Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
rwalker28

Looking for this paper.

Hi, I am looking for this paper. I would like to get some for a project. I am pretty certain I have seen this in the last year or so, but I am stymied at identifying it. I can't do a search, because i don't know what to call it specific enough to ID it. I saw it used on an old tile job from the 1970's is why I am asking here, but i think I have seen some recently and can't remember where, I just don't know where to get it.

It is a greenish paper, with closely spaced "corduroy" type lines, probably in the machine direction during manufacturing. It is a 2 ply paper, as you can see, it looks like the paper is coated with the black stuff, and then two rolls of it are run black side to black side to stick it together, and the closely spaced lines are where it is laminated together.

If anyone knows what this is called, or better where to get it, can you please let me know?

If I am violating some sort of rule, please forgive me, I have never posted here before....
Attached Images

Last edited by rwalker28; 10-02-2021 at 06:20 PM. Reason: clarification and spelling.
rwalker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #2
Kman

Looks like part of the dead sea scrolls.

What is is used for?

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2021, 11:01 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like the moisture-retarder kraft-facing on wall/ceiling/floor insulation. I think I even see staple holes.

Your not searching for Aquabar, are you?

If you tell us what application are you going to employ this paper for, we might be able to get you more info.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool guy -kg
. Your not searching for Aquabar, are you?
I think that might be the right guess
Attached Images

Unread 10-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg

You still there, rwalker?

Unread 10-14-2021, 11:15 PM   #6
rwalker28

Hello, and thank you for answering. This paper was used for 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tile in bath and kitchen counter in 1950's era condo I own and am remodeling. I think this is the way it was used. The paper was laid down first on the counter top's wood strip inset base (spaces were in between the wood strips, I think to allow the dry pack to dry/cure), and then chicken wire stapled over the paper to stabilize and establish the height of the chicken wire in the paper/chicken wire base. Then dry pack mortar was laid down to form the counter top base about 1 to 1 1/2 " thick with the chicken wire encapsulated in the mortar to act as a reinforcement, and the paper kept the mortar in place. Sink was laid down onto the dry pack at this time. After the dry pack cured and set, the counter top was tiled in and trimmed and the back splash tiled in as well. Counters were shot, so I pulled them out, and built new counters made to tile in the same way. It you are old enough to remember Color Tile stores, they had dozens of colors of 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 tiles. When I took the old counters out, the tile surfaces was fine, tiles were worn from being 50 years old, but they weren't cracked, grout was stained but intact. I am of the age that that kind of counter looks better to me than some granite or Formica counter job, and it lasted 50 years, so why not just do it the same way again. Sorry it took me a bit to answer, I keep busy.
Unread 10-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #7
rwalker28

The other thing is, is this aquabar material pretty thin? The old paper is really thin.

I suppose I could use other things, but the old paper sure seemed to work pretty well, why not try to find it?

The last comment i have about trying to find this paper, I have been looking for a long time. I rescued as much as I could when I tore the counters out and there was no ID marking of any kind. This aquabar might not be the exact thing, but it looks like a good substitute, I bet that old stuff is no longer available anyways.

So again, thank you all.

Last edited by rwalker28; 10-14-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Unread 10-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #8
smifwal

Fortifiber 70-195 Tile Underlayment Roll, 500 sq. ft., Brown https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A41JGAU...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Unread 10-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #9
rwalker28

I ordered a roll of this. Price is negligible for the project. Thank you. I have been looking at posts on this website for several years, lots of good info here.

Last edited by rwalker28; 10-15-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Unread 10-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker28
I[f] you are old enough to remember Color Tile stores...
If? I worked for Color Tile.

Unread 10-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #11
rwalker28

"If? I worked for Color Tile." LOL...

LOL... Even as a kid I liked that place when the folks would go and we would go with, all the colors... When we moved to Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) from Illinois in the early 1970's, every house I was in had 4 1/4" tiled in baths and kitchens.

Now it is very hard to find places that sell 4 1/4" tiles with all the finishers, edging, etc. I found a place in LA that still makes a selection of colors and a lot of the edges pieces, inside/outside angle bits, etc. (at least they did a couple of years ago). I bought tile for a two bathrooms and a kitchen, and besides having to drive to LA, it was a heck of a lot more $ than it used to be. But this is off topic now. Thank you for your help...
Unread 10-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg

You’re welcome.

Yeah, the availability of small tiles are severely limited compared to a few decades ago.

With the advent of much more powerful tile presses, tiles have grown in size and most folks say, “The bigger, the better”.

Unread 10-21-2021, 09:59 AM   #13
rwalker28

Well, I got the aforementioned paper on the recommendation here. It has good specs, and it feels like what I had before. I appreciate the help.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase