Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #14026
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Great lookin work Dave. I can only imagine the work that goes into those re-do's.

Exemplary work as usual, what's that hi-gloss grout Gman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
meat slicer

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #14027
Cain
Cain

Spectra lock Dana.

Looks like he just sealed the stones.
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #14028
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think maybe it has the sparkle-y additive (Part D?).
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #14029
Katwyk tile

More nice work to look at here Gueuze. I like to see everyone's jobs. There are so many ways today to prep showers and if done correctly they all look the same after grout. However sometimes they may not look the same after 10 years use. I have 28 years in the trade and have mostly worked on custom homes. The guys I started with in Utah never pre floated their shower floors and always wrapped the 2x4 curbs with shower pan material. I would say it was the standard in these parts. I moved to the deseret of Southern California where I learned about hot mopped pans and stucco guys lathing and scratch coating morter on the shower walls. That creates some challenges of it's own. I then moved to the East Bay area of San Francisco, again hot mopped shower floors but there the tile guys would nail up lathe using furing nails and after passing your lathe inspections you would morter float the walls usually in one step no scratch coats. I remember on remodels installing shower pans over a pre float and pouring our curbs solid with wet deck mud pushing the pan material out as close to the front of the curb as possible. We pinched some lathe over the sides of the pan material inside the curb. We never used dam corners and I have worked for 3 large shops that also never used them.

I still mostly do my pans the way I last described. I know of one shower of mine that I did 14 years ago that did fail and we discovered this after 10 years of daily use. The water was going through the outside face of the shower curb and I know if it had dam corners ontop of the curb this would not have happened.
I morter float most of my showers and starting back some 12 years ago I have always floated the entire shower and floor and then candy coated it with a shell of prp 315 and now days with what ever I have in my van with products like Hydroban, Aqua Defence or Red Guard. It helps me sleep at night knowing I have the added water proofing and crack supression. I have seen lots of morter showers with hailine cracks in the tile and I know there will usually always be a crack in the morter behind it.
Katwyk tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #14030
Katwyk tile

Heres one I am just finishing that has a shower pan liner and standard 3 piece drain. I replaced the top of the drain with an Ebbie square drain. The curb was poured solid with deck mud and then curb and shower floor coated with hydroban. The walls were morter floated and coated with prp315. The wall behind the tub area was morter floated and coated with hydroban. The bench was made out of 2" kerdiboard and after the owner saw the size wanted it bigger. I had to add on to make the top wider and I drilled and glued some 3/8"x3/8" x10" long porcelain sticks I made into the face of the bench to give it some backbone. I also imbedded some fabric mesh in the seat wrapping it all together for some more added strength.
Attached Images

Unread 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #14031
dhagin

Great lookin shower Rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
I drilled and glued some 3/8"x3/8" x10" long porcelain sticks I made into the face of the bench to give it some backbone.
You made porcelain sticks? What are you, a chemist or sorcerer or somethin? How the hell did ya do that?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #14032
tilerite

Awesome pics, everyone. Hope you guys have a great week.
tilerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #14033
Kilauea
LT

Rod,I like your drain approach and seat style.Im starting to play more with the kerdi board,myself.I just made two shampoo niches that I will post later.

Ive got a couple of questions.Im assuming that is HPG,and what looks like H ban afterwards.My question is why both?

Also,what are u using as an adhesive to glue the k board?K fix?I built a seat with some cost efficient urethane shh,seemed to work well.

Speakin of all these (gawd) damn corners!Im actually doin two walkins with Noble cpe.These work the best,but Ive been known to rig up my own in the field.I just cut about a 4'' circle out of the pvc liner,slit halfway thru,and X 15 the shh outta that b.I know some of you're thinking,"what about the pin hole?"-the rubber can actually be stretched and glued over this.The rest of u are like,"circle?slit?."Dont worry,it'll come to you later.

But hey,I got about 6 cpe corners,and about 10 pvc corners.If any of y'all need some.......
Attached Images

2nd generation tile installer
Kilauea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #14034
Kilauea
LT

Oh,Rod,my bad.Just seen that Loctite tube.I used the same setup.Im always scared thats stuff isnt gonna set up all the way on the inside area (similar to the tube conditions).What are those tubes sticking out from the seat?

Please share w the class.....thanks

Unread 07-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #14035
Kilauea
LT

Just read the back page-

Davestone,nice fireplace!Very nice detail with the pebbles

Gueuze-tile shower,very beautiful!

bloody finger,very disgusting!

So,where is the after pic with the Laticrete bandaid and one finger salute!!!!!

Unread 07-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #14036
dhagin

Those tubes LT are "porcelain sticks". Yea, thats right. Porcelain sticks. And he made em he says.

We need more on those things for sure.

Unread 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #14037
Katwyk tile

The porcelain sticks were just some 3/8" wide pieces I cut from the left over floor tile.

LT, That is hpg I used over the k-board to glue in the mesh for more strength. I like your trick on making dam corners.

These pictures are of a steamshower I built out of 3/4" k-board and used mesh tape and thinset over my seams and in my corners. I then coated the entire shower with prp315. I then did my floor Mark Tarkus style with a kerdi drain, bricks for my curb and then painted on 3 coats of aqua-D with mesh fabric on the floor and up the walls 6"or so. The bench is built from cinder blocks with 16" stepping stones on top then the bench was coated with aqua-d
Attached Images

Unread 07-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #14038
Katwyk tile

shower floor detail
Attached Images

Unread 07-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #14039
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

A lotta nice lookin jobs.
I do like doin artsy stuff for a change,but don't do much like i used to.Of course back then i never took pics thinking i would never run outta work anyway.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #14040
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

here is a dry stacked stone veneer installation we did in Seffner, FL. on an interior accent wall a week ago.

Name:  n1.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  n2.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  n3.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  n4.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  n5.jpg
Views: 4763
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  n6.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  n7.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  n8.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  n9.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  n10.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  37.1 KB
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers

Last edited by ceramictec; 07-16-2012 at 02:27 PM.
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase