Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 11-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
cpnc1837692

Aggregate (cement) tiles need surface repair

Project is about 1000 square feet of dark green cement based tile. The aggregate may be quartz and or feldspar. The whole thing could probably use deep cleaning, sealing and polishing. However the owner only wants damaged tile repaired or replaced. Damage was caused by standing spots of liquids (water, juice) for too long. The tiles are deeply etched. They either need to be ground down and polished or replaced. The replacement tiles were stored outside for years and have light etching due to condensation (acid rain/fog like). The potential replacement tiles look fine by being wet with water. Wood varnish or automotive clear coat also looks good.

So the question is, what is the best sealer for the replacement tiles? Miracle Tile, Stone and Grout sealer does nothing visible. I have heard that Miracle 511 Porous Plus might work. I would like something that will stay there for a long time, not requiring cleaning and re-sealing often. So I ask for a little patience while y'all educate me. I am familiar with other coatings like oil and water based varnishes and automotive clear coats. Those all have catalyzed versions that are even tougher. So why would you not advise trying those.
Attached Images

Unread 11-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Oh, boy. Only a partial job is desired by the homeowner...and the replacement tiles are etched. I’m a glutton for punishment, but even I would be awfully leery about tangling myself into this job.

This sounds like a big expensive stone restoration job.

For me, I don’t think I’d get involved on any sort of fix unless an enhancing sealer (not penetrating sealers like the Miracle sealers you mentioned):
1) Made the etching/scratching look acceptable, and
2) Did not alter the color/sheen (in the slightest!) of the rest of the undamage portions of the tile.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

How thick are the tiles? They look similar to the old terrazzo 12x12 we used to install. Seems like those were 3/4- 1 inch thick.

If it is Terrazzo, you may have to replace the worse tiles and if the homeowner wants the floor to look like new, have a restoration company grind and polish it similar to the way granite and marble floors are done.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
cpnc1837692

Thanks for replies. Owner doesn't really like the tile, but $12,000 to replace them all is out of the question right now. So what we do now is a make do, hopefully temporary fix, to cover up the most glaring issues. However temporary can often turn into a long time when other priorities interfere.

The tiles are 3/8". I believe the original homeowner bought the tiles from a surplus/seconds store as many of them have small to medium defects. I guess that it would be be better to apply the cost of grinding and polishing the entire floor to the replacement project.
Unread 11-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Only 3/8” think? Hmmm...interesting. Do you have a picture of the front and back of a spare tile you could share?

From the first pic, it looks like the tiles have no shine or polish to them at all. Are these tiles a bit rough in texture or are they smooth?

And have you experimented with an enhancer?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Chas,

I've never seen a cement tile that thin. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but are we sure they are cement?
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase