Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 05-26-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

"Sauce For The Goose..."

With the horrible, recent shootings at our schools...what is the answer? When I was growing up. we had rifles in the back of our trucks at school..for shooting after school. I went to a Military Academy and we had a basement shooting range for .22 rifles. We had an armory with our Garand rifles for drill practice.

In Israel, there have been exactly TWO school shootings in the last 44 years. Why not more? Many teachers there are armed with high calibre rifles and this kinda discourages random school shootings. Why not here? Simply because of the "product" vs the behavior. Out-of-control kids are not held accountable and their "social messaging: is not taken to heart. In the most recent, the shooter posted that he wanted to kill his grandmother...and he shot her in the face. Then, he posted that he wanted to "shoot up an elementary school." Still, no one took him seriously. We all know the result.

There are plenty of ex military personnel that would happily stand guard in these schools...but that ain't happening.

As an "adjunct," the media loves to proclaim "Dozens killed by an AR Rifle" or some such. To be totally accurate, it should be "Dozens killed by a disturbed youth or psychopath." and calls for "Gun Control." Well...far more people are killed by motor vehicles...but we don't hear about "Killed by a Ford Fusion or killed by a Suburban," right? It's always "Killed by a maniac in a truck," eh?

Essentially, it's the mindset of the perp...NOT the device, but we don't have the outcry about banning Ford, do we?

A gun, rifle or shotgun or brick is only a tool...so why do we demonize the tool?

Put security in the schools and teach your children to do what's right. This is the ONLY way....

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
Just In Tile LLC

Where I'm at Laz (Palestine, Tx) the schools have signs at the entrance that say teachers are armed. These have been up for at least a year or more.

I don't think there is one answer that solves this issue, society has changed, not the rifle that's for sure.

I think less parenting (which has so many facets as to the why, but both parents required to earn a paycheck just to survive is one example), the increasing access to media that is unrestricted and unrestrained to the age that is viewing it, our society not seeing anything that is sacred or off limits to public display or broadcast and a lack of moral fortitude in general have been some things that contribute to where we are today.

At the end of the day, the only options left are regulation (not what I want)because as people we can't govern ourselves morally/virtuously anymore which means you need more and more restrictive laws to try and keep things in check. - Just my views as a low level tile guy
Unread 05-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
Mathman

You may want to check on the veracity of that Israel story about armed teachers.
As an actual teacher in a public school, I can honestly say me being armed in a classroom would be a ridiculous idea in any other country but America.
But, in truth, it is just one more ridiculous idea about teaching in America.
So, as the onion so succinctly and sarcastically says.

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
Wednesday 9:00AM
Alerts
Image for article titled ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
UVALDE, TX—In the hours following a violent rampage in Texas in which a lone attacker killed at least 21 individuals and injured several others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Idaho resident Kathy Miller, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

Unread 05-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It didn't help that the police stood in the hallway for 40-minutes before they summoned up a master key and went in...seems like a mistake in judgement as was the teacher that had propped open the door he entered...maybe for some air?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Sure, Kirk. Here you go...

https://www.westernjournal.com/israe...ure-kids-safe/

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Unread 05-28-2022, 08:45 AM   #6
Mathman

Yea, you are welcome to believe that site.
A multitude of other reputable sites disagree.
Believe what you wish.
Unread 05-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

While it is true that a teacher may be armed, as is their right, it is mandated that armed security be present in every school. Didn't imply that armed teachers were roaming the halls...

Unread 05-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #8
Mathman

Maybe Israel's gun control laws have something to do with the lack of school shootings. Theirs are definitely different from the USA.
Unread 05-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Very true. They don't let felons and illegal gun holders get off with a slap on the wrist and "no bond" release...unlike cities like Chicago and Baltimore.

Unread 05-28-2022, 04:54 PM   #10
Just In Tile LLC

My father-in-law is Israeli, and his parents still reside there, I didn't ask specifically about this situation, but from talks with him before he has told me that you have to give a reason to want to own a firearm, and when that is approved it's for a certain amount of time and you need to renew it otherwise it becomes illegal to posses after that time frame.

He has also said that police usually stay in their vehicles as you approach them, not the other way around.

He has also said that their form of government assistance works differently, they will help you out for a period of time (I remember him saying 6 months) then the state finds a job for you if you haven't already found one, if you deny that job, no more assistance...he said it might be not be the most desirable job..but a job nonetheless.
Unread 05-28-2022, 05:21 PM   #11
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Justin....thanks for the insight.

Unread 05-28-2022, 07:13 PM   #12
Mathman

The also don't allow teenagers to own guns, and have quite extensive regulations and requirements for permits for owning guns.

They also don't seem to have America's obsession with guns.
Unread 05-28-2022, 08:37 PM   #13
Gozo

When I turned 18, first thing I did was go with some friends to the liquor store (I quickly learned not to drink the whole thing in one sitting). Now with the drinking age at 21 here, kids have got to find something else to do to celebrate adulthood. Maybe if we lowered the drinking age back to 18; they’d buy booze instead of guns. Or even worse, mixing booze and guns (and youthful inexperience). I can see that turning out poorly.
There used to be a saying, “Stop the world; I want to get off”. I feel that way watching the news these days. I watch less of it more recently.
Unread 05-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Think about what the country was like when the 2nd amendment was written...the cities were small, most people worked on farms and plantations, you were just as likely to find a bear, wolf, or other critter around the corner or out the door. We had just gotten out from under colonial rule, so an active militia was a useful thing, and without a gun, you'd be cannon fodder or creature food. IOW, the right to own a gun meant you might live another day and be able to help keep from being ruled by the current king or queen 3,000 miles away.

Today, that's not a likely thing to happen. We have a standing army, national guard, local police departments, and, except for some parts of the country, no big likelihood of being eaten by a wild creature or have to hunt them for food.

IOW, the original intent and rationale for the right to have a gun doesn't really exist much anymore. One retired supreme court justice advocated repealing the amendment, or if not, edit it by adding a phrase "while active in service to a militia". The likelihood of that happening is slim to none, but would hold to the actual intent.

FWIW, the text of the 2nd amendment is as follows:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So, does that mean that everyone that wishes to own a gun is officially part of the militia? The existing army, navy, air force, marines, national guard, police departments all have required training and selection requirements to join, even volunteers. That it's been corrupted to mean that any yahoo that wants a gun has a right to one...that's not what the amendment says, or, IMHO, means.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people owning a gun, but I do think that there are a bunch of them that shouldn't really have one. While I've used a firearm (earned Expert in the Army), and occasionally when someone wanted me to tag along at a firing range, I have no desire to actually own one, or to hunt. I realize others do, but I also feel they need some background checks and training before that's possible. It's not a God given right, or IMHO, what the constitution says or means, either.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 05-28-2022 at 09:11 PM.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #15
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase