Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-25-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
origprod

Bathroom baseboard question

I'm getting ready to tile a small alcove -- really a "water closet," a 30" x 66" room that has only a toilet in it. I removed the thick carpet (!), pad and carpet strips to expose the concrete slab. My question is what to do about the baseboards. They're already way above the slab surface. Should I remove them and replace them (lower) after tiling? I can stand a gap between the top of the baseboards and the wallpaper I hate and am going to strip off anyway, but the door jamb is also undercut. I can't very well move that down. Or should I cram in a foam backer rod and slip the tiles underneath the edge of the baseboards, and caulk whatever gap is left?

I'll be using 12", 1/4" thick ceramic tile.

Any suggestions?
origprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-25-2003, 09:43 AM   #2
bbcamp

Hi, origprod, welcome to the forum! How 'bout a first name?

Well, yes you can move the door, frame and all down to the finished floor level. The trim should hide the difference at the top. It's a little more work, but you'll never have to worry about what to say to your friends when they point out how crappy the door jamb looks next to that professional-looking tile job and new baseboards!

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 10:17 AM   #3
origprod

Oh, right...

Sorry! My name is Cindy. Pleased to make your acquaintance, and thanks for the speedy reply!

Actually, though, I really can't move the door jamb down. The rest of the bathroom, from the middle of the jamb outward, is still carpeted. So the side of the jamb on the outside the alcove still has to fit above that thick carpet.

Eventually we'll be replacing all the carpet with tile, but it's going to be a while.
Unread 06-25-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

I'd probably remove the Base, and buy new and re-install. It is hard to re-use Base, unless it is paint grade.

The door jamb is problematic. To do it right would mean removing all the casings, the jamb, and the door, and reinstalling. Assuming this is plain 4 inch paint grade casing, I think I would hot melt a small piece the bottom end grain, spackle and paint. But the door will be high, too, and I'd just leave that hanging high.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 12:05 PM   #5
Art in Stone
Flooring Contractor -- Las Vegas

Hello Cindy.
Can you give us a measurement from the slab to the base board/ Jam? Thanks.

"If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it?

Stephen King
Art in Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 12:34 PM   #6
origprod

The gap

It's about 1/2".
Unread 06-25-2003, 12:48 PM   #7
Art in Stone
Flooring Contractor -- Las Vegas

Cindy,
Just a thought, but you might want to try a 1/2" trowel. I think you might be able to just push the tile right underneath the base boards if it's only 1/2". 1/4" for you tile and 1/4" for thinset= 1/2"

"If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it?

Stephen King
Art in Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Cindy. Welcome aboard.

I agree with Ramon. I would push the tile under the base and under the door jamb and casings too. Fill the crack between the base and surface of the tile with colored caulking.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
origprod

Thanks, guys! I think I'll try slipping the tiles under the baseboards, at least until I get ready to tile the rest of the bathroom.

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 06-26-2003, 06:19 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mmmm, that's a pretty small space, Cindy, maybe you could just spend a few dollars for some kinda tile that's thicker, eh? A fella can afford to spend a lot on her tile when it's only 15 square feet or so. The big guys can tell you lotsa kinds of tile that are 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick that would do well in that space.

My opinion; worth price charged.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 06:40 AM   #11
Mick

Send a message via AIM to Mick
I would rip out the baseboard and replace with new. For that area it is not a significant expense to buy new. Start fooling with thicknesses of thinset to adjust elevations for a DIY'r and it could lead to disasters if it isn't even all around. Just my thoughts.

Mick
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase