Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
magnum

Building a shower corner bench with Kerdi

Hello. I am renovating my bathroom and building a shower with a Kerdi Shower Kit. I already leveled the floor and installed mold resistance drywalls (per kerdi rep recommendation, I opt out from using cement board). I want to build a corner bench and not sure which option to choose. I am considering:
- Kerdi Corner Bench
- Innovis Better Bench
- Building it with 2x4s

Which would you recommend?
Unread 01-29-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Patryk.

It's really a matter of preference. I use the Better Bench because it saves a little floor space and is easy to install. I would recommend installing blocking between the studs to support it, but of course in your case that would require removing some wall board.

Downside of the Kerdi Bench is that it's not sloped on top. Also, if you cut the tray around the bench, it alters the perimeter height. And I imagine trying to install it on top of the tray messes up everything.

On a side note, Schluter recommends plain white drywall, as opposed to mold resistant drywall. After all, with Kerdi over it, it won't get wet anyway. Nothing wrong with using it above the Kerdi layer, and on the ceiling, though.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2021, 11:50 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

2" Kerdiboard for a floating one. To reinforce the long, front edge, they call for using their U-channel, then tile over it using a counter front profile. Attach it to the walls with Kerdifix. Works fine. Or, build a box with the Kerdiboard to the floor, and tile that.

I have a picture on me standing on one somewhere that was done in one of their classes prior to tiling it after just an overnight curing with the Kerdifix. Kerdifix cures at about 1/8" per day from each edge, so it just had overnight, and it held with my 230# standing on it without the front reinforcement or any tile called for that would make it all stronger. You could probably just use thinset on the edges to hold it in place, but Kerdifix is stronger.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
magnum

Thank you so much for a detailed comment!

I think I'll pass on the Kerdi Bench, as well as Better Bench as on of my walls is concrete block and the studs are very thin, might be difficult to screw the reinforcements into concrete block.

I think I'll build it with the Kerdi Board. Only thing is that I cannot find the 2" in any store nearby. Do you think I could layer 3-4 standard Kerdi board to achieve the same effect? Or build it with studs and cover with Kerdi board (hollow inside)?

Can I really trust the Kerdi fix to hold the bench for years?

Also, can I build a window sill with Kerdi Board and tile it?

Last edited by magnum; 01-30-2021 at 10:10 AM.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
Gozo

You can build the bench with 2x4 or similar lumber and use KerdiBoard as you describe. I also couldn’t find the 2” stuff by me, so went with 3/4 ply for the top and above that 1/2” drywall and just drywall for the sides. Kerdi over the whole thing and tie in with the floor and walls. Make sure you’ve got some slope to the top.
Also, if you’re using the foam tray, the bench structure goes right on to the floor before the tray. If on top of the tray, it will crush down and be unstable; not what you want. It will leave the bottom perimeter around the bench angled to the floor, so some careful measuring and cutting is need. Certainly doable.
Unread 02-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
magnum

What would be best way to start tiling my bathroom?

Hi. I am planning to tile my bathroom which is being renovated. I will have a shower with a curb, there is a window and a niche in the shower. I also have a built in corner bench. I am laying same 12x24 porcelain tiles all around the walls, different tiles on the shower pan and different on the bathroom floor. I used Kerdi membrane on the shower walls. The floor is a bit higher where the shower is.
The overall size of the bathroom is 58"W x 101"L x 94" H

I am not sure if I can use Versabond LFT modified thinset or should I go with an unmodified?

What would be the best way and place to start tiling?

Should I skip the bottom row and at the end make the cuts accordingly to the level of the floor, next cover any chips when laying the floor? Or maybe I should lay the floor everywhere first?

Should I install the Kerdi tray first or after laying the walls.

Last edited by magnum; 02-01-2021 at 06:48 PM.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Start by laying out some tiles in an open space, maybe a bedroom floor nearby. Lay out enough tiles using the spacers you want to use on the walls. That way you can do some measuring to see the approximate size cuts you'll have in the corners and at the top and bottom. I usually try to start with full tiles across the bottom but that's not always the case. I also like to center the back wall so I have the same size cuts in the corners. Here's a few questions.

1.What pattern do you plan to install with those 12x24 tiles?

2. If a broken joint pattern, how much do you plan to stagger the joints?

3. Do you have bullnose tiles for the edges?

4. Is the shower floor level around the perimeter?

5. Did you also install Kerdi on the shower floor?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #8
magnum

1.What pattern do you plan to install with those 12x24 tiles?
The tiles have a concrete look so its probably best to just stack them straight
2. If a broken joint pattern, how much do you plan to stagger the joints?
Its going to be a straight joint
3. Do you have bullnose tiles for the edges?
I dont unfortunately, but I was planning to use a metal trim on the edges
4. Is the shower floor level around the perimeter?
Its not perfectly level. The shower pan is cut to size so it has a bit different heights. The bathroom floor is also almost 1" lower than the shower at the long wall.
5. Did you also install Kerdi on the shower floor?
I have the presloped Kerdi tray but its not installed yet
Unread 02-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #9
magnum

Thinset over Kerdi membrane

Hello. I am renovating my bathroom and used Kerdi membrane in the shower. I purchased Versabond LFT thinset but not sure if I can use it over the membrane or it would be better to use an unmodified thiset, such as Mapei Uncoupling Membrane Mortar (which I used for the membrane)?

I am using 12"x24" porcelain tiles.
Unread 02-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Versabond is just fine. The "LFT" version is really only appropriate if you are using a quite large tile. Otherwise, the standard Versabond is just fine.....

Last edited by cx; 02-03-2021 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Remove irritating emoticom
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #11
magnum

I would have to use 8 tiles. The tile is 11.5" (not 12" as stated on the box) so I 8x11.5 would be 92", adding 1/8" grout is 93".

93" the highest spot in bathroom and 94" is the lowest, so I would end up with 1" gap.

Would it be better to bring the floor to level so that its 94" everywhere?
Unread 02-03-2021, 04:58 AM   #12
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by patryk
I would have to use 8 tiles. The tile is 11.5" (not 12" as stated on the box) so I 8x11.5 would be 92", adding 1/8" grout is 93".

93" the highest spot in bathroom and 94" is the lowest, so I would end up with 1" gap.

Would it be better to bring the floor to level so that its 94" everywhere?

If you are speaking of the floor as in the shower floor aren't you putting is some kind of mud bed. If so that should be level. Level at the perimeter and slope to the drain. The ceiling might be off keep that in mind they often are.

Many of us don't try to get full tiles exactly off the floor to ceiling. I normally figure so I have a nice size tile off the floor and same up at the ceiling. Lay your tiles out on the floor with the spacing you are using and figure out best layout. Layout is critical, I have ripped out many new showers because the installer started with a full tile off the shower pan and ended up with a nice gap of grout at the ceiling which pisses off the customer, they rush rush rush to get done.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #13
jeffnc

Kerdi benches are presloped. At least the rectangular ones are. There is no reason they can't be set over the pan without cutting the pan, but this doesn't gain you anything with regard to tile level. Whether you cut the pan or not, there is going to be a dip along that line, that you are either going to have to cut custom tile for, or accept a different size grout line along it. I usually choose the latter - since the wall tile overlaps the floor tile (and not vice versa), the grout line isn't very noticeable from a standing position. I often do taper cut the inside and outside tile corners to help a little, especially since there is a little buildup here from the Kerdi band and corner pieces in those spots on the floor.
Unread 02-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
speed51133

You can build one out of lumber and cement board for 20 bucks. The foam ones are over 100.

I cut the lumber and cover the top in 3/4in plywood with the slope built in. I make it strong enough so a few adults could jump on it with little if any deflection.

That's just me.
Unread 02-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #15
jeffnc

Depends on size of course, but you usually shouldn't be paying $100. It's worth it to me as it's just a cost passed on to the customer, and by the time they've paid my labor charge on building a curb, it's basically a wash or maybe even cheaper, so I go with the simplest. I usually use a slab on the curb top for many reasons, and you could put 10 people on it over the Kerdi curb and it will never budge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schluter-Sy...urb/1001052004

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase