Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-14-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
chrome_71

Mike's Upstairs Shower Project

Hi,

I am getting ready to install a kerdi board shower surround after removing an old fiberglass tub/shower surround. There is an electrical wire on a GFCI which was in place for the whirlpool pump for the old tub. I would like to re-purpose this wire for a light in the ceiling of the new shower. The wire I am starting with is only approx 1.5 feet in length, meaning I have to add to its length to reach the desired location for the light. My intent is to put an electrical box on the stud wall and splice a new length of wire with the existing one inside the box and carry on. As this will be covered over shortly after with kerdi board, I want to make sure I consider all potential issues before I proceed.

Does anyone have an experience with wiring inside shower walls? Does my plan sound correct?
Thanks in advance
Unread 01-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
mykcuz

A splice must be in a box, and the box must be accessible by code.

...... because if the slice ever pulled apart, let alone potential of electrical fire, you couldn't access it to trouble shoot future issues.

If you can trace the wire back a couple feet, maybe you could find a better location for the splice box where a cover plate wouldn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by cx; 01-14-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Rude, caution issued
mykcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #3
mykcuz

Are you sure the whirlpool wire isn't 220?

Unread 01-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
Gozo

Welcome to the forum Mike. Nothing at all wrong with wiring inside a shower wall. Supposed to be waterproof so the wire doesn’t care.
100% agree with the other Mike’s post.
Quote:
A splice must be in a box, and the box must be accessible by code.
The code’s is what it is for a reason. I’d bet you can trace the wire back a bit to find an already existing junction box to run a full length single piece, or at least place a code compliant box to run from.
Short cuts (electrical or otherwise) usual just make for more headache in another section of the project. Do it right and do it safe the first time around. I never met anyone who was sorry they did it correctly. At least not anyone that was at least half sane...
And, yeah, check the 220 just to be sure.
Unread 01-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
mykcuz

CX, Any reason you edited my post and removed the part where I said this is illegal?

Because I said the action of doing something that is illegal and has killed people is other than smart? And didn't insult the person, I stated a fact about the action.

Unread 01-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I removed the parts where you called the OP stupid, Mike, and I sent you a PM explaining the action. Please don't do it again.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #7
mykcuz

I never called the OP stupid. Now you are defaming me. I said his plan would be illegal and stupid, not him. Aka illegal and"lacking good judgement"

It's an accurate statement and does not attack the OP.

Unread 01-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Mike (Chrome71)

If you can't do as Jeff suggests, it's perfectly legal to add a box for your splice that is open through the side of the wall opposite your shower. You can simply put a blank cover plate on it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
markch

Just did a demo where there was a receptacle in the wall for a whirlpool w/ gfci adjacent to the shower. I was hoping to do something cool with the circuit such as run a steam generator, but in the end decided it was probably beyond my skill level, likely one of my few correct decisions in the process.

In the end I just had the circuit removed. For lighting it's easier to tie into an existing lighting circuit- no need to fish a cable up a wall, etc.
Unread 01-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

If the OP's planning a KerdiBoard shower, Mark, I'm thinking chances are very good that his walls will be completely open and it'll be pretty easy to route wires to a ceiling light and a switch somewhere.

Unread 01-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #11
speed51133

I don't know of any electricians that like these, but they ARE approved.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...specifications

In-wall splice with no junction box. Note, only modern non metallic romex.
Unread 01-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

That's a new one on me, Mike, but 334.40B certainly does describe something like that for "repair wiring" if it is listed. I'll hafta ask my real electrician if he's used such devices. I can certainly see the value in situations like our OP is faced with and I have been faced with many times.

Last edited by cx; 01-15-2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
Unread 01-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #13
BIGPHIL

I think this article pretty much sums it up.
Unread 01-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I looked into those splicers when I remodeled my kitchen, Phil, and uncovered the same article you linked to.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #15
speed51133

whatever. Prove that any situation is NOT a repair. I wired a new run and i cut it too short. I now need to repair it.

The wording changed but it does not qualify why it did and the article is interpreting why, which is rather subjective.

The article's conclusion:

And the splice can only be concealed when it is part of a NM cable fished behind a wall or floor. The device is never permitted in an open stud space where drywall will later cover it during the finishing phase of a remodel, regardless of the Code cycle.

Does not make sense. It can only be used when finished behind a wall or floor, but never in an open wall that is later finished. So the solution is to finish the wall, then cut it open, make the splice, then close it up....

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase