Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 11-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Happy Valley Rocked - Jerry Sandusky Arrested

I don't see a thread on this and I am not a Penn State fan, never have been but to me it isn't really about Penn State to me. It is about people who use positions of power and privilege to take advantage of others. It just happened to go on in Joe Pa's back yard and locker room shower apparently. Supposedly he was taking advantage of a young individual one Friday evening in the shower and someone saw him. He still maintained his access to the locker room even after retirement by contract. Now we may know why. I came home over lunch yesterday and watched the Press Conference by Pennsylvania's Attorney General and the head of PA State Police. They had pics of the accused and apparently they have been investigating this for 2 years so they must have evidence. It will be Penn State vs. the accusers I am sure they will foot the bill since this will and has tarnished Happy Valley already innocent or not.

He started the foundation "The Second Mile," how ironic is is that he starts a foundation for at-risk kids. If the evidence holds up the kids who were around him were at-risk. The Attorney General said Joe Paterno reported it to the guys who did nothing, did he do enough? Personally I am sure he would want to keep it in house and not get out into the public, Penn State is all about football and JoePa not molesting boys. I can hear him now... at a press conference. Lets get back to football... yeh right who is going to be asking him about football. He'll probably stay out of the public eye a while like Tiger Woods. Go hide and hope it all blows over.

If these charges hold up and he gets convicted I can read the headlines now: "Sandusky goes from Penn State to the State Pen." Those boys were taken advantage of and told to look the other way by someone of power. If he gets convicted I am sure he'll be told the look the other way too and take it. Do the crime do the time. Child molesters are cowards they take advantage of our innocent young children and scare them for life so they can get their thrills. Just makes me sick, of course innocent until proven guilty.

Quote:
Reported by the Associated Press:
An explosive sex abuse scandal and allegations of a cover-up rocked Happy Valley after former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, once considered Joe Paterno's heir apparent, was charged with sexually assaulting eight boys over 15 years. Among the allegations was that a graduate assistant saw Sandusky assault a boy in the shower at the team's practice center in 2002.

WHAT WE'RE ALL ASKING
A former coach has been charged with abusing eight minors. Greg Couch asks: How could school officials let this happen?
Sandusky retired in 1999 but continued to use the school's facilities for his work with The Second Mile, a foundation he established to help at-risk kids, where authorities say he encountered the boys. The case took on added dimension Saturday when perjury charges were announced against Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director, and Gary Schultz, vice president for finance and business. They were also accused of failing to alert police and other agencies - as required by state law - of their investigation of the allegations.

University officials said Sunday that Sandusky will be barred from campus. The school also will pay legal costs incurred by Curely and Schultz.

''This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys,'' state Attorney General Linda Kelly said Saturday in a statement.

Paterno, who last week became the coach with the most wins in Division I football history, wasn't charged, and the grand jury report didn't appear to implicate him in wrongdoing.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I think they all know what happened , ever Paterno.

but what I dont get since I dont follow this is.....
how old were these Kids/guys ?
you think if they were in college they would be over 18 ?
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
dbol

They definitly were not over 18. It is really bad news for PSU.

The Sandusky case

Information for this timeline is from a statewide grand jury presentment based on the testimony of alleged victims and witnesses.

1977 -- Assistant Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky establishes The Second Mile charity as a foster home for troubled boys in State College. The charity eventually grows into a statewide organization for disadvantaged children.

1996 -- A boy, 12, identified by the grand jury as "Victim 4," joins The Second Mile. The boy said Sandusky "attempted physical contact with him while swimming." After that, Sandusky regularly fondled and "wrestled" with the child, gave him lavish gifts and took him on trips to Penn State football games.

1998 -- When "Victim 6" was 11, he begins attending football games and other events with Sandusky. After Sandusky made the boy shower with him, the child went home, where his mother grew upset after seeing his wet hair. She reported the incident to University Police, who notified the State College police and Centre County child protective services. Investigators with the State College police and child protective services said they interviewed Sandusky and "advised Sandusky not to shower with any child again and Sandusky said he would not."

1998 -- "Victim 7," who is now 26, is coerced to shower with Sandusky in Holuba Hall at Penn State, after the two had exercised.

1998 -- "Victim 5," now 22, begins attending football games with Sandusky. When he was 10, the youth said Sandusky tried to fondle him in the showers at Penn State and made the boy touch his genitals. The victim moved away and left the room. He said Sandusky never touched him again and he wasn't invited to any more football games.

1999 -- "Victim 4" attends the Alamo Bowl game with Sandusky and his family. When he resists Sandusky's advances, the coach threatens "to send him home." Sandusky begins sexually abusing the victim inside the sauna rooms at the newly opened Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus.

1999 -- Sandusky retires from Penn State University but retains an office on campus and full access to recreational facilities.

2000 -- "Victim 3" is invited by Sandusky to his house and many football games. The coach then begins having the 12 year-old child shower with him in the Penn State football locker rooms. Sandusky fondles the child repeatedly during sleepovers, the victim, now 24, testified.

2000 -- A janitor walked into the showers at the Lasch Football Building at Penn State and sees Sandusky performing oral sex on a boy whom authorities have not identified. The child, called "Victim 8," was between the age of 11 and 13. The janitor told his supervisor, but police were never contacted.

2001 -- Sandusky publishes an autobiography about his charity work titled, "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story."

2002 -- A Penn State graduate student, whom the Patriot-News has identified as current assistant coach Mike McQueary, witnesses Sandusky sodomizing a 10-year-old boy in a shower room at Penn State. The boy is identified as "Victim 2" in the presentment. The graduate student reports what happened the next day to coach Joe Paterno, who informs Athletic Director Timothy M. Curley. The graduate student later meets with Curley and Penn State administrator Gary Schultz, who oversees the university police department. Weeks later, Curley tells the graduate student the incident has been reported to The Second Mile officials and University President Graham Spanier. Sandusky is told not to bring children into the Penn State athletic facilities any more.

2007 -- "Victim 1" says Sandusky repeatedly fondled him, bought lavish gifts and took him on trips. Sandusky would get into bed with the 13-year-old boy and perform oral sex on the child.

2008 - Officials at The Second Mile said they stopped allowing Sandusky to participate in any activities with children after he told them he was being investigated for an abuse claim.

2010 -- Sandusky retires from The Second Mile to "spend more time with his family," according to news reports at the time.

More Pennsylvania headlines

Joe Paterno fighting for his job as support for him erodes
Ex-lawmaker convicted in corruption scandal
On PSU campus, shock and 'shame'
Conspirator seeks new trial
Penn State sex scandal engulfing revered Paterno
Ex-Penn State officials surrender in abuse case
Investigators: PSU had moral, legal obligations to report abuse

Subscribe to the Tribune-Review today

Most Read
Most E-mailed
Latest News

Steelers have lots of work to do in AFC North
Penguins' Crosby not set on Friday return
Myriad reasons could end Paterno's tenure
Pennsylvania officials: PSU brass failed kids
Official tells AP that support for Paterno eroding
OLB Harrison's fury on display vs. Ravens
Penn State cancels Paterno's news conference
Steelers' Sanders out 'a couple weeks' after knee surgery
Election Day: Polls see steady stream of voters
Airport isn't presenting clean face to travelers, critic says

More VideosSports Video

Read more: Pennsylvania officials: PSU brass failed kids - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1dAbtsPNk
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
ceramictec

yeah I just read the the Grand Jury indictment ....that's unbelievable !

Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

it is very detailed so it's not for the squeamish.
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
Unread 11-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
John R

This one gets to me as a current cop, a former teacher, former minister, the husband of a kindergarten teacher, and just a regular human being.

I'm only hearing what you hear on the news, in the paper, on and sports radio stations, but it sounds like lots of people "up the chain" heard about some of what happened, but treated it like a minor issue, something that could be worked around. If that's the case, it depends on Penn state law about criminal issues, but no doubt there are serious moral lapses.

In California, I know that all elementary, middle school, and high school teachers are "mandated reporters" of child abuse, physical or sexual. That would include all coaches. I don't actually know if college teachers fall under that law in our state. They must report suspicions/indications immediately or they face the loss of their job as a teacher. They have to report, and it's up to the legal system, starting with the cops, to determine if a crime has, in fact, happened.

If they were trying to deal with this on a level of a minor incident that could be sent up the chain for eventual treatment, I would guess everyone involved could be held liable, civilly, if not criminally, for subsequent crimes. Their first obligation should have been the victims (past, present, and future) and not the university reputation/PR. (Why don't some of these folks learn that the best PR is to deal with these things up-front, and now???? We know that any institution or organization will have problem people, the ethical places deal with it ethically and become known as quality institutions.)

So nine, I hear, have come forward now. How many are there that haven't?

If the first indication had resulted in a call to the police, what could have been prevented?
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
jondon

I see there is a lot of support for Paterno, yes he has done a lot for Penn State and when you think of that school you think of him. My problem is what he didn't do, yes he reported it but as far as his ethics on the field and wins you would think he would have gone a little further but let it go. He has the most influence and has kids himself and probably grandkids, you just think he would have done a little more than the minimum.

As for the ages of these boys I may be rehashing but I think they were as young as 10 or around there. As the PA Attorney General said many victims are afraid to come forward just like a rape victim who fears they will not be believed. Yes people do lie that is the problem but when there are so many victims and more to probably come forward the tide is rolling and I am not talking about Alabama. I do think Paterno should step down, he has done a lot for the University and football but how did he follow through to make sure this sick human being was stopped? Children are our future and we cannot stand back when one is being taken advantage of or abused in any way. It is immoral and only cowards do it because they can't handle a real relationship with another human being so they take advantage of our children.

We must deal with these kinds of people and put them away, I see Sandusky is free I think, he can't be around his grandkids. What a feeling those kids must be thinking, our grampappy is a molester? People who abuse their power, kinda lead you into politics and all the scandals. Lack of morals and abuse of power, yes we got a bunch of bad apples all over. They do the crimes but deny everything and blame everyone else. It is never "their" fault, they are always the victim forget the real victims who are scared for life. I would be surprised if Sandusky takes his own life because he is such a coward. They are great when they are high and mighty taking advantage of people but when the ride is over they can't handle paying the price for their lack of morals. They put their own needs first and everyone else's second, they are invincible till they get caught and have to answer for the decisions they made. Then they run and hide. Cowards.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

What gets me is, the assistant coach walked into the bathroom and saw this guy sodomizing a 10 year old kid, Then reported it to higher ups. WTF kinda man is he? If I walked in on that, that molester wouldn't have walked out of that bathroom.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
java
Hugging Trees Oct. 1st

Burn the place down.
Unread 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
ceramictec

So a woman chasing a boy is a Cougar........
That means a man chasing a boy is a Nittany Lion ?
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
bbcamp

Bad, Brian, really bad!

Funny, though...
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
ceramictec

I am getting a bunch of them from friends on facebook. some went to Penn State.
I will hold back from posting them
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Received these throughout the day:

"I didn't know Penn State was a Catholic school."

"A few more and he'd be eligible for his own Diocese"

etc, etc...

Sickening story, but we'll be hearing jokes like this for a while i imagine.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
ceramictec

Paterno and the President are out !

Legendary Penn State coach Joe Paterno and school President Graham Spanier have lost their jobs effective immediately, university trustees announced.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
jondon

Quote:
posted by Chuck:
WTF kinda man is he? If I walked in on that, that molester wouldn't have walked out of that bathroom.
Yes, I agree Chuck I would like to know if that boy was his son as he walked by and saw that would things have been different. Guess what that boy is somebody's son that is the way I see it. Like Chuck that would have been the last time he did that to a boy

I am glad Paterno is out, he should have stepped down a long time ago. He obviously knew something and the tears he shed to his players are because the truth came out and he has to retire. I like how they get so sentimental once the truth is out, they cry for themselves. He may have cared for Penn State but obviously not for the boys who become men. His concern was football and the "Image" he built for Penn State with football. That "image" has now been torn down and they will have to rebuild and deal with all the sandal. Scandal can happen anywhere and in most cases the last place we think it would happen. There are sick individuals everywhere among us.

As for jokes there will always be some. Course when you have a son or daughter and think about some predator taking advantage of them it is kinda hard to laugh at any jokes on this subject though it is part of our society to do such things.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Jon,
I disagree with some of your points. I'm not a football fan and I don't know of anyone who went to Penn State, but I don't think that Joe Paterno was being insincere at all. He has been the head of a large and dynamic organization for a long while. To be successful in that role, you MUST delegate with the 100% expectation that others will do their job efficiently and completely. In this case, Joe Paterno did immediately notify the campus police and is own boss as soon as it was brought to his attention. I can completely see how he might have, in the absence of action taken by the campus police or the University, presumed that the incident was incorrectly perceived by his reporting assistant coach and gone on with "business as usual".
I think that every party who dropped the ball on this, either by negligence or design, needs to be held accountable but Joe Paterno might be much more innocent here than he's being portrayed. He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't do anything right either. He's guilty of letting the people who were supposed to investigate these things do their jobs (or NOT do them, as in this case) instead of inserting himself into the affair.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase