Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
John1234

Layout dilemma

I've got a typical 3 piece bathroom vanity, toilet, and tub shower. Due to time issues (bank appraisal) I need to finish tiling the tub surround prior tiling the wall behind the toilet, vanity, and floor.

The issue is what kind of pattern/ layout looks good continuing from the tub surround? The wife likes the marble look tiles but rejected the vertical running bond pattern. Not sure if small tiles would be appropriate. The tile is intended to go from the steel tub up to the ceiling. Could attempt to weave in later but I've not done that with a square edged tile.

I don't want to waste time with fiberglass panels only to tear them out later.

Any layout ideas? Border tile?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

There’s a lot of possibilities. It may help speed up the decision process if you both took a run to a tile store to look at displays and tile selections. I’m general, big tiles have been “in” for quite awhile and getting bigger every year. Smaller tiles are much less popular.

It sounds like you’re going to run the tile at least 5’ above the top of the tub, but a lower height around the rest of the room?

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
John1234

Yes, it's probably 5.5 feet above the tub to the ceiling and about 4 feet above the floor (1/2 the wall height) at a later date. I'm sure there are some patterns that would work I just haven't seen any.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

To clarify...
You haven't seen any patterns that would work with marble tiles? Or you haven't seen any patterns that would work with a tub surround and tiling half-way up the walls of the rest of the bathroom?

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #5
John1234

The issue is I need to stop the tile at the edge of the tub then finish tiling halfway up the wall at a later date.

The tile pattern has to have a vertical line at 30 inches, the width of the tub. That mean a pattern with a 10 inch repeat?

I'm finding a few patterns. What would you guys do if you had to stop at come back and finish the 1/2 way up walls later?
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sorry, I guess I'm missing something, I don't quite understand the problem. I wouldn't stop the tiles at the edge of the tub but would run it out beyond the tub so it will go on down to the floor. How much time do you need to tile the whole thing?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase