Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #76
cx
Moderator emeritus

24 feet of tile for a 15-foot floor, Eric? I think I would be comfortable with that regardless the shape of tiles or floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #77
MTy

With Kerdi boards 24" horizontal screw schedule is there any need to put screws in a stud between a 22" span of screws? Them screws are expensive and just more holes i have to kerdi later.
Unread 03-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #78
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My OCD wouldn't allow me not to, Eric, but perhaps yours isn't quite as demanding. Helpful, no?

If you're within Schluter's fastening schedule then you should be fine.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #79
MTy

My OCD is battling with my budget mindedness, that's why I asked. Haha. I think I'll see how many screws I have left before opening a new box once I've got it all up.
Unread 03-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #80
MTy

Finally got the tub plumbing and niche finished and tub set. That niche was a pain.
Attached Images

Unread 03-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #81
BIGPHIL

Eric,

Is that a Kohler tub? If so, what model is it? Can you post a picture or two of under the front lip where the apron will be? That is one hell of a copper spider web ya got there!
Unread 03-30-2021, 08:38 PM   #82
MTy

It is the Kholer Underscore K-1121-L-0. Very solid feeling tub, even before I set it in the motar bed.
Attached Images

Unread 03-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #83
BIGPHIL

What's it look like directly under the outside tub lip (front apron)? I'm just curious to see how well and uniform the fiberglass was sprayed underneath and if there is any wood pieces embedded in it. I was between that tub and the American Standard Studio Suite and went with the latter for my recent build...not a fun rough in for that unit.
Unread 03-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #84
ss3964spd

Interesting, the Underscore and Archer (which I bought) are both apron-less drop in's but the Archer isn't fiberglass at all.

Did you install wall cleats to support the edges, Eric? And you plan to build the apron wall after the fact?
Unread 03-31-2021, 07:06 AM   #85
MTy

Phil, there is no wood and although spray is fairly even, leather gloves were required when moving it due to some sharp pieces of fiberglass.

Dan, I followed the Kholer instructions almost to a T. They didn't call for ledgers. Just setting in mortar bed or construction adhesive. I chose the mortar bed. Once that is dry it wants nails or screws in the apron to the studs. Haven't gotten those in yet.

The instructions had the front apron installed first but didn't want it supporting the tub. I didn't want to worry about drywallers around a new tub so I left the apron off so I could get the tub in after drywall.

The tub has four good sized round feet. Mine set nearly level with one leg slightly out, but I solved that with a piece of 1/8 steel I used for a shim. So the motar is just providing extra support.
Unread 03-31-2021, 07:51 AM   #86
ss3964spd

Interesting, Eric, I had assumed ledgers were needed but I just looked at the installation instructions for the first time. Low and behold, no ledgers. Pretty sure Kohler is using the same instruction sheet for multiple models. Mine doesn't have feet, it has tapered ribs that run end to end. The instructions show both feet and ribs. Also shows screwing the tiling flange to the studs.

In my mind I want the front edge fully supported by the short apron wall. Don't want that flexing if someone sits on the edge. But building it after the tub is installed and leveled might be a good way to go. Build it a little short to get it in there, install some shims between the bottom and the floor to snug the top of it up against the under side, knock it around to get it plumb, fasten it in place.
Unread 04-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #87
MTy

I'm a bit worried I don't have enough water in my thinset mixture. Kerdi is sticking fine. Versabond is thunder mortar.

I know this kerdi piece was a bit high. That has been fixed.
Attached Images

Unread 04-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #88
MTy

Somehow everything I do takes a bit longer than expected. Then there is the yard work to be done this time O' year. Hoped to have the shower pan floated but just got the curb built and cement board cut

My plan was to thinset the cbu pieces and then screw. Are both methods of attachment needed?

Any need to kerdi band over the kerdi screws near the ceiling? I'd rather not "waste" kerdi band given it's cost. Could always come back and do those if I have extra after the pan.

Looks like I missed a washer with the kerdi....
Attached Images

Unread 04-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #89
ss3964spd

Yeah, Eric, the cement board does need both; mortar, then mechanical fasteners before the mortar sets.

IMO, you really should put band on the screws near the ceiling, but if they are above the shower head then it won't be the end of the world if you don't, there's not going to be much water/moisture up there (unless it's a steam shower). But do at least fill the divots with mortar.
Unread 04-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #90
MTy

Installing my shower pan tomorrow. Thought I'd get ito it today. After youtube videos and various articles I have the process down, I think. Including the wetter mix for the kerdi drain.

However, I just read a thread about putting poly over the bed if it's going to be a while before tile. Does that apply with a kerdi shower as well? I probably won't get Kerdi on until this weekend.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase