Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
mike007

how to use SLC?

I have to level my floor with SLC. Do I fill whole surface with SLC covering even the highest spot or just bring the lower area up to the highest?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You really want to have at least a little over the high spot. The stuff is not like water, so will try to hold together and bridge a high point, keeping it high. Only if you have enough to exceed that high point does it flow well to level. It's actually easier if it is more than just a bit deeper than that minimum. If you're doing this over a wooden subfloor, you'll also usually need lath, and you want that covered entirely as well, thus the depth.

A gauge rake makes things easier, and a porcupine roller can help, but you can live without that. A flat blade can help to smooth any ridges. When pouring, you have to keep a wet edge, and, you do not have a lot of time, so help is often prudent, if not required so someone can be mixing the next batch while you're working with the first. You need the right mixing paddle, or you'll be mixing air into it, and creating pinholes as they pop.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Mike, a lot of that depends upon what you're pouring the SLC over. Many manufacturers require reinforcing lath and a minimum thickness over wood framed floors.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
mike007

I have to add that I am talking about a concrete floor.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Over a SOG, you don't have a minimum thickness issue, but slc will still try to create a cap over a high point. You can run it to a feather edge, but you'd want to pick up some tools to do it. Most only have a working time of about 10-minutes, so you need to get the stuff mixed and placed quite quickly which works best with help. You still must ensure that the slab will absorb water if you sprinkle some on for it to work, then, you need to use the appropriate primer and cover it within the stated time (varies by brand and type, sometimes a lot).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
mike007

What's the best paddle for SLC?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Paddles designed for slc look like an oversized kitchen beater - often an egg-shaped thing with round wires. Paddles for thinset will tend to be smaller, add too much air. When mixing, do not lift up and down breaking the surface. Use a scraper like you were mixing up cake batter to get the dry stuff off the sides and fully mixed. Unless you have a fairly hefty drill motor, you may either burn it out, or not mix things properly. Note that the timer starts as soon as the powder hits the water...if you can, use cold water, the colder the better, it will give you an extra minute or more before things start to cure. And, get the stuff out of the bucket...it will get hotter quicker in a large mass - spreading it out gives you a little more working time.

The stuff isn't as dramatic as hydraulic cement, but it goes from liquid to stiff solid then hard quite quickly once it reaches a certain point and there's no going back!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
mike007

Laundry room floor

I have a small (5'x5') laundry room floor to tile. Substrate is concrete. In few days I will pour the SLC to remove some hills and then Ditra and tiles.
Since washing machine is producing a lot of vibration, what tin-set to use between ditra and concrete and ditra/tiles? Tiles are 8"x8" porcelain. I understand that I have to use an unmodified tin-set. Stores around me carry Mapei and Ardex brands.
My main concern is to use a tin-set that will last to vibrations.

Thank you.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
cx
Da Home Builder

Mike, an unmodified thinset mortar will say on the bag that it meets ANSI A118.1 when mixed with water. Look for that specification.

You want a good quality mortar, not the manufacturer's, any manufacturer's, bottom line product.

Mapei has a couple I'm aware of:

UNCOUPLING MEMBRANE MORTAR:http://www.mapei.com/public/US/produ...rtar_EN_lr.pdf
KERABOND T: http://www.mapei.com/public/US/produ...T_EN_LoRes.pdf

I'm not sufficiently trained to give you recommendations on the Ardex products, but I know they have at least one that will meet your requirements.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Kman

This one, or this one from Mapei will work.

I'm not familiar enough with Ardex products to recommend one.

If you can find Ditraset, that would be my recommendation.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
mike007

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #12
mike007

Just finished the SLC job.
Question: How tin set will stick to SLC since is so smooth?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
mike007

kerdi-Band

I am using Kerdi-Band at the joint between wall and floor. On floor I have Ditra. Wall has paint on it. What kind of thinset do I used in this situation?. Unmodified between Ditra and Kerdi-Band. What do I use between painted wall and Kerdi-Band?

Thanks,
M
Old 11-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The same unmodified will work just fine.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
cx
Da Home Builder

Mike, this part of the laundry room or the bathroom project?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase