Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #16
KarenA01

Jeff Wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I have some showers running over 5yrs old that aren't showing any issues with mildew or cleaning.
Thanks Jeff.

That sounds encouraging!

Quote:
My biggest complaint with that crackle glass is it will leave chipped ends when cut, just part of the crackle.
On the net I have come across across couple of places that say the way to deal with that is to put a line of superglue over the cutting line and let it dry overnight and then cut..

A different thing I saw was that the pieces should be taken off the mat, cut individually and then put into place on the wall...

So it seems a common issue.

Quote:
If you still have reservations look into Oceanside Glass and Tile.
I'll take look...

What I can see in this thread (and elsewhere) is that some have strong opinions that it should not be used in a shower, even with the manufacturer saying it is OK ... and that is what gives me pause despite the fact that we really like this one.

Thanks again,
-Karen

Last edited by KarenA01; 03-20-2021 at 07:53 PM.
KarenA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2021, 11:30 PM   #17
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Karen, you need to understand that some Chinese manufacturers don't even know what their own directions say. I wouldn't put much weight into that when it goes against the majority of manufacturers' instructions from companies that actually do research and development. For you and this tile you desire...the very best thing to do is make a small mock up and hang it in a shower at or slightly below the level you want it and see what it does.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #18
KarenA01

We will look for something else, and if we decide we still want this after that, we will test it.

BTW I assume your name is not really Tono!

Thanks
-Karen

Last edited by KarenA01; 03-21-2021 at 09:03 PM.
KarenA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #19
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenA01
...BTW I assume your name is not really Tono!
You assumed correctly. It's Tonto.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 09:51 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

But you can call him Bubba, Karen.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #21
KarenA01

Just to follow up on this discussion, while I don't know if we will go with these crackled glass and Marble mosaics yet, I emailed DryTreat customer service asking if it was appropriate to use their Stain-Proof impregnating sealer on them.

They said it was OK for that application even though not listed on their website, and recommend sealing the mosaic before it goes on the wall by laying it flat and using a paint brush to apply the sealer on the surface. They said that would be easiest.

6 sided sealing was not recommended.

-Karen
Unread 04-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #22
Autoplay
Tile Setter

To add to this discussion/topic,when I installed crackeled glass,I sealed them,so grout wouldn’t penetrate the pores of the surface,crackeled glass. The ones I installed back in the day,had a very non vitrious,porcelain body,filled with crackled glass(like your pictures I’ll presume). If you can incorporate full tiles,where the crackled glass will go,all the better! When cutting those types of pieces,in my experience,no matter how careful a person is when cutting them... it can leave a somewhat,jagged/unsmooth edge.
Unread 04-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #23
KarenA01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
To add to this discussion/topic,when I installed crackeled glass,I sealed them,so grout wouldn’t penetrate the pores of the surface,crackeled glass.
Hi Rich

A few questions if you don't mind...

Did you install any in showers? If so do you know if there were any issues long term with them?

On the edge cut... Is it a significant issue for inside corners?

There would need to be one outside corner (not in the shower) and there it would be an issue combined with the fact that that crackled glass pieces are obviously not through body...

I was wondering how that could be handled andI think I figured out a way it might be done...

These mosaics are a combination of marble and cracked glass pieces... One solution could be to sacrifice a sheet and take the marble pieces off (only need 6 at most) polish one side edge of each of those marble piece (and maybe round that sides top edge a bit and replace the crackled glass pieces on the end with those and have them then the corner could be done as |_ with the polished edge marble pieces the vertical". That way the body of the crackled class pieces would not show as with a bullnose tile.

It would be a small disruption in the pattern, but I don't think it would be very noticeable.

Would that work?

Would there be a better way?

Thanks

- Karen

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase