Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Just In Tile LLC

Kerdi Fix/Wedi - Sika Equivalent?

Does Sika make a product close to or equivalent to kerdi fix or Wedi sealant?

Or similar to how Wedi sealant spreads and give the sealant function rather than adhesive function.
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
speed51133

to my knowledge kerdi fix is not intended to be a sealant. it is an adhesive. although i know people use it as such, which appears as more of an off-label use.

i have HEARD and read of people using sikaflex sealant as a substitute for kerdi-fix.

https://retail.usa.sika.com/en/produ...tion-sealant-0

i have no idea on the effectiveness.

i have never used wedi and have not discussed it with anyone knowledgeable, but i do know what it is.
Unread 02-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Just In Tile LLC

I’ve never used kerdi fix Mike hah but I’ve used Wedi and the application is dreamy. It’s just that I have to mail order that stuff and have a good stock of Sika products at my local Lowe’s. I’m wanting to seal a window frame to my paint on membrane , and wanted a product that can still be bonded to.
Unread 02-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

So the Sika sealant is awesome, has that rubbery-ness you need to smooth it like Wedi sealant. It doesn’t setup nearly as fast though, wonder if there’s an accelerant I can mist on it?

I’ve starting using the Ca glue and accelerant trick for trim work prefabs on small pieces. Works awesome and strong enough for everything I’ve done. Made accelerant from isopropyl alcohol and small amount of water in a mist pump.

All that to say I wonder if there is an accelerant for the Sika sealant?
Unread 02-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It's been awhile since I looked, but I did find a product similar to KerdiFix, but it was more expensive. I pretty much dismissed looking further, and the product's name has drifted away.

FWIW, KerdiFix in a seam cures all of about 1/8" per day from either side...it isn't fast. But, a bead along a 2" edge of KerdiBoard adhered to a wall was able to support me after about 10-hours. The stuff will cure underwater, too and has zero VOC components.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

Pretty amazing the properties they are getting out of these sealants Jim.

Saw this while I was at Lowe’s today too. https://www.gorillatough.com/product...sive-ultimate/
Unread 02-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
speed51133

it's also 10 bucks, at least at lowes. You can get kerdifix for 23 and use amazon for next day free shipping if you have prime.

i just don't think it's worth it to risk an issue.
Unread 02-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #8
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Depending on what it's attached to, KerdiFix can exceed 1200psi shear strength.

The only other one that I found that was similar specs was designed as a metal roof sealant...same chemical composition and stability. IMHO, beware of others. Schluter is pretty conservative, and yes, some of their products may be overkill, but they know they will work if you use them as designed under adverse conditions. In the scheme of things, that knowledge is worthwhile for long-term. Who really knows how long some of those others people have tried will work. I know I don't, and don't have the lab to test them, either. Luckily, most applications don't stress them too much, and 'lesser' products might work fine. I'm just not ready to take chances for the savings of a few bucks.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 02-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #9
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

I use SikaBond Construction Adhesive when I install GoBoard. It's available in 20 oz cartridges for a reasonable price at Home Depot. I'm not sure about compatibility with other shower systems. It has good workability, but doesn't quite dry as quick as the Wedi sealant. JM lists it as one of their alternatives:

https://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/gl...Jan%202018.pdf

Wedi sealant would be my top choice if I could ensure compatibility. I can get it locally for just a little bit more than the Sika and it's perfect in just about every way.

My issue with Kerdifix, besides the cost, is that it's my understanding that it really isn't waterproof.
Unread 02-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #10
CaliGrown

Justin, where in the heck would you need any of this pokey nonsense in a mud shower?
Just teasing, I’ve had good experiences with Noble Sealant 150 and Laticrete’s Latisil (The one for the Hydroban Board Seams and Screws not the color matched silicones). Couldn’t get either one off my hands and still have some stuck on my pants. Noble’s seemed a lot more tenacious in my limited experience.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Kerdifix is indeed waterproof. ANd, it will cure underwater. The instructor at one of their classes indicated he used it as the adhesive to make an underwater patch to the liner of a pool...works fine. It cures at about 1/8" per day from the edges towards the middle, so while it will tack up fairly quickly, it does take awhile to reach full strength, depending on how far you've spread it. All of those properties play into how long you need to wait for flood testing and adding tile. Generally, you can tile immediately after installing KerdiFix, but might want to wait for a flood test. You're supposed to wait to allow any mortar to cure a bit on the Kerdiband seams, so this shouldn't be a factor.

The only other product I've found with very similar specs was a Sika product designed for sealing the roof of metal trailers...same chemical base, and also waterproof. Costs more than KerdiFix, too. Choosing some other formulation could risk literally melting the foam of things like the curb, KerdiBoard, or a foam pan.

FWIW, be careful with PVC cement and cleaner around foam products...dissolves it quite well!
Unread 02-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

I can't remember where I saw the KerdiFix not being a sealant/waterproof. Maybe it was the Kerdi waterproofing test discussion.
Unread 02-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #13
Just In Tile LLC

Cali Grown, hah I painted my mud with Ardex 8+9 this time around, and I wanted a sealant that bridged the window frame to the Ardex POM.

I usually use a self seal flashing (protect-o wrap) for all my waterproofing under the mud in everything that isn’t a flat wall. I like 6 mil poly under my mud where the walls are.
Unread 02-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

When I buy Kerdi fix locally they have to blow the dust off the tubes that were stored in a south Texas warehouse....

I've been using Sikaflex construction adhesive for years. Its waterproof and cured by exposure to the moisture in the air.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #15
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Is this the Sika product you're talking about? https://usa.sika.com/en/construction...lex-11-fc.html

Kerdifix has a higher hardness and strength...up to multiple times stronger plus, has NO VOC's. You wouldn't want a thick layer that you then added tile to...it's not a rigid material. THe Schluter training tech that gave one class says that to tile, they've measured over 1200psi shear strength using KerdiFix, lots more than the minimum spec. This Sika product also has a fair amount of VOC content, which also means that it will shrink some during cure. Kerdifix has zero VOC, so doesn't shrink during curing - Kerdifix is 100% solids. It appears that Kerdifix skins over in about 10-minutes...the Sika product, 2-hours, but cure rates are hard to determine since they are each spec'ed in different means. The Kerdifix can be installed above 40-degrees...the Sika product wants it between 65-75-degrees, but can be stored at about the same temps as KerdiFix.

So, what may work for you, may or may not stand up long term under some conditions. They are not equivalent products. How well it flows so it can seal the fleece on Kerdi, can't say on the Sika product. We know it works with KerdiFix.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase