Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

CTEF Washington State

I'd like to see if we can't get together 7 people interested in doing it in Washington/Seattle area or nearby. I've got 1 employee so that's 2 so far. If we can get 7 or more it's only $225. I've got a bunch of tile laying around I can donate, just got to see quantities needed, not sure I can cover it all.

Anyone interested?
Jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Dal TIle

Chad,
Dal Tile has been very helpful with donations of tile and space. It might behoove you to talk to the manager and see if he can help get some more contractors interested. I do not know how long it has been since a workshop has been in your area, but it is a great time to gather some support at one of these events. Let me know if i can help in any way. Good Luck.
John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Chad,
I'm on board for this. I've wanted to get this feather for my cap for years now, but haven't been able to sell myself on the travel. Bringing Mohammad to the mountain makes perfect sense to me.
John,
Our Dal distributor here in Seattle is on life-support; too many eggs in the commercial-building basket. They are in the process of consolidating their Daltile, Dalstone, Dalslab and the American-Olean operations into one smaller location and then loosing about 30% of their staff. I don't think they are in any position to be "generous" with space or materials right now. Never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
jcsa
Tile Contractor

Dal TIle

Shaughn,
They may think they are not in the position on a local level. But if they get the call from the higher ups, they might make the time and space. It depends on who and how it is being presented. Sometimes the directive from the home office does not trickle down to every branch. Dal is on board with the workshops and i cannot image that they would not be supportive of the CTEF. Let me know how much success you have with the branch manager before we make a few phones calls. Dal is behind better installations. They are tired of poor installations and trying to play referee. They are very supportive of the CTI. So let me know how i can help. Good Luck.
John Cox

jcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
pooky

yup

I'd be down for 225

keep me in the loop fellas

thx
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

John,
I have no doubt that Dal Corporate is on-board to support these seminars, but I think my own preference would be to find a host who is enthusiastic rather than one who is compelled or otherwise sees this as a burden. Our local Dal has a LOT on it's collective plate. I'd have no problem approaching them, but if they weren't immediately enthusiastic I'd rather go down the road.
Plenty of other interested parties here in Seattle.
Shaughnn
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

I'm in. I'll bring my new helper too. We're calling him Henry. 6.3.10. He'll be wielding a margin trowel soon enough.
Attached Images

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Damn, Matt. Put some clothes on that boy. He's lookin' the chills! :^)
I'm so happy for you and your wife. Hank's got a real good life ahead of him.
Shaughnn
Unread 06-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
gueuzeman

A boy named Henry........

in a Hydroban diaper.

gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Is this the class or just the test? Class for sure. Test - I can take anytime. Specifics?

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

the 3rd? no kidding? same birthday as me! Awesome Matt. Congrats!
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Apollo

I would be interested..
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Scott Carothers

Chad,

I have been working for the last several weeks on setting up Certified Tile Installer (CTI) sites in the upper North West. I will get back to you as soon as I have locations and dates. Please note that the CTI program is a hands-on and written test of your skills and knowledge and is not to be considered a training program.

As you may know, we need a minimum of ten and a maximum of twenty "better quality" tile installers with a minimum of two years experience as a full-time tile installer . Please visit our website and click on the photo of the installer for more information. For more detailed information about the program, please send me an email at scott@tilecareer.com

One added benefit to becoming certified is that you are eligible to participate in our coupon program, "It Pay$ 2 B Certified." If a single installer pays the registration fee of $295 and successfully completes the testing, he or she is entitled to their choice of $300 in selected manufacturer's coupons. A really great deal. If you are a NTCA member in good standing, you pay only $150 per installer and also get coupons. An even better deal.

It really does pay to be certified.

Thanks for your support and interest.

Scott Carothers
Executive Director, CTEF
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

I was reading a posting in another ctef thread where someone thought a minumum of 7 was all we needed to get you guys out here. 10 then, no problem, I think we sit at 8 so far just from the guys here plus me and my 1 employee. Thanks for clearing that up and popping in here. Updates will be appreciated.
Unread 06-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

Keeping this thread alive. Was going through my storage unit laying a plan on attack to get rid of it and move things into my garage, and i figure I have quite a bit of tile in there I'd be more than willing to donate to the ctef testing. Not sure if they have to be certain sizes, or if they just want us all to have the same amounts of each. I have lots of 12's, and 8x10's in various colors. I was in at Master Wholesale but didn't bring it up to Blake, was too busy trying to haggle him down on the price for a Rackatack with chest pad.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase