Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #31
1HappyDad

Looking good; I hope my bathroom turns out as nice as yours did.
Unread 12-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #32
BIGPHIL

Thanks, James! From your latest project update, it sounds like you're on the right track

Didn't get to work on the project too much this weekend, but I was able to get all of the shower fixtures set. I really like how the Grohe Grohtherm SmartControl turned out. I do need to get a Kohler ClearFlo chrome conversion kit for the overflow and tub drain cover. I'd purchased brushed nickel before switching to chrome fixtures.
Attached Images

Unread 12-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #33
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Ok, I'll just come right out and admit it, I'm stealing some of your ideas and product selections for my hall/guest bath, Phil.

Am a fan of Grohe products. Used one of their hand held slide bars in my master bath, was the only one I could find that didn't have horrible reviews. Also their super flexible hose, the hand held itself, the fixed head, and head arm. Nice stuff, all.

What powers the Grohtherm controller?
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #34
BIGPHIL

Dan,
No problem...glad the project can be an influence in some way. The Grohe SmartControl is just a thermostatic valve, no power going to it. Below are the parts list for the shower fixtures:

Shower arm: Grohe Relexa shower arm, 6 5/8", part # 27412000.
Shower head: Kohler Forte, part # K-10282-AK-CP
Wall union/supply elbow: Kohler Exhale, part # K-98354-CP
Hand shower: Grohe Euphoria, part # 26466000
Shower control: Grohe Grohtherm SmartControl, part # 29138000
Tub spout: Grohe Eurostyle Cosmopolitan, part # 13284002

So a mix between Grohe and Kohler. I didn't care for the Grohe shower heads and I've got the same one in my master and really like it so I got the same one for the guest. The wall supply elbow is as nice as they come...I highly recommend it. The thing is solid brass and weighs about 1.7Lbs! Solid to say the least. The tub spout is also solid brass and just as heavy. They only give you 1/8" of play for sealing the tub spout to adapter connection so very important that the drop ell be spot on (further back is better than closer to finished wall so you have more options for 1/2" npt nipple sizes). It must also be dead plumb with the finished wall otherwise you'll end up with a gap between the escutcheon and spout. I actually had to throw in an 1/8" shim under the adapter when connecting the spout to get it dialed in perfectly.
Unread 03-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #35
laostrich

Hi Phil!

I read wedi system butyl stripe section on their literature, did you add the stripes on top of already integrates tile flange that the American standard studio model has? By reading your process, you seemed very meticulous and I’m sure you felt that by adding the stopes will be added insurance. I’m not familiar Wedi system and the system seemed not readily available in big box stores. ( well, by familiar mean I’ve never heard of unlike hardie, durock, schluter etc, just have tiny powder room floor tile job under my belt so far) Would you mind sharing your reasons to choose the system over any other system? If you already had explained in somewhere else, I apologize, I’m bit overwhelmed with so many informations on the forums.

Your bathroom looks really sharp, great craftsmanship and love all of choices you made, very tasteful!
Unread 03-28-2021, 11:15 PM   #36
BIGPHIL

Renee,

The AS studio suite tub has an integrated tiling flange, so there was no need to use the wedi butyl tub sealing tape in my case. I was able to notch the bottom of the Wedi building panels and seal them against the tiling flange with Wedi joint sealant.

As for my choice in the waterproofing system, I just liked the way Wedi systems are installed with their sealant. That's what attracted me in the first place. It's really a personal preference. If you follow the manufacturers installation instructions, any of the well know waterproofing systems should perform just fine. Working with the foam boards is very nice...compared to cement boards. With that said, I'd have no problem using Wedi, Laticrete Hydroban board (one of their three approved installation methods for non-steam rooms is that you can also just use their sealant for waterproofing seams and fasteners), or Kerdi board. There are many others products too. I'm just most familiar with Wedi products and their installation methods. Check the manufacturers websites and they should be able to tell you local distributors where you can purchase their products.

Also, thank you for the comments
Unread 04-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #37
laostrich

Hi Phil,

I came down to see T42 tub just now, and the each corner right below tub deck/rim edge has integrated bracket looking thing that supports the tub rim/deck edge, from that point, only 2” clearance to the edge ot the tub. I don’t think I can install the tile flush to the tub edge, 2x4— 1 1/2”, 1/2” underpayment/thinset. Plus 3/8” thinset and tiie so at least it will protruding 1/8”, correct? I might still get it but just wanted to check to see if I’m missing anything. Sorry to leave my question on your thread, if moderator/you wants to move it or mine, I’m totally okay. Just thought that you might see this post faster than me leaving this question on mine.

Attached is for 5.5ft tub with 36” width, but kohler doesn’t have a spec drawing showing this ledger/bracket looking part on 5ft tub.
Attached Images

Unread 04-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #38
BIGPHIL

Renee,
What if you built the front support structure a little bit lower so the brackets do not get in the way? Then maybe use your pocket screw jig to attach some short vertical supports where the brackets aren't in the way to then reach the tub lip. That, or maybe use some 1by material for the horizontal support boards with plenty of bracing and as much support you can get attached to it. I think you'll be able to make something work.
Unread 04-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #39
laostrich

Thank you Phil,
I think incorporating 1x with 2x will work, I liked the tub and .... actually got the tub before your reply, just now! I think I can work it out. Or you’ll see more post from me- to pick your brain in case I run into blocks. Thank you!
Unread 04-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #40
laostrich

Shower/tub plumbings

Hi Phil,

Shower arm: Grohe Relexa shower arm, 6 5/8", part # 27412000.
Shower head: Kohler Forte, part # K-10282-AK-CP
Wall union/supply elbow: Kohler Exhale, part # K-98354-CP
Hand shower: Grohe Euphoria, part # 26466000
Shower control: Grohe Grohtherm SmartControl, part # 29138000
Tub spout: Grohe Eurostyle Cosmopolitan, part # 13284002

So a mix between Grohe and Kohler. I didn't care for the Grohe shower heads and I've got the same one in my master and really like it so I got the same one for the guest. The wall supply elbow is as nice as they come...I highly recommend it. The thing is solid brass and weighs about 1.7Lbs! Solid to say the least. The tub spout is also solid brass and just as heavy. They only give you 1/8" of play for sealing the tub spout to adapter connection so very important that the drop ell be spot on (further back is better than closer to finished wall so you have more options for 1/2" npt nipple sizes). It must also be dead plumb with the finished wall otherwise you'll end up with a gap between the escutcheon and spout. I actually had to throw in an 1/8" shim under the adapter when connecting the spout to get it dialed in perfectly.

Based on above information, it seems like I can mix fixture and mechanical stuffs from different manufactures. Among five elements you listed( I'm hoping these will complete tub, shower and hand held that one need ) which part do you need order from the same manufacture? Sorry if this is very basic, I didn't even know you can mix things so this really opens up lots of design changes.

****Phil, I see that you replied on my thread. Thanks! I'll start any questions on my thread going forward. Dan, thanks for kindly re directing me. I guess I worried that I'll ask questions on my own and no one will reply me, lol.

Last edited by laostrich; 04-06-2021 at 08:01 PM.
laostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #41
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Renee, might be worthwhile to ask such questions within your own thread so we can keep track of all the questions and answers - the history of your project, there.

Nevertheless, yes - by and large you can mix and match most hardware from different manufacturers. The downside of doing so could be the styles won't match, and the finishes might be a bit off as well.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #42
Sclib

Love it!!!

Hi Phil, beautiful work and color choices!!

Did that tub surround tile come in 3 sizes like that or did you rip the different sized pieces?

Would you mind sharing the name and manufacturer of that tile! Might not be available in Southern AZ but wanted to look for it.....possibly similar tiles with more browns in it.

Thanks for sharing your project!!!!

NEVER MIND PHIL, FOUND THE INFO IN 2 PLACES IN THE THREAD.....I swear I looked before asking.

Scott

Last edited by Sclib; 04-06-2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
Sclib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #43
BIGPHIL

Scott,
I see you found the info. The "mixed set" as the manufacturer calls it comes pre-cut. They're roughly about 2", 4", 6" x 24" sizes.
Unread 04-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #44
Igman

Phil, Project looks fantastic. I have a question regarding your niche-is that an outside wall? If so, what climate are you in? Any issues? Cold, condensation forming? Thanks and congratulations on the nice work!
Unread 04-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #45
BIGPHIL

Igman,
The niche is on and exterior, 2x6 framed wall. I've had none of the issue you've mentioned. It was 3 layers of 1/2" EPS foam (4 counting the Wedi) that was tightly sandwiched together. The EPS foam board I used had an r-value of 3.2 per 1/2" and the Wedi 1/2" panel has an r-value of 2 I believe. So total r-value of 11.6, while a bit low, I've seen no problems. I live in western Washington. Pretty mild climate that doesn't get too cold in the winter nor to hot in summer... usually stays in the mid to upper 30's with occasionally colder temps in winter and 60-90 in summer. I actually did press my hand against the niche a few times during a snow storm we had a couple months ago and it felt fine to me.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase