Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
branimal
Jake

Schluter linear tray - plywood deck not level

I’m installing a linear tray with a linear drain.

The floor is off level by 7/16” across 54”. And it’s sloping in the wrong direction.

See pic.

And simple solutions to this one?

Thanks!!

Unread 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The less expensive solution would be to take the preformed tray back, and make your own sloped surface using deckmud, then cover with Kerdi fabric.

Otherwise, you could use something like Ardex's Liquid Backerboard to level the surface, let that cure, then install the tray.

Or, tear out the subflooring, add some sisters to the existing joists that are level, then add back some subflooring, resulting in a level surface. That would likely require some blocking to have all edges supported properly. May be hard, depending on where any ducts, wiring, or plumbing may be.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
branimal
Jake

I like the ardex self leveling idea. I've used Custom Building products Level quik product in the past. I also have plenty of that pre-applicator bottle left.

I haven't bought the tray yet. Though I do have a Schluter linear drain sitting around from a previous project. Interesting idea on making a sloped surface with deckmud. I am a bit nervous about doing that. Getting it sloped perfectly and such. How can I integrate the deckmud with the schluter linear drain?

Thanks Jim.

Last edited by branimal; 02-13-2020 at 05:05 PM.
branimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Any of the Schluter drains can be set into deck mud just fine...the Kerdiband material around it seals just fine to deck mud or KerdiBoard, or Kerdi.

There must be a video on Schluter's website that shows that, but the Kerdi Shower Handbook should as well.

Many of the SLC's need a moderately thick layer and lath to work properly over plywood...that LiquidBackerboard does not, and goes just fine over plywood. You'd want to verify the maximum thickness, but it does feather out to nothing properly...most SLC materials don't over ply, only over a slab.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase