Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #421
Bugman
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Looks Like It's BACK

I was browsing through the April 2007 issue of Workbench magazine and what should appear on p. 50 but a four page spread, Floating Floor Tile. I was going to reference their online summary of this issue, but they don't list this article. Hmmmm! Here's a couple of intro quotes:

Quote:
Installing a tile floor is a sizable undertaking. And our homeowners, with their limited experience and busy lifestyle, weren't sure it was a job they could take on. A "floating" tile floor, though, meant this project was well within the range of this family's ability. . . In the case of tile, that means no mastic or thinset adhesive. . . . All of that notwithstanding, installing a floating tile floor is not necessarily foolproof. And we can't completely agree with Edge Flooring's assertion that this system is remarkably faster than conventional tile. But it does make for a great looking floor without a lot of the hassle and mess of a more traditional tile floor installation.
They go on to describe the system as "two granite or porcelain tiles adhered to an engineered lumber backer board." "Two other key components of the system are flexible grout and a rubberized underlayment."

I wonder how long before this thread gets active again?
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #422
dcousins

There is another company out there with a similar product. I saw it advertised in a recent magazine. I meant to mention it here, but was too lazy to look for this thread.
Unread 02-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #423
Bugman
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I did a Google search on Edge Flooring, the company that is making the floating tile system written up in Workbench. I also searched on Edge Precizion Tile and came across a link to the manufacturing company. Guess what, same website. http://www.edgeflooring.com/
Unread 03-31-2007, 12:08 AM   #424
sadbulldog128

Angry Another Sucker Here!

I wish I would've found this thread a long time ago. I'm seriously kicking myself.

We purchased this lovely product 9/05. We followed the directions to the T, and our floor was completely level. Of course, the grout lines started cracking, then the tiles started cracking. After the grout started literally falling out, I went to Lowes to get more . . . discontinued! What a shocker! They don't even make the tile or grout that I have anymore!! Last summer I called the credit card that I had put that purchase on to find the receipt - of course they couldn't go back more than 12 months (I called like 10/06!) So tonight, while cleaning out a file cabinet I found those receipts!! I guess I'll start with Lowes but I'm beyond pissed and ready to fight till I get my money back! I don't understand how they can make a product that is obviously flawed and then blame the consumer!?! What the heck?!?

Also, I'm just curious . .what colors did most people install? Was it a particular color line? Did the colors change from the original line to the "new improved line"? The color we installed was Mocha, I can't remember the grout color but it was the same brownish tone.
sadbulldog128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #425
hailey051

My husband and I remodeled our bathroom in 8/05 and used the Edge flooring. We thought it would be a great and easy way to do ceramic flooring. WRONG! Now 2 1/2 years later and half of our tiles have cracked. It's horrible. I contacted Lowe's today and they told me the company went bankrupt. He gave me a number of TES Inc. that is handling the claims. I'm going to have my husband call when he gets home tonight. Our bathroom isn't very big but I know it cost us around $500 or more just for the flooring and grout. Not to mention the special blades to cut the tile (we returned though because a regular diamond blade worked better). I know I don't have the receipt from then so I'm hoping they can still do something for us. Plus the whole bathroom needs regrouted because the grout has cracked and looks settled in some areas. Anyone else had to file a claim with this TES?
hailey051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #426
EAP

We, too, installed Edge tile in a basement bath in August of 2004. We have something like 17 cracked tiles. But we made the mistake of buying 8 more cases of Edge and 8 more cans of their grout and some other stuff for another project.

That stuff just occupies space on the basement floor because I refuse to install any more of the stuff.

You mention TES to approach for possible compensation. What is that and how do we contact them?

Thanks for anyone's help.
EAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #427
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Lowes isn't bankrupt and that is where you bought them. It's not your problem Edge went belly up.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #428
hailey051

TES is the company that is handling the claims for the Edge flooring. I don't know how far we will get because I haven't been able to locate the receipt for the flooring. We have cracked tiles and a lor of the grout has sunk and cracked which makes the floor look dirty. Here is the number Lowe's gave me for the TES, Inc. 1-866-914-3343. I know one of the reasons we went with that floor was the warranty/guarantee that came with it. It's not our fault the company is now under. The warranty should still hold true. Hope this helps.
hailey051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #429
MudGuy
Pass the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey051
I don't know how far we will get because I haven't been able to locate the receipt for the flooring.
If you used a credit card to make that purchase, Lowes can produce a receipt for you.
Unread 05-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #430
EAP

Hey thanks for the phone number and the other advice from others too!

I think we paid for this stuff on a LOWES Credit Card. I have all the receipts and documentation just not with me at the moment.

I wonder if that gives us any legal recourse?

P.S. I got on my hands and knees and discoverd a few more cracked tiles. The stuff just does not stop...cracking up!
Unread 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #431
kris77

Just wondering if anybody has heard anything back from this TES company or Lowes for that matter.

I just had to rip up about 300 sq/ft of this stuff in my kitchen. Lowes is willing to discount some new flooring for me, but i'd like to do something about the old stuff. They pretty much told me this company was out of business and there was nothing they could do.

The store manager said if I could provide some information to him, he would make some phone calls and see what this TES company is all about, but that phone number a few posts up is no longer valid.

Anybody have any new information?

Thanks
kris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #432
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

You bought it from Lowes.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #433
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Edge is gone forever. http://www.edgeflooring.com/

dont think you'll find anything associated with them now.

there are some numbers in these posts and a email.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...5&postcount=28

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...&postcount=428

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #434
EAP

Sorry for posting late. I did not realize I had been on extended leave here this long!

I can not help you. I was left holding the bag for a large basement bathroom using Edge as well as 8 1/2 extra cases and 7 cans of grout for another room, which I did not tile with edge.

I noticed that you said Lowe's was offering a "discount"? By chance, do you remember what amount? (Yeah, it's been 4 months).

Ya never know unless you ask!

We have bought from Lowes more than the others for the last 8-10 years. You'd think they would be more accomodating.

Who knows?

Mister Ed
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #435
just a guy yo

edge flooring for sale

Today in Vancouver Washington our local newpaper promoted the opening of another Habitat for Humanity store. They sell donations and such. We went there and they had so many colors to choose from for $7.50 sq.ft.

No returns on purchases.
1-866-914-3343 wasn't a working number for me either.
just a guy yo is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase