the voids and let it dry before proceeding with the tile installation, or do it all in one go?

1/4” Durock is also an option, but the extra crack isolation properties of Ditra are steering me in that direction...
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
BronsonB

I can only post with my own experience. I tiled our basement bath with 2" hex tiles over Ditra, and it went fine. I had prefilled some of the waffles but not 100% by any means. The places where it was an issue were where I had to make cuts...on edges and around where the toilet waste pipe came out of the floor (note that flange is above the tile, so I did that right).

The install looks good IMHO...but I am just a humble DIYer. I'd trust the experts on this forum.

I'm attaching a photo that was about midway through the floor tiling process. And in case you ask, the reason I didn't start in the center was because I was trying to pattern match with the shower floor, which was already done...so I started at that edge and worked out from there. Call me lucky...worked out fine.
Attached Images

Unread 03-11-2021, 11:38 PM   #3
MrBottleneck

I just got done laying Ditra a while back in my bathroom and went the prefilled method.
Worked out fantastic.
Didn’t have to worry about trying to do two things at once (fill cavities & get a nice straight trowel line).
Made sure cavities where full and was smooth.
Attached Images

Unread 03-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Matt,

Pre-filling or not pre-filling is up to you. Both methods work and are okay with Schluter.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #5
Lou_MA

Bear in mind ditra is an uncoupling membrane. For which there are no industry standards. Ditra doesn’t meet (or at least advertise themselves) as meeting the ANSI standards for crack isolation.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase