Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Shaklee3

Grout Colors/Type

Hi all, new poster here. I'm finishing my first shower job with 4x16" white subway tiles above a tub. I'm not proud of it -- although I did learn a bit along the way. One of the biggest issues is that my grout lines aren't all perfect, and I would say they range from 1/16" to about 3/16". 90% of them are 1/8", though. This was mainly due to using a cheap tile scorer/snapper, and it never cut quite straight. This is a guest bathroom, and I just wasn't quite as prepared as I should have been before starting. Regardless, I'm at the point where I'm ready to grout, and I'm not sure what kind of grout to use. Sanded is obviously for >= 1/8", and unsanded for <= 1/8", but as you can see above, I'm somewhere in the middle.

Also, my local tile shop (Bedrosian) has both Bostik and Ardex grouts. Ardex they say doesn't make unsanded, so I picked up a bag of Bostik. After I got home, I realized I need the matching caulk for the corners and above tub. I'm assuming that I should always try to buy the matching caulk for the grout? They didn't carry the Bostik grout, so I would have to special order it. Should I return the Bostik and get something else? They also have the premixed versions.

If anyone is interested I can listed all my lessons learned, since it was useful for me. The biggest by far were:

1) Don't buy the smaller Kerdi board pieces. I couldn't find the floor-to-wall size pieces, so I ended up buying the smaller 36x48" ones. This created way more seams that I should have, and there are bumps where the kerdi band overlaps.
2) Don't use a tile snapper for subway tile (at least I couldn't figure out how to get this accurate). I've since invested in a Dewalt wet saw.
3) Take your time and always, always, always clean the thinset off the face of the tile and in the cracks as you go, not after it dries. Digging out dry thinset is not fun,

Last edited by Shaklee3; 05-26-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Shaklee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
rmckee84

Use the ardex Fl grout. It is capable of being used in small and large joints and is very easy to use.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
Shaklee3

Thanks! I'll see if my local shop carries it.
Unread 05-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Shaklee3

Thanks again rmckee, I picked up a bag today at my tile shop, and the caulk is on order. Glad it won't have any uncertainty.
Unread 06-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
Shaklee3

Rmckee just finish grouting with that stuff. Man, they weren't lying when they said it has a pot life of 30 minutes. I think I got maybe 10 minutes before it started to get extremely hard. Might have been because the room I was in was a little warmer. Regardless, I added a tiny bit of water to a little patch of it and kept grouting. About to rinse off and see how it looks.
Unread 06-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
rmckee84

Cold water and cool temps are your friend. Also you can re-whip it with a mixer to give you a few extra minutes if a batch starts to go off. I mix small batched personally
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase