Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
pruff

sealing glazed ceramic tile

I have a similar problem with my bathroom floor tiles. They are glazed ceramic tiles and I must have gotten some grout sealer on the tiles because there are blotchy spots. However, can I just seal the whole tile ? I actually like the glossier look of the sealer.

Thanks,
Kraul
Unread 01-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome back, Kraul, we've separated your post from that very old thread.

If you tile is glazed a sealer isn't likely to penetrate the glazing at all. Have you attempted to clean off the blotchy spots with a grout cleaner?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The glossy appearance on your tile will wear and leave it more blotchy in the future. Sometimes, dampening a cloth with more sealer, then buffing dry with say a second, clean one works to remove the old stuff. The instructions on most of them is fairly explicit to not let the sealer dry on the tile's surface, and to buff it dry after a wait to allow it to soak in (but, it won't penetrate the essentially glass glaze on the tile).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Kraul.

I agree with the others not to try putting a coating of sealer on top of a glazed surface. Like Dan said, a grout cleaner (high alkaline) will break down the sealer. Or you can try applying more sealer like Jim said, as they often will re-dissolve the sealer where you can just buff the splotches away.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase