Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Shaklee3

Laundry Room Slope

Hi, I have a house with a drain in the laundry room that appears to go directly to a pipe outside. It's on the first floor with a concrete subfloor. I've been reading some threads here, and it seems that most people do a mud slope, followed by the CBU/ditra, then tiling. Since this laundry room is so small (8x4'), could I do something as simple (or dumb?) as putting slightly more thinset under ditra near the edges to simulate a slope? I've never tried to do a mud slope, so I'm worried I'd screw something up.
Unread 02-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Cliff.

For laundry room drains it's common to leave the floor flat and level with the drain for emergency use. You could put a slope on that floor, I suppose, but if you have a failure in the plumbing or drain in your washing machine you're likely to flood the floor above any minor slope anyway.

If you actually want to try to waterproof the floor, you'll need to wrap your waterproofing up the walls a few inches and put some sort of dam across the entry door. Rarely done in my experience and not really very practical.

And for absolutely sure you don't want to use a CBU for any purpose on that floor. What did you have in mind for that?

The Ditra might be useful, but, again, not necessarily for its waterproofing capabilities. And no, you don't wanna try to create a slope while installing your Ditra if used.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
Shaklee3

Thanks CX! I have a bunch of kerdi band let over from the shower I tiled (which looks pretty good after you and others have great advice here). I'll put some of that up the walls so at least it may not come into the house if that happens. The other side is just the garage, and it'd be much better for the water to flow that way.
Unread 02-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Shaklee3

What type of paper is this?

Hi, I'm pulling out the tile from a late 80's house on concrete slab, and underneath is a mildly-sticky black paper. At first I thought it was tar paper since I've heard of people using that, but after searching this forum and the internet for pictures, tar paper looks to be quite a bit stickier than this stuff. I've also seen people mention felt paper, but their pictures don't look like it either. It appears there was no thinset used under the tiles at all; just this paper to stick to the tiles and the floor. In some places the paper comes up pretty easily, and in others it's stuck to the slab pretty well. Picture is attached.

My questions are:

1) What is this stuff?
2) Do I have to remove it all? My searches are coming up with asbestos paper in some cases, which has me worried, but it's not clear if that's what it is.
Attached Images

Unread 02-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
NEMick

What size were the tiles?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Unread 02-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Shaklee3

8" square. Earlier picture attached.
Attached Images

Unread 02-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
NEMick

Sorry about that, apparantly I didn't scroll up. 8x8 and the age if the house I would say it's not likely asbestos. You could always have it tested but at this point exposure has already occurred.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Unread 02-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
Shaklee3

Thanks for combining the threads. Wasn't sure if a new title was appropriate for search reasons. I'm assuming this stuff isn't absolutely 100% necessary to remove it all? I figured if I do a fairly good job at scraping off the hardest stuff, that's probably good enough. I'm going to be laying ditra on top.
Unread 02-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Please keep all your project questions on one thread, Cliff. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

To install Ditra, you're gonna need to remove ALL of that paper material down to clean concrete. Mechanical scarification of the surface may be necessary, but I've not tried to remove the paper, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
Shaklee3

Dang, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I'll start scraping away. Thanks!

Actually, one more related question. I've done ditra twice, and I noticed after smoothing it, if you put your knee in one spot while laying it down it creates a small divot. This can of course be smoothed out again. The confusing thing to me is the ditra manual says you can start laying tile immediately after it's down. That seems like a strange suggestion since being on your knees laying tile seems like it could throw off the flatness. Has anyone noticed this being an issue?

Last edited by Shaklee3; 02-16-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Shaklee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd get the floor clean to the concrete like Cx said and depending on how much pitch you plan to add, use SLC or patching material. Then use a paint on type membrane over the whole thing. Mapei's Auqa Defense is a good one, Lowes has it.

But, to answer your question, You can start at the far end and start installing the Ditra without getting on it. Then let it set before tiling. Those divots from you knees can cause problems, especially with small tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Shaklee3

Hi Davy, thanks for the suggestion. Do I still need something like the Mapei product if I'm doing Ditra? I'm applying kerdi band at the seams and up the wall, so I figured that with the ditra should be waterproof already. Were you suggesting in lieu of Ditra to use that?

I have another 200sqft of Ditra I needed to use up from another project .

By the way, Homer's has a compact floor stripped that appears that it's ideal for this. I'll give it a shot today.
Unread 02-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

No, use one or the other. Go ahead and use the Ditra since you have it but I think the paint on membrane would have been easier to work with.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase