Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 AM   #1
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

hands up, who hates plank tiles

owner is a fussy prick, did my best, he moaned about slight lippage but i showed him that the tiles wernt flat and turned down at the ends, he has accepted that but im waiting for payment...........
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Can’t help your situation Jim, but when I get a bowed tile batch I dry lay a bunch on customer-selected “flat” surface before starting to show them what they bought.

Even MLT can’t take the droop off dipping tips. Never had a client say return tile after the dry lay yet, but assume that will happen eventually. But they also bought off on the tile’s out of the box characteristics which prevented them from stalling later, on payday.

Other than that, they are a good diversion for me. Don’t like 48” ones tho.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Not trying to be rude but I don't like the layout, Jim. Looks like you have a 1/3 stagger that repeats every other row. I think if you would have went ahead and staggered it 1/3, 1/3 1/3 then the 1st row would be inline with the 4th row. Did you show him this layout before installing?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I agree, Davy. The pattern is too mechanical.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Planks suck and people don't want to pay more to have them installed. We even mud set them sometimes and its a nightmare.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

There's one thing I like about planks, it put tile out there as "the" floor to put down. With all the faux looks they are coming out with, it's good to be a tile man for steady work.
I had a recent bid who told me I was high email me outta the blue 10 months later for a floor. This forum has taught me to bid higher, turn out better quality work, and give back to others.
But to keep it on topic, bad tile or customers takes the fun outta the trade. If only there was a way to weed that part out?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I once had a high end builder call me. After talking about 10-15 minutes mainly about prices, he said that he had never paid that much before. I asked why he was expecting me to be the same price as the guy he wasn't happy with? He didn't have much to say. I went on my merry way and he called back a year later and we met on a job and talked again. I was even higher by then. I ended up doing his work for 17 years after that.

As far as planks go, anytime you have big tiles, you already know it's going to be tough. And, I still don't know why installers use leveling systems with warped planks. You'll need to bend the tiles to get them flat. Lifting the corners on one end is just causing more lippage else where.

Get the substrate as flat as you can and stagger 1/3 or less. I actually like the random stagger best. Looks more like hardwood, less waste and I only pop lines one direction.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Simplyjames

Always sell it as random like hardwood. Total layout liberty on each row with almost no waste. I hate clips and admit I usually just keep sliding a lippage gauge around as I go and push the limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT certified installer #015
californiaflooringltd.com
Simplyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
Just In Tile LLC

Yea when I start a plank job after prepping the floor I'll spend a lot of time on my first row. Using my box edge at least 3 of the tiles long if possible I make sure they are on point. Once I've established that primo row it sets the tone for the job and pretty much it's keeping it as flat as possible with the previous row.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:52 AM   #10
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

the homeowner picked the tile layout
Old 05-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #11
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

I love plank. I wish I did more of it.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #12
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I decided that i dislike 12x24 also. I really dislike plank and any running bond pattern in a small area.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I'm over the planking, it's defective out of the box. 8x48 is trending around us now, always floor prep before starting with that size. Im buying either the 49" or the 61" Montolit manual cutter soon. I have a 24,27,37,and 41" and I hate to get the 49" and eventually need the 61", at that size does it matter it's 10" bigger. A friend in Fla. has already done a few 60" jobs so i assume it's coming eventually.

Fun times ahead
Old 05-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #14
smifwal

I have a sigma that will cut a 60" rip. When I ordered it my wife said what the hell are you going to do with that biggest you get is 6x36. At the time it was over kill and bigger is not always better but I had a friend years ago that had a 8x48 job that had a bunch of rips that they ended up taking them to a granite shop to make the cuts for them. It is big and heavy, man is it heavy but every time I do a 8x48 job I poke my wife and say" 6x36 huh?" Oh how times change. I ended up buying a smaller one that will do a 36" rip being as it is the most common plank I get. And I would like a smaller one but can't justify having a whole bunch of cutters. The 36 was a happy median
Old 05-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't have a snap cutter for long tiles. I'm curious, how wide of a rip can you make on a snap cutter when they are 36 to 48 inches long? Looks like the longer they are, the wider the cut would have to be to keep from wasting a lot of tiles. Just wondering.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase