Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
ItalianDadx2

My wife is going to kill me...

Hello all!

New to this forum and new to flooring... In April of 2018 I decided that I was going to remodel our century homes bathroom... I thought I was doing pretty well until I got to the flooring and have been at a complete halt since December. The reason is I'm pretty confident the ditra I laid is wrong, what I'm looking for is advice on either how to possibly fix or to abandon the process and go with luxury vinyl... Here is the history... I completely ripped out the original wood floor and replaced with 3/4 OSB. When I got to the Ditra, the modified thinnest mortar I used was mixed as instructed... The problem was instead of it having the consistency of maybe a soupy oatmeal, it was more like day old peanut butter... (I should have stopped here) Instead I spread it out the best I could and got the Ditra down. It adhered better than I thought, but I'm left with little hills and valleys in the Ditra... Is there a way to save this and still be able to lay tile, or should I just forget it and go with luxury vinyl... I really do not want to rip up and start over, but I'm obviously no pro and would value the opinions of those who do this every day...

Thank you,

Anthony
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #2
speed51133

how did you spread it? what did you use?

how big are these hills and valleys?

I would say this is probably a non-starter IF they are substantial.

Can you lay a level across some of them and post pics of any gaps under the level?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Well Anthony, if your wife kills you, this will be her problem, no?

Judging from your description, I doubt the mortar really embedded into the fleece on Ditra...not a good place to start.

Regardless of your finish flooring choice is I think you're gonna want to pull up Ditra and get down to subfloor. The consistency of thinset and surface coating on some OSB might prove to be a benefit in removal.

I imagine you've got some scraping and perhaps grinding in your future.

What's the story on the 1x grid on wall in photo?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
ItalianDadx2

@speed5113... I used MAPEI Ceramic Tile Polymer-Enriched Thin-Set Mortar along with MAPEI Liquid Latex Mortar Additive... I used the Schluter 11/64 X 11/64 Trowel to spread... I will get some close up pics when I get home...

@Carbidetooth... If I pull up Ditra do think the OSB will be salvageable...? I attached some pics of where I'm going with my grid... LOL
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Yes on saving OSB, but choice of tools will be dependent on adhesion of thinset. In order of increasing force and keeping mess manageable. You're far along in remodel process at this point.

1. Heavy floor scraper. Powered by arms and shoulders.

2. Demo hammer with wide chisel blade. Rentable. Plugs in and can even be a little fun to use. I'd hang plastic on walls, it can throw stuff around and generate some dust and debris.

3. Grinder with diamond cup wheel. Can have vacuum attachment. Really, really dusty, last resort in your case but will certainly get job done.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase