Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
MesaTileworks

Basement Bathroom Question

Starting a new project: my dad is building a house and we are doing the tile in the bathrooms. The one in the basement has an interesting problem where the elbow that connects the shower drain to the vent stack sticks out of the wall framing by about 1/2.”

This means that it gets in the way of the plane of the Durock. I’m considering cutting the CBU out around it (see photo) and filling the hole with mortar or deck mud and then covering the patch with Kerdi, unless anyone can think of a better solution. Most of the height of that patch will be below the level of the pan and even the bit that might be above it will be protected by the waterproofing membrane (planning on installing a mud pan with a Kerdi drain and kerdi membrane, so might have questions about that down the road).

MesaTileworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Short of furring out the wall framing, that sounds like a reasonable option. Were I to do that I'd try to put a scrap of metal lath across that opening before I installed my CBU to help give the fat mud a little structure. Deck mud is not what you wanna use there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
MesaTileworks

I’ve been reading up on this in preparation for making the pan... fat mud is similar to deck mud but with lime added, which gives it more stability for crafting vertical surfaces?

I am guessing that a situation like the one I have here deck mud doesn’t have the structural strength to go “up” instead of just being a horizontal surface, is that the deal?
Unread 02-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
MesaTileworks

I’ve got an additional layer of 1/2” glue ply installed in preparation for putting down Ditra. Do folks usually fill the 1/8-1/4” gaps between panels and where panel meets tub with thinset as they are laying underlayment, or leave them open? I understand they are there to allow for expansion/contraction of subfloor and just curious what the thinking is here.

Unread 02-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

I dunno what folks do, Matt, but I'd want to put some backer rod or SilSeal in the perimeter joint to protect it, or even some bond-breaker tape over it or maybe flexible sealant. And I'd hold the Ditra short of the tub, too, which I believe is the manufacturer's recommendation.

On the rest of the floor Schluter has always said to disregard the joints. Don't try to fill them, don't try not to. I'm told other manufacturers have recommended bond-breaker tape on the subfloor joints. I've never seen any of it in writing.

Unread 02-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
MesaTileworks

Anyone have thoughts on travertine for a shower? Love the look of it but I’m reading mixed reviews. Some say no bueno because of higher porosity than porcelain so it’s harder to keep clean and free of mold, others say they have it and it’s fine.
Unread 03-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
MesaTileworks

What are folks’ thoughts on cut riverstone mats for a shower floor? I really dig the look of these things, but there are many places where the stones are actually touching on the sheet, which seems bad for getting adequate grout in between the stones.

I even thought about doing a test: grouting a single sheet that’s not laid and then flipping it over to assess. Many of the stones seem to have gaps between them at the bottom even when the tops are touching, so maybe the grout would fill in those gaps and seal it up? Any success stories or horror stories of failures?

Unread 03-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
It is a beautiful look, Matt, when new but I have to think it will be a maintenance nightmare long term. That's alotta grout.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #9
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

I did some digging around before and read a lot of regrets on these types of shower floors. Like previously said, it is a lot of grout and even with a proper slope, it will have difficulty draining properly due to the uneven surface. Something to consider.

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project

Always look in the LIBERRY
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #10
MesaTileworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snets View Post
I did some digging around before and read a lot of regrets on these types of shower floors.
Are the regrets more about maintenance or have you read some accounts of them failing? I’d definitely go with the ones that are cut flat to minimize pooling, and I would make sure to seal the heck out of them. Also planning on using epoxy grout in the shower for better water resistance.

If we decide against the riverstone, I’ll probably go for the same 2” hex tiles that will be outside the shower.
Unread 03-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
speed51133

I regret my flat pebble floor. I went with white grout and after a pristine cleaning, it is already getting yellow in a few showers.

The installer (back before I dabbled in tile) managed to make a few birdbaths on the floor. Drives me nuts. I spent SOOO much money on materials that I cry thinking I will rip it all out because of the floor. I just keep putting it off. It doesn't leak and doesn't stink. 5 years old now.

Sealing doesn't make a difference. Using CLR or some kind of harsh acidic cleaner gets it clean and also makes the stones fade and dissolves the grout. Since I am going to tear it out, I don't care about that. I don't feel like scrubbing it forever. The shower is 4 feet x 8 feet.
Unread 03-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #12
MesaTileworks

Also considering just pulling the stones off the sheet at hand-setting. It’s a tiny shower so shouldn’t be too tedious.

If I go this route, will definitely use epoxy grout and go with something dark enough that dirt and stains hopefully won’t show up as much.
Unread 04-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #13
MesaTileworks

Do folks caulk the place where the CBU meets the ceiling drywall on a tub surround/shower, or is that overkill since that joint where the tile meets the drywall will be caulked anyway later? If you do caulk, do you do it before or after applying a waterproofing membrane?

8’ ceiling with tile all the way up. I guess not a “wet” area since it’s well above the level of the showerhead by >12”?

Unread 04-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

You should fill and tape that joint like any other drywall joint, Matt. Actually a code requirement in some jurisdictions.

Unread 04-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #15
MesaTileworks

OK, good to know.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase